Today's Performance | Page 3 | Vital Football

Today's Performance

I thought he was lucky to get away with a yellow. His foot was very high with studs up as well. It was at least reckless and I think he was lucky to stay on.

I wonder why Lovell took him off at half time ? Injury or to prevent a red ?

I haven’t seen a replay, but from where I was sitting the ball was about two foot in the air - not sure how he’s supposed to go into the tackle without raising his foot? It looked to me as if both players went in for it at the same height - 50/50. The only difference was that hanlon didn’t fall down like he’d been shot and rolled around the floor feigning injury - surprise, surprise, from seemingly being critically injured, a full recovery was made about 30 seconds after the yellow card was shown! For me, it was one of many examples of Wimbledon players falling over and diving and the ref being royally conned.

When was the Garmston incident? I don’t recall or saw it differently.
Not that far from the 90 minute mark.
i was in the Rainham end so I did not have the best view of them .But being honest I would have wanted a red had it been our player on the receiving end.Would not be that shocked if the referee was conned on many occasions he seemed terrible.

Every team does what AFC Wimbledon did, especially when 1-0 up away from home.

I accept time wasting, a bit of gamesmanship and the odd dive, but if we had a 6ft 4 probably 14+ stone forward like Pigot who dived, and I counted them, at lest 6 occasions, I wouldn’t be happy - it’s an embarrassment as a lot of us were embarrassed at the antics of Tom Williams when he played for us. Fortunately, we haven’t had that many over the years.

The goal came from a missed header from Lacey who up till that point had a good game and Holy stood like a statue and came out with his feet instead of his hands but all too late.

Just watched the goal again on the highlights. I don't think Holy does come out with his feet, it's more that he seemed to expect Piggott would try to go inside rather than outside. Having committed himself to going the wrong way, all he could then do was try to stick out a foot in an attempt to stop Piggott.

Not that far from the 90 minute mark.
i was in the Rainham end so I did not have the best view of them .But being honest I would have wanted a red had it been our player on the receiving end.Would not be that shocked if the referee was conned on many occasions he seemed terrible.

I remember it - near the corner flag. Not one that was in my radar as anything like a red card. A rash frustrated lunge, made little or no contact - another dive and feigning of injury by the Dons player. No doubt it was a foul - maybe a yellow but ever a red card.

I note neither of the incidents feature in any of the highlights - even the extended highlight on iFollow, which would suggest neither were anything more than the yellow cards dished out (and harsh ones in my opinion having only seen them once, albeit from a good vantage point).

Nibbles, sorry saying that Steve Lovell doesn’t believe in the defensive midfielder role is just wrong. In fact I talked to him about it at the open day. He thought it was a football oddity that players who generally could play in midfield seemed to find it difficult to play the holding role. There seem to be players who do it well. Morris did it for us until he got injured and so did Bingham. We desperately needed someone there yesterday but neither Reilly or Byrne would consistently come short to the defender on the ball leaving them without an easy pass and forcing them to go long. A lot of blame for yesterday must go to them but also there seemed to a general lack of fight in the team which was worrying,

All credit to AFCW. They suffered numerous head injuries in the second half but managed to show true bravery and recover. Warriors.

Nibbles, sorry saying that Steve Lovell doesn’t believe in the defensive midfielder role is just wrong.

Lovell’s own words back in June:

“I don't believe there is an attacking midfield player and a defensive midfield player. If you play midfield then the rotation should occur with the three players that you have and we have a lot of options this year in that position. In pre-season we will be able to see what the best formation and combination will be."

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/licence-to-thrill-185334/

Lovell’s own words back in June:

“I don't believe there is an attacking midfield player and a defensive midfield player. If you play midfield then the rotation should occur with the three players that you have and we have a lot of options this year in that position. In pre-season we will be able to see what the best formation and combination will be."

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/licence-to-thrill-185334/
Perhaps Byrne and Reilly did not understand their roles.However there can be very little excuses for almost all of the players in front of the back four yesterday.

Rees, Reilly, Byrne and Wilkinson all 1 out of ten - between them they created nowt. You can't give the strikers marks because they got no service at all even from set pieces.

You can't give the strikers marks, said Wayne, ignoring the fact in his prior sentence he gave his favourite scapegoat a score of one.

Wilkinson wasn't playing as a striker ffs!
Most of us hardly realised he was playing at all. Total waste of space and our new version of Dennis Oli, which is perhaps being a little unkind to Oli as he did at least look interested when he played.

All credit to AFCW. They suffered numerous head injuries in the second half but managed to show true bravery and recover. Warriors.

I think their dreadlocked physio could give Mo Farah a run for his money - he must have run more yards than most ignorant those on the pitch yesterday!

Most of us hardly realised he was playing at all. Total waste of space and our new version of Dennis Oli, which is perhaps being a little unkind to Oli as he did at least look interested when he played.
For all Oli’s faults, at least he was quick and got us up the pitch- even if it resulted in him falling over after losing control of the ball- he did win us some free kicks after his forays forward.
Wilkinson while sometimes neat and tidy with layoffs and winning the occasional flick on doesn’t really seem to have any impact on the matches at all. This makes his goal at Portsmouth last season all the more extraordinary!

Totally a certain assent that is true .However he is not the type to go looking for the ball.He tends to look for space.There were almost certainly occasions where we should have given him the ball.Unfortunately our midfield was nonexistent. That makes a players like Wilkinson, Cody ,Nash and many others redundant. So I can see more reason to defend them than others out their yesterday.

From these comments, it makes me wonder what Lovell sees and believes his training days are for.

Everything we did on Saturday just looked desperate. Hanlan's lunge early on which should 100% have resulted in a red card for serious foul play. Reilly's hands in the back on Wagstaff which should have been a penalty (referee was poor to our benefit I felt). Reilly once again for his booking, making a desperate lunge on the edge of our box. Byrne attempting a bicycle kick to score at 1-0 down with 10 minutes to play. Garmston flying into a tackle late on which for me could also have been deemed a red card offence for excessive force. Aimless hoofs forward with a midfield showing no interest on getting on the ball to make anything happen.

Lovell's persistence with playing players out of position as wingers, and changing formations at half-time on a weekly basis hoping something will stick also seems desperate, as did his ranting comments in the press after the game.

I don't know what's happened or what's triggered it, but we look a completely different team to the first two games of the season. Regardless of our budget, this group of players are vastly better than they have shown in the last two home games, it's down to Lovell to sort it and get us back on track before pressure will eventually inevitably build.

as much as we played poorly saturday that really was bare bones, you only had to look at the bench options to see that. plus other than List we had no legs in that side - something SL was desperate for in the summer. injuries are impacting us.

But....

1. Can the real Callum Reilly turn up? Looks a pale shadow of last year so far....I'd rather see Hess back at this current rate.
2. Bingham when played hasn't been the base of the diamond, hes been played left-side. This is for me is a SL error.
3. SL needs to tell Eaves to stop sulking and get in front of his marker. When he did on sat he got fouls given for us. but he did it about twice, that's why Deji had such a good game, Eaves made it easy for him
4. Why give Nasseri and DJ a contract if not going to use them last 10 of yesterday. SL said no1 got any credit, so why didn't we just take a chance last 10? Don't get it.