This Season | Vital Football

This Season

Th10

Vital Squad Member
How much longer can it carry on for? NHS staff and people who have symptoms now struggling to get a Covid test but footballers (and other sports) can get tested weekly. Even though I’d like football to carry on as normal it feels wrong on every level. A couple of people I know have children who can’t go to school because they can’t get a test having been a bit under the weather for a couple of days.

Personally I dont see a problem at the moment.
Are NHS staff really struggling to get a Covid test?

227K are tested now on a daily basis (of which 1% are positive) so the number of footballers required to be tested on a weekly basis is very small in comparison.

How much longer can it carry on for? NHS staff and people who have symptoms now struggling to get a Covid test but footballers (and other sports) can get tested weekly. Even though I’d like football to carry on as normal it feels wrong on every level. A couple of people I know have children who can’t go to school because they can’t get a test having been a bit under the weather for a couple of days.

We're becoming a nation of hypochondriacs 😷

Personally I dont see a problem at the moment.
Are NHS staff really struggling to get a Covid test?

227K are tested now on a daily basis (of which 1% are positive) so the number of footballers required to be tested on a weekly basis is very small in comparison.

Everyone's gonna get this at some point. Just needs to work it's way through the population. Interestingly it's effects have fizzled out somewhat with very few ending up in hospitals and practically nobody dying. If your vulnerable shield. If not take it from me it's basically man flu without the cough and more on the chest.

If no crowds are allowed till Xmas I'm at a loss to explain how football can carry on.

Everyone's gonna get this at some point. Just needs to work it's way through the population. Interestingly it's effects have fizzled out somewhat with very few ending up in hospitals and practically nobody dying. If your vulnerable shield. If not take it from me it's basically man flu without the cough and more on the chest.

If no crowds are allowed till Xmas I'm at a loss to explain how football can carry on.

Sorry mate, but I've a sister who's a nurse, and to say that's an over generalisation is a massive understatement.

Granted, for some, it's like you say. However, for others, it's far more debilitating. For you to dismiss it so lightly is at best naive and at worst, callous.

I do however agree with your last point.

Easy for you to say though isn't it.
I take if that you are in the younger age bracket with no health issues and can be blase about it.
Trust me it can still be very serious and fatal, a lot of younger people who are pushing up the infection rate at the moment will soon pass it on to older people and that's when the hospital intake and death rate will climb.
And the glib "If your vulnerable shield" remark is all very well but if you are an older person who can't have family contact for months then your mental and physical health suffers.
But, hey ho, it doesn't matter the "I'm all right Jack" brigade will be fine.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
If not take it from me it's basically man flu without the cough and more on the chest.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sure the 42,000 people who have died would have taken comfort from that remark had they none

A couple of really stupid, insensitive statements on here this morning...none more than this

" We're becoming a nation of hypochondriacs 😷 "

Jesus ,what's wrong with people, show some respect for people who have lost friends and relatives.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
If not take it from me it's basically man flu without the cough and more on the chest.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sure the 42,000 people who have died would have taken comfort from that remark had they none

They died with it not cos of it. Anyway. Seems odd how 4000 a day are getting it and all of a sudden nobody's dying of it. Same across Europe. Could it be how deaths have been recorded? Per 100,000 more have been hospitalised with flu. Interesting how Sweden haven't locked down and rates are no different. You wouldn't wish it on anyone and I agree the vulnerable should be careful but we have to be careful here. Without an economy there won't be an NHS. Similarly. Without crowds football clubs won't exist. There can't and won't be another lockdown so get the vulnerable to shield and crack on. It is what it is.

People can always pay for private tests, cost about £150 and quick turn around in results, 24-48 hours.

I think the issue is it’s the same labs processing these and there is no capacity in them, which is why the government are looking to upscale. In regards Nhs they should still have ring fenced testing for employees so unsure why they can’t access these.

In regards crowds, I thought I read last night that the aim was still October 1st, but with vastly reduced capacity than was initially proposed. (think I was overwhelmed with pissing my sides at the Barnsley news so could be wrong) I actually don’t think that date is feasible anymore as infections are increasing and we are now under new restrictions. Can’t see how they would open football stadia given this. I don’t think the issue is the seating it’s the concourse congregation and toilets that lead to the bottle neck.

Bad news for us as income streams are vastly restricted for any new buyer. Most clubs have sold season tickets this season and many didn’t even give refunds for last season. Whereas we offered an option they basically had to take the streaming package. I understand it’s the model for this season too for many, knowing most season ticket holders won’t complain about refunds as it would shaft their club. Obviously we can’t do that.

They died with it not cos of it. Anyway. Seems odd how 4000 a day are getting it and all of a sudden nobody's dying of it. Same across Europe. Could it be how deaths have been recorded? Per 100,000 more have been hospitalised with flu. Interesting how Sweden haven't locked down and rates are no different. You wouldn't wish it on anyone and I agree the vulnerable should be careful but we have to be careful here. Without an economy there won't be an NHS. Similarly. Without crowds football clubs won't exist. There can't and won't be another lockdown so get the vulnerable to shield and crack on. It is what it is.

Society has changed since the start of this. Basically many of us are more careful around social distancing, use trains less, wear masks etc. So effectively these measures are working and according to scientists it is reducing the viral load, so basically how much you ‘catch’ and because it’s less the effects aren’t as bad - in crude terms. Obviously these tools not taking precautions are catching it, but because they are younger it doesn’t affect them as much due to physiology.

Sorry mate, but I've a sister who's a nurse, and to say that's an over generalisation is a massive understatement.

Granted, for some, it's like you say. However, for others, it's far more debilitating. For you to dismiss it so lightly is at best naive and at worst, callous.

I do however agree with your last point.
It's not like you to disagree with someone is it ?

A couple of weeks ago infection rates were a lot lower, so given the 10-14 day incubation period deaths are still lower. But whereas a week ago deaths were 1 or 2 they are now back into double figures and in a couple of weeks time there's every chance they will have gone up even more.

Yes it is what it is, and we do need to get on but it doesn't help when thoroughly selfish young people flout the guidelines at every opportunity because they think their immune to it. The reason it's not like before just yet is that older people are following guidelines but just wait a couple of months and see where we are.

It's not like you to disagree with someone is it ?

Don't we all disagree with lots of people every single day? It'd be funny if we didn't.

Presumably, you agree with Donnie .................... in which case, you disagree with me ................ so how does that work then?

Regarding 1,000 fans being allowed to attend matches next month:
Surely it would make more sense to do it as a percentage of the stadium capacity rather than a set number.It wouldn't make any sense to me for small grounds such as Accrington and Fleetwood to have the same amount of people allowed to attend their home matches as ourselves,Sunderland and Hull who's grounds are much bigger in comparison.

This is a really polarised debate.
Its not football related, nor is masks or testing.
It will just end up with people arguing. Shouldn't it be moved to off topic.

Given it's about the return of fans into stadia, (loosely maybe at the start, but moreso now with the proposed 1,000 limit) I don't see why it should be deemed off-topic Danny. ........................... which isn't for designed for "arguments" either. ;)