This rumour cant be true can it

bickymon

Vital Squad Member
Rumour
Maloney to only get 200k transfer budget
Wages no higher than 4k
10 maybe more academy lads in squad next season
Has to be bullshit or is it has anyone heard this rumour

I have seen this on Twitter on Wednesday or Thursday.
Did not give it much credence.
Although £4,000 a day sounds a fair wage 😀

Just a second thought on this £4k a week is roughly £200k pa, are the 2 sums referring to the same thing and not the transfer budget.

Last edited:
We are still having to pay off previous owners spending. But still, I can't see that being the transfer budget. Where did you hear the rumour?

The person that quoted these numbers is the same person called out by Stephen Humphrys for telling lies about him on twitter earlier in the week. He's well known for it.
If he makes up stories about the players, then making up other stories may also come easy to him.
I am sure we will hear some news shortly about the meetings between Maloney and the owners.

I think 200k plus percentages of sells is probably not far off what our budget will look like.

I would go as far as to say that would probably still be in top half of league one in terms of money available.

The concerning line from the OP is the academy aspect. I'm all for bringing them through but it has to be a measured approach or we will be in big trouble.

4k in L1 is a good wage.

200k net spend in transfer budget is better than most in L1.

But Maloney and Rioch both said they haven't had the discussion about money yet so if Danson hasn't told them he won't be telling anyone else who's going to be putting it out on Twitter.

But if you do the sums, we are going to have a squad of about 25 players, if we paid each of them 4k a week that is virtually a 5m annual wage bill before any apperance, goal bonuses, NI, pension. That would be an increase not a reduction on our current wage bill when Maloney said he's expecting it to be lower.

Last edited:
If 200k is the transfer budget we might as well pack it in and start again. Wage bill sounds about right though.

It’s gonna be even harder than this year is next. Stockport and Wrexham will both be coming up with far bigger budgets and ditto Mansfield I reckon if they make it.

In fairness, the lad responded to a post of what Maloney had said earlier in week, with a guess of £200k budget and 4k per week wages. He did put something on about Humphrys earlier in week, accusing him of feigning injury, called him out on it as did Humps. I don't think Humps wants to be here, but to accuse him of that on Twitter was bang out of order. Lad thinks he's clever cos he warned a few about the Bahraini's, but has been caught out before as a bullshitter

4k in L1 is a good wage.

200k net spend in transfer budget is better than most in L1.

But Maloney and Rioch both said they haven't had the discussion about money yet so if Danson hasn't told them he won't be telling anyone else who's going to be putting it out on Twitter.

But if you do the sums, we are going to have a squad of about 25 players, if we paid each of them 4k a week that is virtually a 5m annual wage bill before any apperance, goal bonuses, NI, pension. That would be an increase not a reduction on our current wage bill when Maloney said he's expecting it to be lower.
Season Ticket sales account for approx £1.5m. Thats a lot of sponsorship and away fans required to plug the gap if the wage bill is getting on for £5m.

We won’t be paying know where near 4 grand a week for 20 players. More like 2 grand for most. Probably be a a lot of bonus payments. For wins cup runs etc.

Why does anyone give credence to crap like this, does anyone honestly believe that a Manager would have a meeting with a newish owner he barely knows about future spending plans then blabs it to someone else who then tells someone else, who posts it on twitter.

Some need to listen to the words of this classic song.