The World Cup Thread | Page 61 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

The purpose of the World Cup etc its to develop football in nations where it isn't strong , not give some part timers a chance to boast to their mates in 20 years time about when he played against Sam Gallagher .

For the life of me I can't see how playing England will make San Marino a better footballing nation , surely there has to be a structure that actually makes them better.

The purpose of the World Cup etc its to develop football in nations where it isn't strong , not give some part timers a chance to boast to their mates in 20 years time about when he played against Sam Gallagher .

For the life of me I can't see how playing England will make San Marino a better footballing nation , surely there has to be a structure that actually makes them better.
Exactly, we're not talking about stopping the likes of Greece and Romania etc. It's the likes of San Marino, who are at best part timers. They shouldn't be involved.

The world cup is there to find the best nation in the world and ultimately we get there as if you're not good enough you don't qualify for the tournament.

But to suggest that nations shouldn't even get the chance to qualify is awful. You're trying to create a closed shop in the same way the European Super League teams were.

It's nothing to do with us making San Marino better. That's not our job or our concern. But those players have earned the right to play these games by being their countries best footballers.

Charlton got 3 of his goals in a 9-0 win over Luxembourg.

Greaves also scored 3 of his goals in an 8-0 win over Luxembourg.

What's your point apart from wanting to pour negativity over a positive result?

I wonder if back then England fans were stupid enough to castigate them as not being as good as those that came before them?
It's a fair point, however I don't remember endless meaningless international fixtures featuring teams that are only there because FIFA want to cast their net far and wide for the money aspect.

What about a few preliminary rounds like the FA Cup for the nations at the bottom end of the performance tables.

I wouldn't be completely against that. Maybe the world's 32 weakest nations compete and only 16 earn the right to take part in proper qualifying?

I'm sure things could be tweaked.

But the hysteria saying they shouldn't be involved at all doesn't sit right with me at all.

It's a fair point, however I don't remember endless meaningless international fixtures featuring teams that are only there because FIFA want to cast their net far and wide for the money aspect.

I can't see how having San Marino involved would earn FIFA any money at all. They'd surely earn more money if they made it a closed shop with only the top nations (as per the super league).

The only reason the smaller nations are involved is because its right and fair. Nothing to do with money.

It is. Its the very essence of sport.

Excluding nations for not being good enough isn't sport.

Look at the Olympics. How many small nations go there with zero chance of winning a medal? Loads. But do we tell them they can't compete?
It's not sport, it's not a level playing field.
Imagine if they had a free for all in boxing, people would be killed .
These are massive no contests and need some sort of preliminary rounds.

The world cup is there to find the best nation in the world and ultimately we get there as if you're not good enough you don't qualify for the tournament.

But to suggest that nations shouldn't even get the chance to qualify is awful. You're trying to create a closed shop in the same way the European Super League teams were.

It's nothing to do with us making San Marino better. That's not our job or our concern. But those players have earned the right to play these games by being their countries best footballers.

Nope I said there should be a structure in place to make these nations better and be competitive when they do come up against higher ranked sides. Absolutely there should be a chance to qualify , but there isn't at the moment .No chance.

I can't see how having San Marino involved would earn FIFA any money at all. They'd surely earn more money if they made it a closed shop with only the top nations (as per the super league).

The only reason the smaller nations are involved is because its right and fair. Nothing to do with money.
Fifa made £4.8 billion in total tv rights from the 2014 World Cup, that gave it a net profit after expenses of £2.8 billion
The bigger it gets the more it generates.

Fifa made £4.8 billion in total tv rights from the 2014 World Cup, that gave it a net profit after expenses of £2.8 billion
The bigger it gets the more it generates.

That's not how it works. TV Rights get bigger the more attractive the games are. They'd earn more if every games was an England V Germany or France v Spain. This is what the super league clubs want to achieve.

San Marino don't earn Fifa anything. They're there because they have a right to be there.

That's not how it works. TV Rights get bigger the more attractive the games are. They'd earn more if every games was an England V Germany or France v Spain. This is what the super league clubs want to achieve.

San Marino don't earn Fifa anything. They're there because they have a right to be there.
So are you saying fifa got nothing at all, and tv companies got the game for free?

Well, this escalated quickly 😳
Everyone DOES have the right to compete. For some the highlight of their career is playing England etc but it does bring about farcical results like last night. Its not even what you'd call competitive,it's like chucking a 3 year old in against Tyson.
Here's a novel idea,and I'm not saying that the " minnows " shouldn't be allowed to participate, but if Mr Wenger is adamant on a world cup every 2 years why not get the lowest ranking 30-40 teams involved in their own biannual tournament and the 2 finalists get qualification for the big boys world cup? That way at least there's an incentive and a level playing field, something we've been vocal about concerning FFP and the European Super League.
Just a thought as everyone in life deserves a chance.

So are you saying fifa got nothing at all, and tv companies got the game for free?

No, I'm saying if we were playing a better team everyone would get more money.

Theres no monetary advantage to have these weaker nations involved. England V France would have earned more for everyone.

I agree that everyone deserves a chance to compete but I’m undecided about the way to ensure this. I can’t see how getting hammered every game can be enjoyable but these players keep turning up to give it a go. A qualifying pool system or qualifying round might open a route for the better of them to battle through with the possibility of meeting a top team in the later qualifiers. It’s a system that works in the F.A. Cup with the odd giant killing thrown in.

No, I'm saying if we were playing a better team everyone would get more money.

Theres no monetary advantage to have these weaker nations involved. England V France would have earned more for everyone.
But England v San Marino at home is watched by large crowds, so that still earns money, as does all the other games against weak nations both here and in other countries.
I get the inclusivity bit, but as a footballing spectacle they are non events.
We differentiate between weak and strong in all other levels of the sport.
So if they are really serious about giving these countries a chance then put these no hopers in their own groupings, expand the finals numbers and guarantee a small number of them a final place
I suspect however there would be a huge backlash against that.

But England v San Marino at home is watched by large crowds, so that still earns money, as does all the other games against weak nations both here and in other countries.
I get the inclusivity bit, but as a footballing spectacle they are non events.
We differentiate between weak and strong in all other levels of the sport.
So if they are really serious about giving these countries a chance then put these no hopers in their own groupings, expand the finals numbers and guarantee a small number of them a final place
I suspect however there would be a huge backlash against that.
It depends on what you want. Do you want the strongest 24/32 teams in the finals, if so the current system does kind of lend itself to achieve that, particularly from a European perspective. Otherwise we allow some of the minnows a more realistic chance of reaching the finals, and have more of the walkover games we witnessed last night in the finals instead of now.

It depends on what you want. Do you want the strongest 24/32 teams in the finals, if so the current system does kind of lend itself to achieve that, particularly from a European perspective. Otherwise we allow some of the minnows a more realistic chance of reaching the finals, and have more of the walkover games we witnessed last night in the finals instead of now.
Agree mate, playing devil's advocate. If you're asking me what I think I would operate some kind of pre qualification type thing to get rid of them before the group stages, so the strongest of the weak get into the group with the rest of them.
You have probably guessed im not a big fan of the international game.
In years gone by it was novel to see England play Brazil Argentina etc and the Frances an Germanies of this world, it now seems like every five minutes
Boring