Tonight's Team | Page 4 | Vital Football

Tonight's Team

All a bit weird isn't it.

3rd highest scorers, 2nd worst goals against.

What's the bet that when we sort out the defending, the goals dry up.

A great comeback though. Never a dull moment supporting the Gills.

We'll probably beat Wimbledon 3-2 after going one down.

Must admit our penalties do look soft and would be spitting blood if they were given against. But who cares , we are long overdue a bit bit of luck or important decisions going our way

Don't think anyone could argue about the first. The bloke grabbed a big portion of his shirt and pulled him back. If seen by ref then always a pen.

In a largely anonymous team, I thought Wagstaff played very well. On this showing, he can run and can cross the ball (oh, and shoot :14: ). Hope he keeps it up.

Oshilaja too had a good game in my opinion. One problem in the first half was that we kept passing the ball out to Oshilaja rather than mix it up by using Wagstaff. I think JED may have said something at half time.

Of all the penalties, the one against Oshilaja was spot on. One of the most blatant pieces of shirt tugging I've seen. The ref couldn't possibly ignore it. The second of our penalties was needless from their point of view but technically had to be given, particularly in view of the one he gave them (which I couldn't see at the match and have just watched on t'interweb).

It's only the second match I've been to so far this season but JET again bemused me. There are glimpses there of a very good player indeed. Unfortunately to get the 15 minutes of that, we had to endure 80 minutes of below average performance. Others have said that we don't play to JET's strengths. I'd say that he doesn't play to ours. Having said that, I was impressed with his long throws. At around the 80 minute mark he took what was I think the first one which he plopped into their penalty area causing all sorts of panic. And it was his throw that started our "final" move (daft of their keeper to punt the ball out to try and waste time as it happens). But as I put in a posting from the ground, Nelson was shouting at him to mark someone at their first free kick (which I thought at the time was a soft decision, but at least was consistent with what happened later). And Nelson was remonstrating with him after they'd scored. In the warm up, he again looked somewhat disinterested (though not as bad as at Scunny). I know that part is boring, but it is necessary and you can at least try and make it fun. Watch Mary Poppins for inspiration.

List coming on added a lot of pace and desire into our attacks. And also galvanised JET into actually moving around in the centre of the field (rather than wandering around from wing to wing). A good move there.

Thought Ehmer had a decent game. He did the simple things well but what was he doing on the right wing near Wagstaff later on? We almost fell to a counter attack then.

But our biggest problem is the narrowness of our midfield. This happened last season too. I'm all for giving our player on the ball an outlet to pass to, but standing 2 yards away doesn't actually get the ball anywhere in general. Too often there was a huge gap between the wingers and 3 or 4 guys in the centre of midfield.

On that latter subject, what system did we play? At the very start it looked like 3 at the back. But sometimes there were 6 as the wingers and at least one other (usually Byrne I think) slotted in. Sometimes we had 6 across midfield.

JET wandered around quite a bit which meant we didn't actually have a striker for long periods. A few decent crosses went begging for that reason.

Overall, our problem is that the team just didn't gel. They looked like a group of strangers who've come together for one match. Overall, using Waldo's scoring I'd give JET a 5, Wagstaff, Oshilaja and possible Ehmer a 7 but the overall team a 4.

Finally, a word on our third goal. That showed all the things we're good at. Direct running at the opposition. Not all the fancy (and very, very slow) build up play, jeepers we were so prissy at times it was laughable. Chesterfield had so much time to organise themselves and get comfortable that I expected the tea lady to come on at any moment.

Loved that report Skully. Made me smile. Thanks.

PS - these so called "soft" penalties are fine as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy to see the laws enforced properly. A foul is a foul. A little nudge of a foul or little shirt tug, eg as a player goes up for a header, is a penalty. It has the same effect on the player's attempt at scoring as a blatant push. Anyone agree?

Interesting read Skullduggery, thank you.

Not sure I agree with everything you say but then we each see games differently. I would agree that the game was not a classic and also that Chesterfield fans may have felt slightly hard done-by.

Having said that the two penalties awarded to the Gills, were both clear pens from where I was sitting; both pens were awarded at the end where we were seated. JET`s penalty taking style didn`t look that convincing but it was clearly enough to psyche-out the keeper. Well played JET.

Apart from the smash & grab goal in the first minute Chesterfield hardly set foot in our half for the first quarter-hour. With five across the middle we had a lot of early possession but, apart from a JET pivot & shoot effort, which was blocked by a defender, we didn`t penetrate their area enough. Shots, on the edge of the box by, I think, Byrne and Knott, were both powerfully struck but went just over the bar. Our passing play looked decent but from 20 minutes in our level of possession reduced and Chesterfield increased theirs, forcing the play into our half. They may have been 2-0 up at HT but i thought the half was a pretty even affair.

I was pleased that in the second half we still tried to pass the ball rather than resort to hoofing it. Even Max played a few smooth passes out of our zone ! JET won a good number of flick-ons and held the play up reasonably well IMO. I thought he worked pretty hard and, after last night, i`m still reluctant to board the JET critics`bandwagon.

Bradley ran his socks off all game long giving the impression that he is well on the way back to full fitness. I thought that Pask had a pretty decent game too, more self assured and fluent with his passing. Wagstaff was quality, when we can afford to play him in his best position he`s gonna be a terrific asset.

Oldaker had an impressive first full game. He sprayed some lovely long pin-point passes forward and to the flank and was good taking free kicks as well. He showed good promise, a bright prospect indeed on that performance.

We didn`t deserve to win the game but the level of industry exhibited by the Gills justified the point. I`ve seen us play better this season, i`ve also seen us play worse ! Well done Gills.

Gills1958 - 28/9/2016 11:16
PS - these so called "soft" penalties are fine as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy to see the laws enforced properly. A foul is a foul. A little nudge of a foul or little shirt tug, eg as a player goes up for a header, is a penalty. It has the same effect on the player's attempt at scoring as a blatant push. Anyone agree?
Yes, providing the refs are consistent. Going by the RK commentary Mr Kettle wasn't consistent in the treatment of fouls, we got bookings whereas Chesterfield didn't for the same or worse (and, to be fair to RK's crap commentator/pundit they do say when one of our players deserves/deserved a card).

http://fan-of-mulligan.tumblr.com/post/151433831717/fom-blog-chesterfield-3-3-gillingham

This Is My FOM BLOG for Gillingham's 3-3 draw away against Chesterfield - Enjoy