Tom Eaves signs | Vital Football

Tom Eaves signs

Eaves has earned his chances and done well for himself. Harris has way more knowledge than I will ever have but I thought Sithole was worth persisting with, better than Kelman and more potential.

Sithole is low risk for them, but at least it means they think he has an ounce of promise and good references from Dempsey. Good luck to him.

I can imagine we’ll sign someone and it’ll go completely under the radar on here, boy-called-wolf style. Not falling for it again, Chris Who!

Eaves has earned his chances and done well for himself. Harris has way more knowledge than I will ever have but I thought Sithole was worth persisting with, better than Kelman and more potential.

I was thinking myself that especially if we are trying to build an “academy” or reserve/B team set up, then Gerald Sithole would have been worth keeping.

I just hope now that we don’t bring in a young striker from some other clubs B team. Gerald was better than the 2 we tried last season.

Still, I think NH’s little finger probably has more football knowledge than me, so I better trust him 👍

Oh, and good luck to Tom Eaves. Can’t believe Rovrum fans seem annoyed at that signing.

I was thinking myself that especially if we are trying to build an “academy” or reserve/B team set up, then Gerald Sithole would have been worth keeping.

I just hope now that we don’t bring in a young striker from some other clubs B team. Gerald was better than the 2 we tried last season.

Still, I think NH’s little finger probably has more football knowledge than me, so I better trust him 👍

Oh, and good luck to Tom Eaves. Can’t believe Rovrum fans seem annoyed at that signing.
It could be that Harris had already identified some good young strikers outside or even inside the club. Difficult to keep Sithole at Gillingham if you felt unable to give him opportunities. It is about have the right numbers of youngsters at the right stage when you have no reserve team.That might be part of the reason why Gerald was released.
All this talk of development leads me to think there is matters we have not be told about yet in the pipeline. In Harris we must trust.
Good luck to Sithole for his sake I hope he makes it.
No telling if he definitely would have done at Gillingham even if he does elsewhere.
What Harris said about Akehurst makes me think that had Sithole have stayed he might have needed to do a massive amount of work in the gym .I think over the years our players we have developed have been far too lightweight for lower league football. Which might be why the vast majority end up in the Championship, Premier league or non league.
Look back at players like Cumbers,Pugh,Ashley Miller,Davies and many many more too lightweight. I think that is one aspect that Harris intends to change perhaps it needs to be started earlier during their youth team days not a year or too after.

Last edited:
It could be that Harris had already identified some good young strikers outside or even inside the club. Difficult to keep Sithole at Gillingham if you felt unable to give him opportunities. It is about have the right numbers of youngsters at the right stage when you have no reserve team.That might be part of the reason why Gerald was released.
All this talk of development leads me to think there is matters we have not be told about yet in the pipeline. In Harris we must trust.
Good luck to Sithole for his sake I hope he makes it.
No telling if he definitely would have done at Gillingham even if he does elsewhere.
What Harris said about Akehurst makes me think that had Sithole have stayed he might have needed to do a massive amount of work in the gym .I think over the years our players we have developed have been far too lightweight for lower league football. Which might be why the vast majority end up in the Championship, Premier league or non league.
Look back at players like Cumbers,Pugh,Ashley Miller,Davies and many many more too lightweight. I think that is one aspect that Harris intends to change perhaps it needs to be started earlier during their youth team days not a year or too after.
Interesting then that one of the most “developed” of the youth players, Harvey Lintott, was also released!

Interesting then that one of the most “developed” of the youth players, Harvey Lintott, was also released!

Speaking of whom, some NTFC fans reckon they’ve seen Harvey training with them. Maybe gonna sign for Northampton. Good luck to him if he does.

Agreed which might be why he got appearances.What we need perhaps is both ability and physically. Had we kept Lintott and Sithole would you pick then in the 18 matchday squad if you had a full availability?
If the answer was no?
I would guess that's why they both were released .Akehurst is younger he has to improve and develop this season. With no reserves we can't keep hopefuls who are professionals. To get our youth up to standard we need they need to be ready or almost ready at 18 a tough ask.
With Shorey scouting we should be able to find better players who are physically ready and younger. If that is what Harris believes then keeping players who are 19 or 20 who are not considered good enough to use regularly is unlikely at best.

Last edited:
The trouble with Sithole is that he seemed to be suffering from long covid. He said to a mate of mine that he was struggling to shake it off, even after a few months 9f catchingthe virus. Hopefully he's OK now, but maybe that's why the club didn't keep him on..?

They have specified that he is joining their “B” team to begin with, so don’t think he’s ready for their first team yet, but the pathway is there if he’s up to it.

That's a pretty low and uncompetitive level of football. I would have thought the lad might have done better going to a League Two or Conference team to get some competitive football under his belt. Good luck to him though.

And Gerald Sithole has signed for Bolton!
i was surprised that Harris released him tbh.

Agree. He's young, has showed promise and I can't imagine he was on a huge amount, plus we have no other strikers! Personally, I think there is more to lose than gain by releasing promising youth players; however, in Harris we trust!

Personally, I'm annoyed for Tom that he's gone to a team that are relegation certs next season and he'll be back in League One before long. He was immense for us and, from what I know, he did well for Hull, so would have expected someone better than Rotherham to take a punt on him (no pun intended).

The trouble with Sithole is that he seemed to be suffering from long covid. He said to a mate of mine that he was struggling to shake it off, even after a few months 9f catchingthe virus. Hopefully he's OK now, but maybe that's why the club didn't keep him on..?
I think this probably explains everything Harris "Academy players will certainly get an opportunity, as I’m desperate to see four or five of them play that we really like the look of".If he believes in them releasing older players who are not yet in the first team make sense with a small budget. We can offer professional contracts at 17+ .Possibly would not be able to if we resigned Sithole and Lintott. There would also be less opportunity. Possibly delaying development.Or losing them altogether before they get their chance.