Things about modern football that make you feel really old | Page 2 | Vital Football

Things about modern football that make you feel really old

Balti pies.

Also the way some players, especially after scoring a goal, look to hitch-hike a lift and get the sign all wrong - pointing their thumb to the back of their neck area - WTF.

There was a time when signing players was a event that might only happen once or twice in a career. Players spent their whole careers with one club.

There was a time when signing players was a event that might only happen once or twice in a career. Players spent their whole careers with one club.

True. My memories of Gills through the 70’s and 80’s (probably not accurate, but oh well) was the team was basically the same year to year, with just a couple of new faces. And I often didn’t hear about them until reading the program at the first game. “Oh, we’ve got a new No8. What happened to Smithy? He get transferred?”.

Definitely different times.

Players hitting the ground at the slightest touch and writhing around in agony. Having been brought up watching the likes of Steve Bruce and Keith Oakes in the Gills defence, it seems like a different world these days. When I used to slide tackle, I'd invariably launch myself from another postcode.

Another close to my heart is the matchday programme - all very glossy and informative but do we really need 72 pages of adverts, 4 pages about what Tommy Trublue and his girlfriend had for lunch. the next years booking for Xmas parties etc, etc, especially when most of the info is available on line. A tidy 16 page effort will do like we did in the 1970s would be completely adequate, take up less loft space and kill less trees! :sleep:

Players hitting the ground at the slightest touch and writhing around in agony. Having been brought up watching the likes of Steve Bruce and Keith Oakes in the Gills defence, it seems like a different world these days. When I used to slide tackle, I'd invariably launch myself from another postcode.
Except one
Old School

Just read Peter Crouch's How To Be a Footballer. In it there is the revelation that all the top clubs have a kind of big pop up toaster for players boots. You place your boots in and when they descend they are gently steamed to make the soft leather a bit softer. Some players use it before every training session too!!

Fans forums and social media replacing the classic BMH.

I used to love reading that as it was well written, funny, poignant, and realistic about the club and certain players without the aggression and self righteousness seen on social media and this forum.

When did we all turn into such miserable gits?

Being Sober before, during and after the game.

Whatever happened to getting the 6:30 AM train from Chatham even if we were only playing in the home counties. The sound of people opening cans at that time of morning still brings back flashbacks of those times :-)

Transfer deadline day.

I remember when teams could buy or flog a player at will. A bit strapped for cash? Sell someone. Need a boost for promotion? Buy someone. Now you have a window it has to be done during.
And the main annoyance is the fact that sky tv make a whole event of “player x is talking to club Y. Will it be done in time? Find out after the break”
It generally ends up as no.

*edit. Gotta admit this years window is pretty exciting for us though, for a change.

Last edited:
Fans forums and social media replacing the classic BMH.

I used to love reading that as it was well written, funny, poignant, and realistic about the club and certain players without the aggression and self righteousness seen on social media and this forum.

When did we all turn into such miserable gits?

When I turned 60. Its a kind of rights of passage thing and a tacit acceptance that our kids have inherited the earth.