Tom Pearce | Vital Football

Tom Pearce

https://the72.co.uk/249489/tom-pearce-wants-new-wigan-athletic-contract-rejecting-barnsley-move/

That's the actual article.

Bodes well for us that players are turning down the chance to go to Championship clubs. It is indicative of a happy, confident camp. I'd wager that Barnsley, being in the Championship, would have at worst matched his wages, and likely offered more money.

That he chose to stay, then, means that he sees Latics as a club on the up: somewhere he can realise his potential and achieve real success, whilst Barnsley are quite steady and safe in the Championship, but unlikely to trouble the top of it. On paper, it was a step up, but being part of our resurgence clearly has a feelgood factor to it that means that our lads genuinely want to be a part.

With accepting the bid and getting Bennett in it appears we were more than happy to let Pearce go for 450k.

Maybe the club is disappointed he didn't go, as it's clear the player wasn't pushing for the move but we accepted it anyway.

I'm happy to keep him but 1 year left on his deal and a lot of money spent in the summer with arguably a superior replacement brought in. Maybe the club wanted the cash rather than him sitting on the bench.

With accepting the bid and getting Bennett in it appears we were more than happy to let Pearce go for 450k.

Maybe the club is disappointed he didn't go, as it's clear the player wasn't pushing for the move but we accepted it anyway.

I'm happy to keep him but 1 year left on his deal and a lot of money spent in the summer with arguably a superior replacement brought in. Maybe the club wanted the cash rather than him sitting on the bench.
If he puts more performances like against Pompey he won't even be making the bench !

Most likely thinks they’re a bunch of ***** and doesn’t to play for them. And who can blame him.

I wondered the same MiW. Let's not forget, Tom has been at latics throughout the horrors of the last 15 months and he'll have felt it as deeply as anyone.
I think the criticism of Pearce's current form is a tad harsh, first half of last season, up to his injury, he was the stand out player in an admittedly weak team, but at times he looked the only player of any real quality. He's had a disrupted pre season again this season so let's give him a bit of time to regain his match sharpness and form before we write him off. I hope he signs an extension, there's some decent money to be made from this lad in the future and I don't want him walking away for nowt.

Pearce IMO is still not fully match fit. But when he is, we'll have 2 decent left backs, 3 if you count Robinson, but to me the young lad ain't ready yet. I do expect our new LB to start come the next game.