Time to rebuild. | Page 4 | Vital Football

Time to rebuild.

not sure about the youngsters - Chambers and Sithole both get time under Harris, but Lintott and Akehurst didn’t.
Sithole got 3 mins plus injury time yesterday
Chambers started at Sunderland and lasted 70 odd mins, he also had some pitch time at Donny
Lintott half an hour at Charlton
Akehurst 1 minute at Sunderland

Given our predicament and lack of options hardly a ringing endorsement of Harris' faith in our young players. Could be he was protecting the ones he rated from the damaging experience of playing in that team

Either way I don't think you can read anything into the game time the 4 of them have had under NH

Sithole got 3 mins plus injury time yesterday
Chambers started at Sunderland and lasted 70 odd mins, he also had some pitch time at Donny
Lintott half an hour at Charlton
Akehurst 1 minute at Sunderland

Given our predicament and lack of options hardly a ringing endorsement of Harris' faith in our young players. Could be he was protecting the ones he rated from the damaging experience of playing in that team

Either way I don't think you can read anything into the game time the 4 of them have had under NH

I think Sithole would have played more under Harris had he not been injured.

I'm pretty much in agreement with EE. Not sure about Macdonald, talking with an Oxford supporting mate he'd lost a yard of pace when he left them and I worry he'll have lost more after a long injury. Word is he's one of the 'Priestfield 7', could be that we offer to pay him up.

Chapman, Robbie Mc and O'Keefe would be the ones I definitely keep.

Ehmer, Lloyd, Jackson and Tutonda would depend on the style of play he wants.

Tucker and Thompson both destined for better things. Thought Thommo was exceptional yesterday although I'd have to say I've been disappointed with some of his performances

The rest can go. Thanks for trying hard but ultimately not good enough for league one and haven't shown enough to say they'll set league two alight

I'm pretty much in agreement with EE. Not sure about Macdonald, talking with an Oxford supporting mate he'd lost a yard of pace when he left them and I worry he'll have lost more after a long injury. Word is he's one of the 'Priestfield 7', could be that we offer to pay him up.

Chapman, Robbie Mc and O'Keefe would be the ones I definitely keep.

Ehmer, Lloyd, Jackson and Tutonda would depend on the style of play he wants.

Tucker and Thompson both destined for better things. Thought Thommo was exceptional yesterday although I'd have to say I've been disappointed with some of his performances

The rest can go. Thanks for trying hard but ultimately not good enough for league one and haven't shown enough to say they'll set league two alight

Jackson and Tutunda can do one. Both cost us far more goals than they've saved us and if we want to be successful next season we need defenders who can defend and neither Jackson or Tutunda can, that's why NH says he had to play wing back system.

As for Shorey, he may help with recruitment but he ain't Jesus.

Keep Chapman if he’ll stay. Offers to those whose fee might be bumped by it, and goodbye to the rest where possible. Not a judgement on them as individuals or as individual footballers. I liked most of this team, but they failed as a team. Just think of how they struggled to get from our end to actually producing an attempt on goal at the other. They were terrible. Time to strike another match, go start anew. Cos it’s all over now, Baby Blue.

Think it would be madness not to offer Oliver a new deal, a proven L1 goalscorer, as we drop into L2.
All depends on
A His attitude ?
B What other options are available ?
C What money is likely to be needed for both options?
Given we don't really know A or B it is impossible to make a judgement on C .
But given Harris's statements I find it hard to believe that many contracts will be offered .I think he is looking at a totally fresh start.With very few if any of yesterday's team starting come August.

Does anyone know what constraints we were under in January? Was it possible to add to the team?

I agree with your release list Macc Gill, but I'd be even more ruthless:

Oliver - Release. He's been poor for months. We need pace and mobility.
Ehmer - controversial one, but release or 12 months only. He's getting slower.
Macdonald - I really like his energy, but we don't know enough about his recovery. Has had a dodgy fitness record elsewhere. Probably release.

Maybes:

Tucker - we will deffo offer a contract so we get compensation if/when he leaves.
Thomson - not sure he's been as good as people think. I haven't seen much play-making. Has he been dragged down to our level? Would be decent in League 2, but I doubt he'll want to be there.

That leaves only three to keep and one possible:

Chapman - definitely a keeper (see what I did there?!)
Mackenzie - useful utility player.
O'Keefe - retain as defensive midfelder and captain, then build around him.
Lloyd - allow him to rehabilitate with us. If he looks ok by late July, offer him a deal.
Nothing controversial about releasing Ehmer, he’s been shit since leaving us the first time. Too slow, awful distribution, no leadership qualities. We need to sort out the defence and that means decent CBs and FBs rather than having to play 3 CBs and wasting Jackson, Tutonda and McKenzie as non-effective wingbacks.

A couple of names who might be available that have been signed by Neil Harris in the past are
Alex Pearce (33 )a skipper and Harris's first signing in 2019 and Connor Mahoney (25) a two footed winger can take set plays. Possibly both out of contract at Millwall. Ex Cardiff are less likely because of the geography.
It is also possible that a younger developing player at Millwall might have impressed. I would be shocked if we didn't get at least a couple of players Harris has previously managed.

I’m definitely expecting some from Millwall, makes sense geographically. I hope we add some solid no nonsense centre halves, similar ilk to Barrett, Ashby etc. I think we can expect a committed hard working bunch next season, just hope Harris gets whatever he was promised from Scally.

Last edited:
Income is bound to take a hit though. The likes of Oliver is they are to stay will surely only be able to be offered reduced contracts.

If there are options for the higher paid players to go elsewhere that will surely be considered favourably by the club as they look to reduce the wage bill for next season.

Nothing controversial about releasing Ehmer, he’s been shit since leaving us the first time. Too slow, awful distribution, no leadership qualities. We need to sort out the defence and that means decent CBs and FBs rather than having to play 3 CBs and wasting Jackson, Tutonda and McKenzie as non-effective wingbacks.

Exactly how I feel about max too.

he’s got back to back relegations on his CV - ouch

Jackson and Tutunda can do one. Both cost us far more goals than they've saved us and if we want to be successful next season we need defenders who can defend and neither Jackson or Tutunda can, that's why NH says he had to play wing back system.

As for Shorey, he may help with recruitment but he ain't Jesus.

hes just a very naughty boy

NH has stated we will starting our pre-season June 22nd, but transfer window doesn’t open until JUNE 10th, so think we will get a good idea of the managers organisation skills, I think going down a league will do us good in long run

Last edited:
I don’t know whether Oliver will score goals in L2 or not, but his attitude and motivation have been lacking this season and for that reason, it is a no from me.

NH has stated we will starting our pre-season June 22nd, but transfer window doesn’t open until JUNE 12th , so think we will get a good idea of the managers organisation skills, I think going down a league will do us good in long run
I don’t know about going down doing us good. Normally We say this as it’s a chance to clear the decks of expensive contracted deadwood, but also some contracts will have automatic lowering of terms upon relegation. Nowadays half/the majority of your team leave each season for free, from the shit ones to the good ones running out their (shorter) contracts.