The World Cup Thread | Page 64 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

Shining a light, where the light is from the reflection of the Qatar sun off all of the coins that he got from the Qatari government to promote their World Cup.

They seem to be able to take the knee but not make a stand?

I feel an article brewing
I'm not a fan of Zaha at Palace, but I completely agree with his refusal to take the knee. It's a completely empty gesture that has no impact whatsoever. If these players want to actually DO something then I'm ready to pay attention. Get into your local communities and bring people together, raise money for victims, put your name on a fundraiser or charity, lobby your MP to investigate the atrocities happening in places like Qatar and Ukraine.... SOMETHING. They do nothing to create meaningful change.

I'm not a fan of Zaha at Palace, but I completely agree with his refusal to take the knee. It's a completely empty gesture that has no impact whatsoever. If these players want to actually DO something then I'm ready to pay attention. Get into your local communities and bring people together, raise money for victims, put your name on a fundraiser or charity, lobby your MP to investigate the atrocities happening in places like Qatar and Ukraine.... SOMETHING. They do nothing to create meaningful change.

100% agree, the problem is anyone who does refuse to take the knee is then criticised and labelled as condoning racism. They're all just doing as they're told, to avoid being at the centre of a media witch hunt

We're not doing taking the knee again are we?

When players do campaign and get involved they get pelters and told to stick to football - see Mings, Sterling, Rashford. They really can't win.

Taking the knee is of course entirely symbolic, but sometimes symbols are important. See how the mood on taking the knee in football has turned from before the Euros to now. From getting booed by meatheads to almost boringly universally accepted - that shows a change caused by their persevering with it and helps to encourage an atmosphere where it's not okay to be racist. Everyone doing what they're told/what's socially expected is an important part of society, so making anti-racism part of that is a good thing to my mind. It's not enough *by itself* though, of course.