Today's Performance | Vital Football

Today's Performance

Therealwaldo

Vital Squad Member
Sod it. I'm going to use Wayne's Scunthorpe away system of marking. They all get 10 out of 10. Although this was an excellent performance, part of me wonders if it was because Plymouth came to play football because they needed the result whilst so many other teams come to shut up shop.

Holy - solid keeping performance. Couldn't do a lot about either of their goals.

O'Neill - excellent defensively and some superb forward runs. Great delivery from set plays.

Ehmer - awesome display clearing everything.

Zakuani - equally impressive rock at the heart of the defence.

Garmston - much like his old self. Sound defensively and marauding rubs down the wing.

Reilly - driving force in midfield involved in much of our best attacking play.

Byrne - just everywhere, chasing, picking up the pieces, breaking up their play.

Wagstaff - played like he's desperate for a new deal. Chasing around in midfield like his life depended on it.

Martin - good on the ball, linking up well with the forwards.

Eaves - unplayable at times. Great finishing.

Parker - a real handful all afternoon. Great finish for his goal.

Subs

Hessenthaler - slotted in seamlessly to an already functioning midfield.

Wilkinson - some great flick ons and looked almost as dangerous as Eaves.

List - the confidence of his goal last week gave him the confidence to come up with an excellent finish for his goal.

This was the best way to give us all confidence that this side can play and, given a few additions, be a reasonable side next season. Good bye all. UTG

Thanks for your efforts this season Waldo, I've missed loads of games this year for various reasons, so look forward to your reports.

A very good performance in a very good atmosphere. A great way to end the season. SL now needs to scratch his head and work out how to get something similar at home consistently next season.

Zak was my man of the match.

I think we're missing a couple of game changers in order to make a difference. One in midfield - Reilly, Byrne, Hess, Martin and Wagstaff are all OK but OK is not quite enough - and one up front. If List has at last cracked it, he may well be the answer alongside Parker and Eaves but he needs to build on that in pre-season. Other than that, defensive cover would be good.

Thanks Waldo I am not sure I totally agree on Wilkinson he was the only player who really didn't perform .Well that was my view .A excellent team performance against a good footballing side .Plymouth did not have the Rocks At The back that we did Ehmer and Zakuani were magnificent .A great game to watch credit to both sides .

For christ's sake Wilkinson was only on for 16 minutes and in that time I noted that he won three flick headers that all reached Gills players, he was once only stopped in their area with a last ditch tackle and twice he forced their keeper into a poor kick out by closing him down. I swear that some people just don't want to see the good things he does out of sheer prejudice.

Thanks Waldo I am not sure I totally agree on Wilkinson he was the only player who really didn't perform .Well that was my view

The only thing that surpises me about this comment was that Wayne didn't say it first. He did more than what List did except List got a goal to his name. He won several headers, chased down their defenders a few times and gave away several free kicks for being slightly over agressive. He also got booked upon trying to prevent them taking a quick throw on.

Thanks for all the reports Waldo :loser:

Btw - Garmston sounds like he enjoyed himself very much down the wing....

There are those who have the axe out for Wilkinson personally I report what I saw .He may have got flick on's what he didn't do is get into the right areas when there were chances to score that Wilkinson was nowhere near . I saw a lad that is never anywhere near where he should be when the some good crosses came in .I saw his great goal at Pompey but that apart unfortunately he rarely even gets into any possible scoring positions .Only 16 minutes today mate but one goal in how many over the season .It is not good enough from midfielder let alone a striker .

Madrid, he's also got 2 assists that I can recall. Flick on to Max Ehmer for our equaliser at home to Peterbrough and his header on to List for our equaliser at Bristol Rovers.

I guess some like Waldo look for the positives in Wilkinson’s performance and others only the negatives.
His booking was right in front of me and totally needless, chasing after the ball with one of their players after the whistle had already gone, but shows that edge he has to his game.
Yes he won a few flick ons, but didn’t do much else of note, though he wasn’t on the pitch for that long.
I thought the others all did well, maybe apart from Martin, who was the first player subbed off, although he had a hand in some goals.

Cheers Waldo , I welcome the summer break from your postings.
Let's hope next season , you become somewhat more charasmatic.

Constructive criticisism never hurt anyone :)

His booking was right in front of me and totally needless, chasing after the ball with one of their players after the whistle had already gone, but shows that edge he has to his game.
Yes he won a few flick ons, but didn’t do much else of note, though he wasn’t on the pitch for that long.

Must be a case of mistaken identity. I heard he was a lazy sod who wont chase anything.:slap:

Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Still, always one player that the haters gotta hate.

For christ's sake Wilkinson was only on for 16 minutes and in that time I noted that he won three flick headers that all reached Gills players, he was once only stopped in their area with a last ditch tackle and twice he forced their keeper into a poor kick out by closing him down. I swear that some people just don't want to see the good things he does out of sheer prejudice.

He is talented but at the same time lazy, uninterested and petulant. At one point he failed to close a defender down on his side of the pitch and List came running past him to do it for him. Clearly has ability but will never make it with his piss poor attitude.

I think List has given Lovell a question now. He might have done enough in the last two games to get another year.

Zakuani was immense yesterday and that's a tough one for Lovell. Getting him on another contract will clearly eat up a chunk of the budget but you have to build a team from the back.

Thought our starting line up yesterday was probably what I'd consider our best side if everyone is playing well. As Waldo says I'm not sure if Plymouths need for goals and approach to the game helped us but here's my opinion for what its worth.

Holy- didn't have many saves to make and had no real chance with either goal. His distribution was shocking and IMO this something that has to improve if he has ambitions to play at a higher level.

O'neil - is the best right back on the ball we've had in ages. Was solid defensively and going forward has the ability to put in decent delivery and links up well with Wagstaff.

Ehmer- solid yesterday and links up well with Zack.

Zak- my MOM yesterday, headed,kicked and tackled everything yesterday. IMO he's the first one I'd try and get signed up if I was SL.

Garmston- had a solid enough game but delivery on a couple of occasions was poor. Guess question for SL is if he thinks he can find a more reliable LB for the same money.

Wagstaff- Was full of running yesterday and has quality on the ball and showed it yesterday and links up well, but similarly to Garmston can SL get the game time out of him.

Byrne- was everywhere yesterday and was not far behind Zak for MOM.

Reilly- Endless energy yesterday and driving runs, but gives us much better balance when he says on the left side of a 3 in midfield and could have capped off his display yesterday with a couple of goals. IF I was SL I'd be trying to get him signed asap.

Martin- I may be alone here but really don't get what he brings to the team. For someone playing at the tip of a diamond midfield he doesn't create a lot or get many assists and he runs around a lot, without seemingly doing anything of note, but SL clearly likes him, either as a captain or player, ( or both). IMO I don't think he's done enough on the field to warrant a new deal, especially as he's probably one of the higher earners.

Parker- Again full of running and took his goal well and if we can get yesterday's performance out of him week in week out as when he's on form like yesterday,he's a real handful.

Eaves- Thought he was quiet for the first 20 minutes but the baiting from the Plymouth fans seem to wake him up. Took all three goals well ( the third was a fairly simple finish) but has pleasantly surprised me this season.

Wilkinson- God he can be so frustrating but I genuinely think there is a half decent player in there somewhere. Won some flick ons and worked hard, but sometimes he seems to want to be aggressive in challenges and gives away needless free kicks as a result, and then when you want him to be strong and aggressive and hold the ball up he isn't. Hopefully a good preseason and the penny has dropped that the minimum he has to do is work and an early goal next season will change his fortunes.

Hess- Thought it was a typical Hess performance, full on running and work, kept it simple ( his limit) and didn't over complicate things.

List - Looks to me like alto of the time he's waiting to be invited to join in in the game rather than getting himself involved and imposing himself on the game and that applied yesterday, although took his goal really well. Shame for him the season has ended just as he's found his goal scoring boots. Question is has he done enough to get a new deal, IMO no but I think SL likes him.