Tom Shaw | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tom Shaw

We didn’t have any “Product” in the first team for decades never mind the youth system that wasn’t in place
If you’d spent less time day dreaming during PE you could of made it !

The youth system has been in place for decades. It has achieved almost nothing.

Where is the evidence Tom '3 jobs' Shaw has changed that?

Your claim, not mine.

Your claim, not mine.
Im not sure how long tom has been in the job and i dont know how long it takes to start of producing or seeing the fruits of labour . But i would say a few years surely

Sam Long, Sean Roughan have both come out recently.

Your claim, not mine.
I think this is very unfair of you to be claiming someone’s not doing their job well when actually, the only evidence we have on their overall job performance is that they are still in a role so the opinions that really matter evidently disagree with you.

Youth academy has given us Sam Long and Sean Roughan this season. Plus the promising youngsters we saw pre season. Plus the FA Youth Cup runs we’ve had recently. In recent years we’ve also had Ellis Chapman, Alex Simmons, Conner Robinson and a few others who stepped up to play when asked. And of course Lee Frecklington is one of ours. Think there were a couple snatched up by Villa’s academy too at one point?

But, you’re probably going to say they didn’t sell for millions of pounds so the academy hasn’t done it’s job. In which case how about we discuss the most important part of any football club which is it’s social responsibilities. The club is more active than ever as far as I can see within the community and therefore I would class everyone there as being successful in their role.

Please stop trying to belittle people, it helps absolutely no one.

Sam Long, Sean Roughan have both come out recently.

I think this is very unfair of you to be claiming someone’s not doing their job well when actually, the only evidence we have on their overall job performance is that they are still in a role so the opinions that really matter evidently disagree with you.

Youth academy has given us Sam Long and Sean Roughan this season. Plus the promising youngsters we saw pre season. Plus the FA Youth Cup runs we’ve had recently. In recent years we’ve also had Ellis Chapman, Alex Simmons, Conner Robinson and a few others who stepped up to play when asked. And of course Lee Frecklington is one of ours. Think there were a couple snatched up by Villa’s academy too at one point?

But, you’re probably going to say they didn’t sell for millions of pounds so the academy hasn’t done it’s job. In which case how about we discuss the most important part of any football club which is it’s social responsibilities. The club is more active than ever as far as I can see within the community and therefore I would class everyone there as being successful in their role.

Please stop trying to belittle people, it helps absolutely no one.

I'm not belittling anyone. I am sceptical that Tom Shaw is going to be managing a non-League football club whilst running our academy and undertaking a third role. That seems a lot to take on, but maybe he can do it.

Or maybe the idea is Trinity becomes a proving-ground for our youth. Who knows? I suppose that might work for some of them.

Roughan and Long do look promising. The other players you mention never really established themselves as first-team regulars or did much for us (or anyone else after they left).

I've already acknowledged the community aspect: hugely important.

But I'd like to see some product. There hasn't been much in the last 20 years.

He'll have done a cracking job when youth product gets:

a) sold for profit
b) becomes regular 1st team material

Until then, same old same old.
As always, in the lower leagues it's the intangible elements to it e.g. the link between the community and the Club. Probably worth noting that anyone half decent will get snapped up well before they can play for us anyway.

The best hope we have is what we seem to have been doing recently, something I mentioned years ago, and recruiting the 16-18 players who've been released from higher league sides in the hope that there are some that slip through the net over the years.

Also, I might be wrong but hasn't Shaw got two, maybe even 3, guys above him? We have a Head of Academy (guy we recruited from Luton) and Head of Coaching.

But I'd like to see some product. There hasn't been much in the last 20 years.
How do you define that? In players making first team appearances, players we can sell, frequency of players coming through? What about using it to train coaches, perhaps Tom Shaw is seen of as a potential first team coach or manager and this is seen as a possible route to help get him 'promoted' to first team duties?

How do you define that? In players making first team appearances, players we can sell, frequency of players coming through? What about using it to train coaches, perhaps Tom Shaw is seen of as a potential first team coach or manager and this is seen as a possible route to help get him 'promoted' to first team duties?

Anyway you like! :grinning:

I mean, all good points and maybe I just have unrealistic expectations.

And yes, perhaps the new model does need more time as it does seem to have changed somewhat.

Go on then, put some figures down to what what you think should be acceptable against those categories.

I think we should be aiming for:
1) A minimum of one regular first team starter and 2 squad players coming through our youth system each season.
2) In addition I say we should be aiming to sell on a fully developed player to a higher club for "significant money" who has been an important first team player for us once every 3 years. This will fund the acquiring of development players and the scouting system to support it.
3) Sell a couple of our existing squad players to some of our peer teams who need a hole filling (just like we signed Jones and McGrandles from MK Dons) so we can bring through the next generation

Given we hired Jez George in October 2018 and he revamped our youth system completely 2 years ago (?) I'd say we've got another 2 to 3 years before we see anyone from that process in the first category and 5 years in the second category.

Freddie Draper for instance isn't going to be a starting regular for us right now or next season, Sean Roughan might well be our next "squad player" next season but he clearly doesn't have anywhere near enough pace to start regularly at full back in MA's plans, he might make a centre back though.

It seems obvious to me that to fill in we have been (and should continue to do so) signing young players who are not making it at a higher level who can be coached to play at our current level very rapidly (whatever that is going forward) Tayo and Lewis are the ones we have picked up I think with this plan and I assume that the club trust that they might develop well enough to sell on.

Trinity fans probably won't like being an Imps youth side, nor an experiment for our benefit, but I imagine he will try and get them playing in an attractive style so it could work well perchance.

I thought that nobody liked the idea of B-sides in the pyramid?

This is the thin end of the wedge.

Should Lincoln City go the whole hog and become a West Bromwich Albion experimental outfit?

I think we should be aiming for:
1) A minimum of one regular first team starter and 2 squad players coming through our youth system each season.
2) In addition I say we should be aiming to sell on a fully developed player to a higher club for "significant money" who has been an important first team player for us once every 3 years. This will fund the acquiring of development players and the scouting system to support it.
3) Sell a couple of our existing squad players to some of our peer teams who need a hole filling (just like we signed Jones and McGrandles from MK Dons) so we can bring through the next generation

Given we hired Jez George in October 2018 and he revamped our youth system completely 2 years ago (?) I'd say we've got another 2 to 3 years before we see anyone from that process in the first category and 5 years in the second category.

Freddie Draper for instance isn't going to be a starting regular for us right now or next season, Sean Roughan might well be our next "squad player" next season but he clearly doesn't have anywhere near enough pace to start regularly at full back in MA's plans, he might make a centre back though.

It seems obvious to me that to fill in we have been (and should continue to do so) signing young players who are not making it at a higher level who can be coached to play at our current level very rapidly (whatever that is going forward) Tayo and Lewis are the ones we have picked up I think with this plan and I assume that the club trust that they might develop well enough to sell on.
To be honest i think most clubs would be doing well to get a new first team Squad player every year from there academy. I think crewe and Man u over the years have had the best record

On a financial level the youth team/academy should as a minimum pay for itself in transfer fees recouped.

That's essential in most professional clubs, it even is at somewhere like Real Madrid.

They know they're not going to get many players who are going to be of the standard they need to achieve being at the top of the league and in Europe every season, but they're able to churn out enough players of sufficient quality to show a profit from it.

To be honest i think most clubs would be doing well to get a new first team Squad player every year from there academy. I think crewe and Man u over the years have had the best record

The lower down the pyramid the easier it gets. At league 1 I would have thought we'd be capable of churning out at least 1 defender and 1 midfielder who can occupy the bench and play in the cup games...