this is how it will go. | Vital Football

this is how it will go.

DRAGNET

Vital 1st Team Regular
I expect us to fall down from the top spots this month. We will shed points until IR get a grip and starts playing a winning formation which will cement a play off place. Hopefully IR will achieve this, but as we all know the play offs are a lottery. The season need not be a failure, and can be a success (if we miss promotion) if we get to Wembley and win the papa john trophy. Not what we were hoping for but better than nothing.

It's possible that we may slip out of the top two for a short while but I have every confidence that at the end of April we will be in one of the automatic promotion spots.

I expect us to fall down from the top spots this month. We will shed points until IR get a grip and starts playing a winning formation which will cement a play off place. Hopefully IR will achieve this, but as we all know the play offs are a lottery. The season need not be a failure, and can be a success (if we miss promotion) if we get to Wembley and win the papa john trophy. Not what we were hoping for but better than nothing.
We are going through a slight dip yes, but we have a strong squad and I expect us to soon pick up the winning thread. We have got some good players in for this level and when they get settled we will go on another run I am sure

Who is IR....😉.... hopefully ur wrong n we take one of the automatic spots 😉

I actually think these next 2 home games have taken on more importance. Take 6 and we are back on track, 4 even isn't disastrous. It's a confidence thing.

Christ on a bike! You're a barrell of laughs tonight 😳😳😳

I actually think these next 2 home games have taken on more importance. Take 6 and we are back on track, 4 even isn't disastrous. It's a confidence thing.
Will be seriously pissed off if we don't take 6 points but this little blimp of a run has been there for all to see at homes game for a good few months now so it wouldn't be a massive surprise if we get 1 or 2 points out of these games.

I'm getting uncomfortable vibes of the 99-00 season under Benson.

We had Dezeeuw, Carroll, Barlow, Liddell, Haworth who were head and shoulders above the opposition. Just like our squad this year.

We started well and went on a long unbeaten and were at the top looking certain for the automatics. Again just like this year.

But as the season went on performances became increasingly poor but we kept picking up results for a while thanks to our superior individual players dragging us through. Same again.

Eventually results caught up with our poor performances, we lost our unbeaten run. This is the same type of spot we find ourselves in now.

In the 99-00 season we stuttered badly over the rest of the season especially in the final run in when we had the fixtures that should've saw us get over the line but we just didn't perform when it mattered most. We ended up missing out on an automatic spot and losing in the play off final.

I hope this is where the parallels between that season and this stop and we bounce back. But as that season showed it might be a sign of a good team to win when you don't play well if you have an off day, but when you rarely play well it is actually a warning sign and results wont keep coming through if you don't improve.

Since battering Bolton in the middle of October we've only played well a handful of times and we've been lucky to have the significant advantage of having individually better players than virtually everyone we play as that quality has got us through. But if we didn't have that advantage and the opposition had a similar calibre of player this style of play would have us closer to the bottom than the top.

We are trying to do what Barnsley did under Ishmael and as a under dog other teams didnt fear, with the right type of recruitment he was able to make it work a treat. But when he went to West Brom and tried to bring his long ball with him to the more skilful players who were less physical and being a team that is favourite going into every game and other sides fear it fell flat. We have not recruited a set of players suited to this style of play and as one of the favourites to win the league teams sit deeper and this style is far less effective in those circumstances. We are playing relegation battling style with a promotion challenging side and it's a mismatch that isn't getting the best out of what we have.

I have major doubts that are current preferred style of play can get us the results to earn promotion. But we have shown we can play a different style and I have faith that if we did that every week we would be fine. This team is too talented to play hoof and hope - it's such a waste of our potential.

The balls in our court, we are in a fantastic position and we have all the attributes you need to go up except the hoofing it over Lang, McClean, Keane, etc heads is largely nullifying our strengths. We have shown we can change it when we want to (Gills first half, last 30 mins against Morcambe and Fleetwood, last 60 mins against Oxford, etc) so there is no reason we can't put this right and go on a good run playing more effective and attractive football. If we don't go up it's going to be because we didn't take the opportunity not because we lack the quality.

I said last week after Oxford I hoped the penny dropped and we'd see us finally learn our lesson but Sheff Wed proved unfortunately it didn't. I just hope the Sheff Wed performance and result is the kick up the arse we needed to put things right and against Charlton we'll see something more like the changed approach we saw in the Oxford game.

We had Dezeeuw, Carroll, Barlow, Liddell, Haworth who were head and shoulders above the opposition. Just like our squad this year.

We started well and went on a long unbeaten and were at the top looking certain for the automatics. Again just like this year.

But as the season went on performances became increasingly poor but we kept picking up results for a while thanks to our superior individual players dragging us through. Same again.

Eventually results caught up with our poor performances, we lost our unbeaten run. This is the same type of spot we find ourselves in now.

In the 99-00 season we stuttered badly over the rest of the season especially in the final run in when we had the fixtures that should've saw us get over the line but we just didn't perform when it mattered most. We ended up missing out on an automatic spot and losing in the play off final.

I hope this is where the parallels between that season and this stop and we bounce back. But as that season showed it might be a sign of a good team to win when you don't play well if you have an off day, but when you rarely play well it is actually a warning sign and results wont keep coming through if you don't improve.

Since battering Bolton in the middle of October we've only played well a handful of times and we've been lucky to have the significant advantage of having individually better players than virtually everyone we play as that quality has got us through. But if we didn't have that advantage and the opposition had a similar calibre of player this style of play would have us closer to the bottom than the top.

We are trying to do what Barnsley did under Ishmael and as a under dog other teams didnt fear, with the right type of recruitment he was able to make it work a treat. But when he went to West Brom and tried to bring his long ball with him to the more skilful players who were less physical and being a team that is favourite going into every game and other sides fear it fell flat. We have not recruited a set of players suited to this style of play and as one of the favourites to win the league teams sit deeper and this style is far less effective in those circumstances. We are playing relegation battling style with a promotion challenging side and it's a mismatch that isn't getting the best out of what we have.

I have major doubts that are current preferred style of play can get us the results to earn promotion. But we have shown we can play a different style and I have faith that if we did that every week we would be fine. This team is too talented to play hoof and hope - it's such a waste of our potential.

The balls in our court, we are in a fantastic position and we have all the attributes you need to go up except the hoofing it over Lang, McClean, Keane, etc heads is largely nullifying our strengths. We have shown we can change it when we want to (Gills first half, last 30 mins against Morcambe and Fleetwood, last 60 mins against Oxford, etc) so there is no reason we can't put this right and go on a good run playing more effective and attractive football. If we don't go up it's going to be because we didn't take the opportunity not because we lack the quality.

I said last week after Oxford I hoped the penny dropped and we'd see us finally learn our lesson but Sheff Wed proved unfortunately it didn't. I just hope the Sheff Wed performance and result is the kick up the arse we needed to put things right and against Charlton we'll see something more like the changed approach we saw in the Oxford game.
17 draws did the damage in 99/00.
We're nowhere near that level yet.

That's very detailed KDZ and I agree - to distill it - continue with the long ball we land in playoffs play football on the deck finish top 2

Now I'm all for constructive criticism and debate around tactics and form etc but there's a hellnof a lot of negativity on here at rhe minute. It seems to rear its head on here every season recently particularly when we have a bad run, if you can call 3 games that.

Cook's first season when we had a sticky spell around the City game the same suspects were on here. "Cook's negative tactics, too much hoofball, we'll blow it". The nay sayers were wrong, we got promoted.

Season after, bad run for a couple of months. "Cook is taking us down, no plan b, negative hoofball". We turned it around, stayed up, wrong again.

Next season, "shite this, Cook out, going down, no clue, hoofball, picking wrong players". Would've been a mid-table finish and wrong again, administration sent us down.

Last season, due to the state the club was in criticism was kept to a minimum. However, the same suspects crept out of the woodwork occasionally, "going down, no fight, worst team I've ever seen, should be top half with this squad, relegation fodder". Guess what.....wrong again!

Then lo and behold this season, bad run of form and all the same culprits who won the champions lge with Watford on Championship Manager are at it again telling us what's going to happen, how shite we are, how bad our tactics are etc etc . Well I'm sorry but I've heard it all before so I'll put my faith in the manager, staff and the players all the same. We'll be back in the championship next year with a nice slice of pizza trophy to go with it. No doubt the same culprits will be out in force though telling us how lucky we were, how wrong our tactics were and how we are going back down. Love this board.

Up the long ball Tics!

Now I'm all for constructive criticism and debate around tactics and form etc but there's a hellnof a lot of negativity on here at rhe minute. It seems to rear its head on here every season recently particularly when we have a bad run, if you can call 3 games that.

Cook's first season when we had a sticky spell around the City game the same suspects were on here. "Cook's negative tactics, too much hoofball, we'll blow it". The nay sayers were wrong, we got promoted.

Season after, bad run for a couple of months. "Cook is taking us down, no plan b, negative hoofball". We turned it around, stayed up, wrong again.

Next season, "shite this, Cook out, going down, no clue, hoofball, picking wrong players". Would've been a mid-table finish and wrong again, administration sent us down.

Last season, due to the state the club was in criticism was kept to a minimum. However, the same suspects crept out of the woodwork occasionally, "going down, no fight, worst team I've ever seen, should be top half with this squad, relegation fodder". Guess what.....wrong again!

Then lo and behold this season, bad run of form and all the same culprits who won the champions lge with Watford on Championship Manager are at it again telling us what's going to happen, how shite we are, how bad our tactics are etc etc . Well I'm sorry but I've heard it all before so I'll put my faith in the manager, staff and the players all the same. We'll be back in the championship next year with a nice slice of pizza trophy to go with it. No doubt the same culprits will be out in force though telling us how lucky we were, how wrong our tactics were and how we are going back down. Love this board.

Up the long ball Tics!
To be fair, Cook would've probably been sacked twice over, if it wasn't for our anonymous, money laundering Choiboy.
I did say when he went to Ipswich, he wouldn't have been afforded the same amount of time he had here, and that's because Choiboy was already planning his escape, he couldn't give a toss about us, and that's why Cook wasn't sacked.

To be fair, Cook would've probably been sacked twice over, if it wasn't for our anonymous, money laundering Choiboy.
I did say when he went to Ipswich, he wouldn't have been afforded the same amount of time he had here, and that's because Choiboy was already planning his escape, he couldn't give a toss about us, and that's why Cook wasn't sacked.
And the previous season ......?

Choi/Au Yeung made a stupid decision ...... but getting rid of Cook earlier would effectively have been catastrophic, as it would have meant that the subsequent decision to fold (when we didn't recover as we did under Cook) would have been justified ....... and probably, our death knell.

Choi/Au Yeung made a stupid decision ...... but getting rid of Cook earlier would effectively have been catastrophic, as it would have meant that the subsequent decision to fold (when we didn't recover as we did under Cook) would have been justified ....... and probably, our death knell.
The point I'm trying to make is, if anyone else had been owners of the club at the time, Cook would've probably been sacked in 2019.

Up the long ball Tics!

What you fail to mention is much of the critasism as to why we were struggling at the time was valid and the turn around in results came when we rectified those issues.

It wasn't that we kept playing identically but it magically started working, there were adjustments some subtle, some significant that addressed the issues we had.

Most of them were pretty much along the same lines as what people are saying now dont over play long, more passing through midfield, quicker tempo, move movement, etc - those concepts keep getting said because it's pretty much universally true not just for Latics but any team.

Fair point ....... but as Cook went to demonstrate, they would have been wrong.
I suspect it was Cook's inconsistent results that set the "sale" ball in motion, if truth be told.
I remember Paul Kendrick saying, the points we dropped from winning positions in the 19/20 season would've had us safely in the play offs.
Choiboy wanted Premier League and didn't get it, so did a moonlight flit to cut his losses.

Alternatively if they sacked Cook early his replacement was good as Exiled said it might have encouraged Choi to stick it out a bit longer. Or even if Choi still opted for Admin the new boss might have got us the extra couple of points we needed to stay in the Championship despite the deduction. If that happened the first buyer may not have walked away and we could've avoided the carnage that followed. If it had played out like that we'd have said sacking Cook was certainly the right call.

Who knows how it could've changed everything for the better or worse.