"They’re spending probably two or three times more than any other team in the league...." | Page 2 | Vital Football

"They’re spending probably two or three times more than any other team in the league...."

We have the highest average attendance I believe, I'm assuming we have the highest gate receipts ergo entitled to have a high budget

Yes, I was going to say, given squad size compared to some others, but more importantly, our money has come from successful cup runs (a massive rarity in recent years), TV income, not to mention season tickets and gates regularly topping 8,000. Hugely more sustainable than gates of 2,000+, no TV income, cup runs, etc. at least Artell has watched us and sussed our different playing styles this year, so after last year I'm not going to pre-judge him until after the game, when we will hopefull have our revenge from last season?

'they've spent a lot of money'

Transfer cash incoming (last two seasons. Estimates / internet rumour)

Raggett £250k
Woodyard £250k
Palmer £20k
Waterfall 50k
Whitehouse £30k

Total £600k

Outlay

Bostwick / Anderson £100k
Akinde £150k
Frecklington £75k
Pett £50k
Luque £5k

Total £380k

Net profit - £220k

Frees: Shackell, Green, Palmer, Eardley, O'Connor, Wilson, Andrade, Smith, Vickers.

Have I missed anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
We didn't sell Whitehouse, we bought him.

You also forget Raggett 'in' and Robinson out if we're going back that far.

Farman was sold, too.

League seasons only. I thought Whitehouse went for a fee to Grimsby, and we got about the same as we paid.

Sure. I understand that. But raw figures show we have spent about two thirds of what we have received.

Our wage bill will have risen, for sure. But my point: to suggest we've gone mad and are spending two or three times more than anyone else in the division isn't supported by the raw figures.

If our budget is bigger than most, and I'd say that's a fair assumption, it's been boosted through sales, ticket revenue and actually winning stuff.

looking at the table, there seem to be a bunch of have-nots near the bottom, crewe being one of them. their manager probably feels that everyone is better off than he is, disregarding the other five in the bunch. he will probably also say mkdons [and mansfield, fgr, colchester etc etc] have three times the budget of everyone else when crewe play them.

One 'nasty' outgoing that has been left out is Agents fees. Cannot for the life of me don't understand why the players don't pay this, they are after all working for them to get the best deal.

Point is, as soon as someone says a football team is spending large, the implied message is that team is trying to buy success and has an unsustainable business model.

If indeed we are spending two or three times more than others in the league, the Crewe manager needs to give his comment some context: we've invested transfer income, we have the highest gates, we have won stuff and prize money with it. For the moment we can afford the money we have spent. That is a huge difference and destroys the implication.

Point is, as soon as someone says a football team is spending large, the implied message is that team is trying to buy success and has an unsustainable business model.

It only matters if you are incredibly thin skinned and even care remotely what a manager says about us in his press conference...

'they've spent a lot of money's

Transfer cash incoming (last two seasons. Estimates / internet rumour)

Raggett £250k
Woodyard £250k
Palmer £20k
Waterfall 50k
Whitehouse £30k

Total £600k

Outlay

Bostwick / Anderson £100k
Akinde £150k
Frecklington £75k
Pett £50k
Luque £5k

Total £380k

Net profit - £220k

Frees: Shackell, Green, Palmer, Eardley, O'Connor, Wilson, Andrade, Smith, Vickers.

Have I missed anyone?

I heard we got £20k for Robinson and £325k a piece for Woodward and Raggett.

It only matters if you are incredibly thin skinned and even care remotely what a manager says about us in his press conference...

Think there's quite a few posting on here that may fall into this category Sincilbanks. Much like you I suspect, I couldn't really give two figs what other managers say about us.

I'm actually not really sure what opposing managers are supposed to say to appease the sensitive mob. Maybe something along the lines of "Lincoln are amazing; they never hit long balls; they honestly don't pay big wages; we think they're the best club by far in the league" would do it? In reality though, these managers have their own agendas and their own fans to appease; and I dare say if we were lower bottom half with a lower bottom half budget, we (fans, manager, chairman etc.) might well be saying the same.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite partial to a Garry Hill 'dog' rant; or even a David Filtcroft "Danny Cowley? Wow" moment. But Artell mentioning we pay good wages and that we should be expected to finish in the top 3? Not much to see here for me.

I heard Raggett was more, Woodyard was less, Palmer is about right, Waterfall is less, Whitehouse I don’t think we got a fee but a tribunal may happen. Plus a fee for Farman.

Bostwick/ Anderson was more. Akinde less orginally, to be more should clauses be met. Frecklington no idea. Luque not that much yet. Pett, I believe slightly less but you might be right.

All of this is what i’ve heard. Sources are a mixture of reliability though.

Thanks Imps2018. Anyway, it was just to illustrate a point.