Thoughts on Curle | Vital Football

Thoughts on Curle

harrogatepoolie

Vital Newbie
I don’t know what everybody else thinks but I have been trying to understand Keith Curles mind set in his post match interviews. Sometimes I think he doesn’t have any answers and other times when I read stuff in the mail he knows exactly what is wrong but his players don’t execute his ideas. What I don’t get is the lack of passion and determination to do the basics from professional footballers . Curle never slags his team or individuals off in front of the cameras but I wonder how he comes across in the dressing room. If it was me I would be doing my nut about the lack of passion and desire from my team! That should be a given from a pools player . Pools supporters will forgive to a degree, a certain lack of skill or creativity. In his interviews Curle tends to not always answer the question when asked about the teams performance and sometimes rambles on and off topic. Hope I am making sense in what I am trying to say!

Curle is a bluffer. One promotion with Northampton in all the jobs he has had is a poor return. Northampton are a yo yo club anyhow so it's not as if this was any great achievement. He will talk and talk and talk and talk us to relegation. Oldham fans know his SP only to well.

Curle has accepted a job with a distinctly poor chance of success, keeping Pools in EFL.
He has probably realised from the outset that the players he inherited just aren't good enough, determined enough, or skillful enough to compete. Obviously, there are some exceptions to this description, but none of the squad demonstrate any consistency of performance either.
As for publicly criticising the players, because of the Transfer Window, doing so could have left him with even less effort from those singled out - Pools haven't a particularly large squad, to enable changes!
This month's results and the TW signings/outgoings will determine KCs future at Pools, as I doubt he'll wish to hang around for an inevitable relegation to add to his CV.

Who would take on the role if KC were to leave as the recent manager appointments, Challinor aside, haven't lasted long or been given support in assembling a reasonable squad.

I don't think you can say managers haven't been given support when you consider the number of players brought in. The wage bill must be considerable. The problem is that almost all of the signings have been poor players. Fewer better players would have been more sensible. I don't know who makes the final decisions but Hartley must have been at fault. Now Curle is limited on spending.

Having said the players are generally poor it's the manager's job to get the most out of those he has. Curle seems better than his predecessor but is it enough ? Gillingham was a very bad omen. Hopefully we'll scrape together enough points to avoid the drop but only just and if it comes down to GD we are stuffed.

Whatever happens we need a total reboot in summer.

Agree about the reboot but the problem is that quite a few of Hartley's signings are on two year contracts so they will stick like the proverbial to a blanket.

Agree about the reboot but the problem is that quite a few of Hartley's signings are on two year contracts so they will stick like the proverbial to a blanket.
The awarding of 2 year contracts is a difficult issue. I think we were all dismayed at the loss of Oates, Odisina, etc due to them only being on 1 year deals. However, giving out 2 year contracts, so it would seem, can backfire!

The awarding of 2 year contracts is a difficult issue. I think we were all dismayed at the loss of Oates, Odisina, etc due to them only being on 1 year deals. However, giving out 2 year contracts, so it would seem, can backfire!

Yes, it seems to be one extreme to another. First, one year contracts only then the next, two year contracts given out willy nilly. Hastie is a case in point. I have never read anything from anyone praising him. Everyone reckons he is poor, lacks commitment, shirks challenges etc and as a result he never starts. By all accounts he is on one of the highest wages at the club and has a two year contract. What a mess.

Time for a change, KC doesn't seem able to get a performance out of the players at his disposal.
Plus I'm starting to think that part of the issues related to the lack of player recruitment during the TW are as a consequence of an unwillingness to play for KC.

Decent players at our level know all about Curle and that in a nutshell is why none of them want to come here.

Not a very impressive CV.
Took over a struggling Mansfield and couldn’t save them from relegation.

Chester challenging for promotion, an eleven game losing run cost him his job.

Torquay failed to save from relegation

Carlisle seemed to do okay

Northampton hero to zero, gaining promotion but turning it into relegation, 1 win in 10 games cost him his job.

Oldham left them in 22nd position in L2, we all know how that ended.

It appears he just doesn’t have what it takes to prevent struggling sides from relegation. Don’t know what the options available would be post Curle, but history suggests he isn’t going to save us from relegation. NEXT!
:red:

Can't see any point in changing managers now. Whoever came in would be on a looser and would be a big gamble anyway. All we can do now is hold on and hope. Looks like Josh could be off to Burton and that would just about put the top hat on a dismal season. Big changes in the summer and look forward to a happier time in NL.