Toffolo Betting Breaches | Vital Football

Toffolo Betting Breaches

ccolt79

Vital Youth Team
I think this is probably worthy of a new thread, Harry Toffolo has been charged with 375 breaches of betting rules from January 22, 2014 and March 18, 2017.

That's considerably more than Toney, so i don't think we'll be seeing Toff again for a while

Guess it depends on the severity and if there's any mitigation that we're going back to when he was 18/19?

Players know the rules surely? i don't get how its so hard to go through life without betting on a football match?? i manage to do it OK!!

I don’t think you need much cognitive functioning to be a footballer or perhaps they have too much arrogance

I think ban will depend on the bets. Toney was betting on games he was involved in. If Toffolo was betting on games he did not have any involvement in, the ban may be more lenient.

No matter what - what a fool! If this was found last year, all that work to get to the premier league would have been wasted.

That’s an awful lot of breaches there. 🤞 it wasn’t matches he was involved in. Looking at the dates, it was while he was at Norwich and whatever teams he was on loan at.

Lovely guy, young family, always thought of him as a great ambassador to his clubs. Easily led when 18-19? No excuse though.

Perhaps we could have him on loan when he is allowed to rebuild his career.

I don't know when, but didn't the EFL rules around betting change quite significantly at one point i.e. not just betting on football but cover all sports full stop, only a few years ago? Without knowing what sport he bet on, whether he bet on teams he was playing for etc etc you can't judge too much, especially at that age - was he even a senior pro for most of that period?

That aside, it's hard to take the EFL seriously around betting charges with the amount of betting sponsors, adverts etc. You can't call players out (unless they are/were betting on the team they play/played for at the time, in the team or not) when they're happy to take the money from betting companies themselves (even more so when it came to light that the EFL and some EFL Club's were taking a % of punter losses as an additional commission type payment?). Admittedly they're waaaayyy too embedded into the EFL now to a) make a quick change and b) not to dent the finances.

I don't know when, but didn't the EFL rules around betting change quite significantly at one point i.e. not just betting on football but cover all sports full stop, only a few years ago? Without knowing what sport he bet on, whether he bet on teams he was playing for etc etc you can't judge too much, especially at that age - was he even a senior pro for most of that period?

That aside, it's hard to take the EFL seriously around betting charges with the amount of betting sponsors, adverts etc. You can't call players out (unless they are/were betting on the team they play/played for at the time, in the team or not) when they're happy to take the money from betting companies themselves (even more so when it came to light that the EFL and some EFL Club's were taking a % of punter losses as an additional commission type payment?). Admittedly they're waaaayyy too embedded into the EFL now to a) make a quick change and b) not to dent the finances.

Yeah totally agree still on the 2nd one.

To add to the first one, my understanding is that the EFL have done a lot more with players, educating them on the rules, having support networks in place etc in the last few years but there wasn't much of that at all 9 or 10 years ago.

Sad to see regarding a very likeable player. Perhaps his age at the time and if he can demonstrate that he ceased a long time ago will help with his mitigation; should the allegations do have any basis in the first instance.

As I have already said Toffolo was an excellent player for the Imps. But he knew the rules so has no excuse for breaking them and if found guilty will rightly pay the consequences.
However there is massive hypocrisy involved by the football authorities. They
recognise the problems with addictive gambling even run courses for players
regarding these problems. But then allow the betting companies to massively sponsor their clubs and competitions. You cannot watch a televised or live match without seeing some form of advertising either on players shirts or around the ground promoting a variety of betting companies. It just stinks of hypocrisy to me.

I think the hypocrisy lies in that they'll nail a player for potentially fraudulently making a few bob but allow clubs who year upon year commit financial misdemeanors of varying types and levels to carry on with a "naughty naughty don't do it again (unless my backs turned)" stance.

It really got to me tonight how broken the football world is when watching a very good interview by Gary Neville with Deli Alli about subjects as to how he was sexually abused as a child and his blood mum was an alcoholic, and that he had just completed Rehab, yet this was all sponsored by a betting company.

It really got to me tonight how broken the football world is when watching a very good interview by Gary Neville with Deli Alli about subjects as to how he was sexually abused as a child and his blood mum was an alcoholic, and that he had just completed Rehab, yet this was all sponsored by a betting company.

The uk feels more and more like Hogarth’s Gin Lane by the day