Tony Butler | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tony Butler

Only a few mentions of Hope and yet Harris and yet Harris - brought in for that one season somehow gets a mention.

Tony Butler had one season under Pulis and then went to Blackpool for 225,000 and even better things after that.

Remembered more for his OGs rather than as a solid CB.

Kura - 8/2/2018 23:01

Dave Peach.
Penalty king, 30 plus before he missed.
Could be first ex Gill to play in F.A Cup final.

But isn't this supposed to be about Center Backs? Dave Peach was one of the best full-backs we ever had.

Best CB's I saw were -

Steve Bruce (obvious and head & shoulders above).
Colin Greenhall (most cultured)
John Overton
Dave "Big Ship" Shipperley
Dave Quirke & Joe Jaques (pairing for a lot of our div4 championship)

Mentions for Mark Weatherley (who played everywhere for us), John Sitton & Peter Shaw.

Not too much finesse about most of the above, but I don't think many opposition forwards fancied playing against these blokes.

I will admit, and I might be alone here, I was pretty impressed with Max Ehmer in the two live games I saw last season. The 2-1 loss at Bristol Rovers and the 1-1 v Charlton. Both games we were fairly solid at the back and lost/drew to goals that all came in the last 10 mins of both matches. To me he seemed solid, read the games well, organised the back line and looked at ease on the ball. Maybe he's not like that all the time, but I liked him.

Not a bad shout for Ehmer. He's had a bit of a rough ride in the last couple of seasons having to play with a variety of partners. Plus, he's still plying his trade; peoples' favourites are all past players often viewed through rose tinted memories.

Buddha - 8/2/2018 18:18

Alan Walker deserves a mention - captainreblue, is it him you were thinking of when you mentioned the thud of head hitting the post, or did Greenall also do that?

Good spot, Buddha. :14:

I was going to put Walker in my top 10 but then remembered Grenall, and for some reason ( dementia probably) I still linked Grenall to the Walker incident.

Memory is a funny thing. I always remembered Greenall scoring a hat-trick of own goals against Birmingham in the Cup. But it was a false memory, he only scored one o.g. that day.

Used to love his headband though...

Mike Burgess - THE hardest CB we ever had. His nickname "Spider" disguised just how tough in the tackle he was. Will never forget his bloodied display away to Hull in the 60s