Today's Performance | Vital Football

Today's Performance

Therealwaldo

Vital Squad Member
The second half was marginally better than the first. That's about the only positive on the playing front. Otherwise, the only crumb of comfort is that Wayne has assured everyone that we can't possibly be relegated, so that's alright then. The problems going forward at home are no different now than they have been all season. The new problem is that we've suddenly become more defensively frail.

I'll have a go at some marks if anyone's interested.

Hadler 6 I'll give him an extra mark as it was his first game but the first goal was down to him. All he could was parry a free kick with his chest straight back into the danger area. Distribution was good throughout.

O'Neill 5 he's list a lot of firm since he was injured. His set pieces have become a bit if a liability.

Ehmer 6 sponsor's man of the match. Surprising given how vulnerable we seemed at the centre of the defence.

Nugent 6 actually thought he looked half decent today. Quite rightly went ape at List when he failed to mark the scorer of the third goal.

Ogilvie 5 improvement on Tuesday but that's not saying much. Got blamed by those around me for losing his man for their second goal. I didn't get a clear enough view to comment.

Hessenthaler 5 can't fault his effort but something in his make up seems to prefer a backward pass rather than a forward one.

Martin 6 thought he looked as likely as anyone to make something happen in the first half. Not entirely sure why he was subbed unless he picked up an injury.

Reilly 5 thought he had a mare in the first half. Seemed to have been given a rocket at half time and was really putting himself about. When he was surprisingly replaced by List I thought we lost all momentum.

Byrne 6 I don't think he let anyone down with his performance but as usual this season whatever combination we use the midfield just doesn't seem to operate as a unit.

Parker 5 not the player he has been this season. His loss of form is one of the reasons for our current problems.

Eaves 5 for all people's moans about Wilkinson, bringing back Eaves seemed to add nothing. He was outmuscled all afternoon.

Subs

Wagstaff 5 despite a few good bits from him, there was absolutely no end product.

List 4 for the first 10 minutes he was on you wouldn't have known it. One decent run and that was it,

Nash 5 tried hard to little effect. Desperate to have a shot however unlikely he is to score. Should try calming down a bit.

If it wasn't for Wayne, I'd be really worried. UTG

Last edited:
Martin - 6?? All he did was fall over the ball. Pity his suspension was not longer, he contributed bugger all.

Yes he does try - they all do in their limited ways but he was the worst of the lot IMO, others may not agree, fair enough.

Why drop Holy?

He has been our best player all season as as much as Hadler should get a chance not when things are tough - I am sure thsi performance has done his confidence the world of good

Martin flatters to deceive. It all looks very good, but it's all show and no end product. Today I counted at least half a dozen beautiful neat flicks that went nowhere because you'd need to be telepathic to read them. The rest of the time he was nowhere to be seen.

I wasn't surprised SL hooked him, but then he brought on Wagstaff, who's the same but in a slightly different way. Busy, but utterly ineffective and falls down a lot. Bears out my theory about white boots.

I think it was a mistake to drop Holy, too, but I can understand the reasoning. He'd begun to look a bit careless in recent games, wandering out of his area and nearly getting caught out. I suppose the idea was to show that no-one's place is guaranteed. Having said that. apart from spilling a hard free kick, I don't hink Hadler let himself down.

The second half was marginally better than the first. That's about the only positive on the playing front. Otherwise, the only crumb of comfort is that Wayne has assured everyone that we can't possibly be relegated, so that's alright then. The problems going forward at home are no different now than they have been all season. The new problem is that we've suddenly become more defensively frail.

I'll have a go at some marks if anyone's interested.

Hadler 6 I'll give him an extra mark as it was his first game but the first goal was down to him. All he could was parry a free kick with his chest straight back into the danger area. Distribution was good throughout.

O'Neill 5 he's list a lot of firm since he was injured. His set pieces have become a bit if a liability.

Ehmer 6 sponsor's man of the match. Surprising given how vulnerable we seemed at the centre of the defence.

Nugent 6 actually thought he looked half decent today. Quite rightly went ape at List when he failed to mark the scorer of the third goal.

Ogilvie 5 improvement on Tuesday but that's not saying much. Got blamed by those around me for losing his man for their second goal. I didn't get a clear enough view to comment.

Hessenthaler 5 can't fault his effort but something in his make up seems to prefer a backward pass rather than a forward one.

Martin 6 thought he looked as likely as anyone to make something happen in the first half. Not entirely sure why he was subbed unless he picked up an injury.

Reilly 5 thought he had a mare in the first half. Seemed to have been given a rocket at half time and was really putting himself about. When he was surprisingly replaced by List I thought we lost all momentum.

Byrne 6 I don't think he let anyone down with his performance but as usual this season whatever combination we use the midfield just doesn't seem to operate as a unit.

Parker 5 not the player he has been this season. His loss of form is one of the reasons for our current problems.

Eaves 5 for all people's moans about Wilkinson, bringing back Eaves seemed to add nothing. He was outmuscled all afternoon.

Subs

Wagstaff 5 despite a few good bits from him, there was absolutely no end product.

List 4 for the first 10 minutes he was on you wouldn't have known it. One decent run and that was it,

Nash 5 tried hard to little effect. Desperate to have a shot however unlikely he is to score. Should try calming down a bit.

If it wasn't for Wayne, I'd be really worried. UTG
Nugent rightly went ape at List. Why because he didnt stop him tapping in????

I think it was a mistake to drop Holy, too, but I can understand the reasoning. He'd begun to look a bit careless in recent games, wandering out of his area and nearly getting caught out. I suppose the idea was to show that no-one's place is guaranteed. Having said that. apart from spilling a hard free kick, I don't hink Hadler let himself down.

Is Hadler out of contract? My instinct was that he is seeing if Hadler is up to standard in a proper match before giving him a new contract. I would not be surprised if Hadler starts next match.

Is Hadler out of contract? My instinct was that he is seeing if Hadler is up to standard in a proper match before giving him a new contract. I would not be surprised if Hadler starts next match.

I think Rob is spot on. Lovell has to decide if Hadler is ready for league one squad next season as back up or even number one if we get an offer in the summer for Holy.

Absolutely right to play him. Yes he was partly to blame for the first goals but other than that I thought he aquitted himself OK. There were many more "senior pros" who let the team down tonight.

If you look at their second goal their strikers attacked the ball as the cross was driven in. We don't do that.

Needed to parry the first away to safety not straight to their striker. Also for the 2nd maybe he could have got down to try and stop the cross as it was knocked in right in front of him.
Very difficult circumstances to be thrown into the team though.

In a way the performance was summed up by Hadler .Not a single player can pass to a forward player .Hadler in fact was without doubt the best passer of a ball for us .Not sure about marks today the performance was that poor .Something deeper is happening when the worse performances were by some of the most experienced players best .Ehmer ,O'Neil ,Martin ,Parker and Eaves looked worse than anyone .Nobody seemed interested in trying to win the game Nash was the best forward player all afternoon at least he gave it a go .
Personally I would prefer to see more players like Hadler in the side if they are the only players willing for whatever reason to give it a go.

If you look at their second goal their strikers attacked the ball as the cross was driven in. We don't do that.

You have to assume that the team are playing the way SL wants them to - even if you dont have "strikers" any players can attack balls.

These are professional players so you would hope that they all have some level of skill but recently not one player has put in a performance in any position that could be classed as professional

Durham, do us a favour and expose how much some of these players are getting paid for not doing the basics of their job.

"Not a single player can pass to a forward player .Hadler in fact was without doubt the best passer of a ball for us ."

Lol have you ever seen a goalkerper pass backwards?

Maybe the dip in form is simply due to the lack of promotion incentive...there is now nothing to 'be up' for anymore?

Maybe the dip in form is simply due to the lack of promotion incentive...there is now nothing to 'be up' for anymore?
But the dip really started after the win at Pompey when it looked like, if we kept our form up, we had an outside shot of making the play-offs. To me it seems more like once safety was more or less assured, the players thought they could coast to the end of the season.