Thinking ahead | Vital Football

Thinking ahead

Rexn

Vital Champions League
Rafa will have already started making plans for IF he stays next season. Obviously, Ashley will start thinking about it on 32nd August. However, there will be some talent with Premier League experience that we could be looking at from clubs to be relegated, as well as out of contract players.

Just thought it might be worth floating who we would like to see, or at least consider.

For me, Wilshere is the pick of out of contract.

Of the potentially relegated, here are some who could improve us:
Fraser Forster
Jack Butland
Kieron Gibbs
Patrick van Aanholt
Ryan Bertrand
Joe Allon
James Ward-Prowse
Marko Arnautovic
Charlie Austin (as back up)
Wilfred Bony ( as back up)
Jay Rodriguez (as back up)
Andy Carroll
Wilfred Zaha
Andros Townsend

Any thoughts?

Definitely like Butland, Bertrand, Ward Prowse and Zaha. Always thought that Nathan Redmond lad could be a real player and at times Cresswell has looked quality for West Ham. Manolo Gabbiadini could be worth a look . Wilshere's far too injury prone to gamble on. When you look at Southampton's squad next to ours it really shows their manager up.

keggy_keagal - 10/3/2018 20:00
When you look at Southampton's squad next to ours it really shows their manager up.
On the other hand, it also shows the quality of Rafa with an inferior squad.

Our squad is inferior to the current top ten.

The rest like us are clearly garbage,a fair few even worse.

Chris Hughton who gets paid a fraction of our managers wage is not necessarily showing quality whilst guiding his poorer squad into a relatively decent position.

A little bit of man management,motivational ability,and guts goes a long way, Rafa should be applauded for ditching the negativity and finally getting that.

I know it's dangerous to think ahead and Rafa will no doubt bang on about it but it all depends on what wedge we actually have available if we stay up.

I wonder if there'll be any scope in making Kenedy a permanent fixture or even get him on loan for a full season but surely the kitty will be North of £60m.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 10/3/2018 23:38

I know it's dangerous to think ahead and Rafa will no doubt bang on about it but it all depends on what wedge we actually have available if we stay up.

I wonder if there'll be any scope in making Kenedy a permanent fixture or even get him on loan for a full season but surely the kitty will be North of £60m.

How anyone could be sure of what the kitty would be is beyond me.

I think the second Ashley dithers/lies on any signings this time, Benitez walks. That’s if he’s not already made his mind up to go.

Neppos - 11/3/2018 00:28

Don't talk about that, it's been done to death.

First time I've seen any speculation as to what this summer's kitty would be. Unless of course you're really just doing you're usual routine pet.

keggy_keagal - 11/3/2018 00:14
I have done it before on several occasions. I remember being given a load of crap on the internet for predicting relatively close to what McClaren was allowed to spend. The difference was what amounted to agents' fees.

For me, Toony has it just about as net spend but that may be subject to review when the next accounts come out, later this month. He may have been conservative depending on the timing of instalments for the likes of Sissoko.

We can work it out. The confounding factor is always what the fat man will do.

Of course we could be treated to another round of 'takeover bids' and all the speculation that goes with it. That would put the brake on any potential spending.

Mcnamee67 - 11/3/2018 20:06

Of course we could be treated to another round of 'takeover bids' and all the speculation that goes with it. That would put the brake on any potential spending.

Touché

Rexn - 11/3/2018 19:10

keggy_keagal - 11/3/2018 00:14
I have done it before on several occasions. I remember being given a load of crap on the internet for predicting relatively close to what McClaren was allowed to spend. The difference was what amounted to agents' fees.

For me, Toony has it just about as net spend but that may be subject to review when the next accounts come out, later this month. He may have been conservative depending on the timing of instalments for the likes of Sissoko.

We can work it out. The confounding factor is always what the fat man will do.

It is, all about what Ashley will do but I made a guesstimate based on how much cash they cannot divert at a late stage.

I also said it was a dangerous game to think ahead and one where Rafa wont publicly declare that he has thought about a future kitty but he'll have done his own sums.

Off the top of my head and armed with a £30m profit in the championship season to go with the £10m net spend this time round, the £70m - £75m net spend that McClaren got in the relegation season that shouldn't have been, should be near enough what's available again.

Just wonder if Ashley will trust all the hard work done by Rafa in papering over the absolute shit tip he's made of the club, in order to be trusted with the same spend again and without touching on the takeover stories, i'll believe them just as much as the last ones in that they'll be believed when the workmen are crowbarring the shite direct letters off the stadium.

We also have the problem of loan players so we would probably have to spend maybe £50m just to stand still. To secure the longer term services of the 3 loan players. This is one of the reasons the makems got into such a mess in my view. Year after year their best players were on loan so at the end of each season they got worse not better, despite spending a bit of cash here and there.

We wont buy Slimani, Dubravka will cost around £5m and Kenedy between £10m and £15m.

With Mitrovic raising £15m+, we'd still only have a Net spend of nowt to improve straight away. No reason whatsoever for not buying at least one £25m+ signing this Summer if we stop up although Ashley's lot will provide many.

That's my reading of the situation too.

What else can he do. It doesn't look to me as if he has any scope for anything else.

Best thing to happen to the club in 20 years and we'll lose all of it because of one man.