The Youri Tielemens Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Youri Tielemens Thread

Unlikely as the story is, what's his worth and how could we reinvest it to add significant improvements to the team?

In today's market a player of his caliber and age has got to be worth £40-50m. If we are seriously suggesting that he's not the player for us, then offload him at the right price and everyone's a winner - pure FFP cream.

I think he was always going to struggle to dislodge Bouba Dougie JJ or SJM from our midfield on a regular basis but I think having watched him he's at the biggest club he's ever going to be at. So my guess is although he won't be happy not starting every week he certainly knows why and he certainly isn't trying to leave.
He just has to wait for injuries and suspensions to kick in, he's actually lucky JJ isn't back or he'd be playing even less from what I've seen of him at Villa so far.
I have to admit at Leicester he always looked the part and it wasn't until I got to see him in a Villa shirt that I realised he couldn't run. There again he could suit our walking football style as he can find a pass and has great vision, you don't need speed for that just quick feet and brain

There again he could suit our walking football style as he can find a pass and has great vision, you don't need speed for that just quick feet and brain

Whenever I've seen him play for us I've thought his passing was way off.

He also seems to think he has a lot more time on the ball than he has and ends up getting closed down.

I wouldn't want to play him currently due to his form but without playing will his form improve?

He's very early into his Villa career and 1 injury away from being a 1st team regular.

Think he just needs to be patient. Chances of Luiz, Kamara and McGinn all getting through the next 7 months unscathed are pretty slim.

I admire he wants to play but it would do him the world of good if his body had a break. A year of not playing 40-50+ high intensity games a season is probably what he needs.

The season they won the FA Cup he played 4000 minutes of club football. Just to compare how much that is Declan Rice only just gets to 4000 minutes last season. Most players are getting between 2800-3300 a year.
Diddums.

Unlikely as the story is, what's his worth and how could we reinvest it to add significant improvements to the team?

In today's market a player of his caliber and age has got to be worth £40-50m. If we are seriously suggesting that he's not the player for us, then offload him at the right price and everyone's a winner - pure FFP cream.
I'd say he's a 10-15 mill player maybe stretch to £20 mill tops.
Snap their hands off if anyone is bidding for him to get his wages off the books and look to get a useful replacement (or Tim comes good I guess if he's not moved on for 'ffp')

He is a decent player If O can remember but has been pretty ordinary over the past 2 years! I would not be sorry to see him go in Jan, he cost nothing but demands high wages, if he wants, get rid. Apart from the occasional through ball, he's done nothing for us.....Yet. saying all that, I think its all bull, Mid Oct is not the time for rocking the boat. I have a feeling JJ has put the frighteners up him, cos he's way off that kid.

Not sure he's been as bad as some have made out considering he is at a new club adapting to Unai's style of playing , but I suppose that's the nature of the beast nowadays.

I'm certainly not selling him yet as some of the more stranger posts have suggested.
Yes there's definitely some 'hot takes' in here.

Not sure he's been as bad as some have made out considering he is at a new club adapting to Unai's style of playing , but I suppose that's the nature of the beast nowadays.

I'm certainly not selling him yet as some of the more stranger posts have suggested.
I think we'd be moaning far more if we were having to play 18-year-olds when we need to rotate. He's more than good enough for Europe and to stand in for The Dougmeister and Bouba

This is yet more clickbait from the internet "pundits". Tielemens' agent has formally denied that he has any plans to force a move away from the club.

Granted they were the Champions of Bosnia and weren't too bother to have a go I thought he had improved quite a bit over his other performances. Still not at the levels he needed to be but he looks like he is very slowly getting there.

I'd love if he could improve as quickly as Pau and Zaniolo but I think its just going to be a slow burn for him. I definitely believe Emery can bring him back to former levels. You don't lose the class he has overnight and he certainly doesn't appear to be like Dele or Sancho.

Don't get this washed up analogy because they started young. Different sports but Federer, Nadal, Djokovic have had remarkable extended careers. Johnny Sextant is 38 and still playing the No10 role for the number 1 team in the world.

Elite sports people know how to look after their bodies and prolong their careers, it's just whether they can follow their regimes to maintain peak performance and still have the same drive and desire to compete at the highest level. Tielemans is 26 - no way is he "burnt out".

Don't get this washed up analogy because they started young. Different sports but Federer, Nadal, Djokovic have had remarkable extended careers. Johnny Sextant is 38 and still playing the No10 role for the number 1 team in the world.

Elite sports people know how to look after their bodies and prolong their careers, it's just whether they can follow their regimes to maintain peak performance and still have the same drive and desire to compete at the highest level. Tielemans is 26 - no way is he "burnt out".
That's a good argument Merd.

Mind you, how the hell Johnny Sexton keeps going I don't know. I fear for him in later life.

I tjink with Youri, it will probably just take time for him to get used to Unais system.

Look at Cash, Konza, Mings, Digne, McGinn, JJ

All of them struggled, or in a few cases, looked like their time wa ups for us, but everyone of them is now a far better player than when they started. Bouba is going through an iffy stage now, after having a stop start Emery career. In fact, only really Dougie got it from day one.

He will be frustrated now, as Konza was when he lost his place to Carlos, as Cash was when he lost his place to Ash, as Digne was, when he lost his place to Moreno.

But i am sure, if his attitude is right, he will work through this and we will be all saying - i cant believe we thought he should be gone' in 12 months time

I tjink with Youri, it will probably just take time for him to get used to Unais system.

Look at Cash, Konza, Mings, Digne, McGinn, JJ

All of them struggled, or in a few cases, looked like their time wa ups for us, but everyone of them is now a far better player than when they started. Bouba is going through an iffy stage now, after having a stop start Emery career. In fact, only really Dougie got it from day one.

He will be frustrated now, as Konza was when he lost his place to Carlos, as Cash was when he lost his place to Ash, as Digne was, when he lost his place to Moreno.

But i am sure, if his attitude is right, he will work through this and we will be all saying - i cant believe we thought he should be gone' in 12 months time
The only thing I would add to that by way of not sure, is that I think his legs have gone. Doesn't look like he's got a gallup in him. Hope I'm wrong.

Maybe, but maybe thats just his style. We cant really judge yet.

As fans, we all love the all action McGinns of this world, and the blood and thunder challenges, but I also remember having a go at Petrov, and, although it was at a different level, Hourihane for not working hard enough - but they both went on to be Villa stalwarts. Who knows at the moment, we will have to wait and see