The Way Back to the Big Show | Vital Football

The Way Back to the Big Show

Wurzel

Vital Football Legend
As many of us expected the Championship is proving an extremely difficult league to get out of, just ask Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest. Add to that the strict FFP rules that we are going to meet head on next summer when we have the biggest turnover of players in years occuring at the club. I believe in the past we have been one of a few clubs that wanted a change in FFP to help us, but would we be better as a club campaigning for a Premier League 2 with more lenient FFP rules, abandoning the EFL and join an elite two tier Premiership? Surely this is going to happen sooner or later it makes sense when you consider the massive financial gulf between the EPL and the EFL? Thoughts?

Perhaps a premier league 2 would be better for us but I would still be dead against it. I'm completely against anything that makes football a closed shop. This isn't the America.

Surprised it didn't happen years ago to be honest. The EFL cutting out the clubs to negotiate the latest deal looked a very silly move, there are some big clubs in the Championship who do still attract big viewing figures.

The EFL move was daft. But I'm not sure PL2 would solve anything. The problem we've had is not that we haven't been able to spend, but we've thrown away the money we did have. Seems to happen to other clubs as well. Where it doesn't, then there's enough money available. Wolves didn't spend a fortune; what they did was get in an able foreign manager then used the right contacts to get in class players who suited his approach.

We grumble at FFP, but it may be a good thing. One of the main planks of FFP is that it stops crooks from milking a club dry then abandoning the club, which happened in a number of cases. A very good thing. It discourages clubs from spending beyond their means, which is less easy to police, but it's only fair; we come up against clubs who spend a fraction of what we do but who can be a big test. So it's frustrating in a sense that the owners can't throw their wealth at the club as much as they might wish, but maybe that's good for everybody.

It's tempting to think PL2 would move the wealth gap to below PL2, but the real wealth gap is between the top 6 or so in the PL and the rest. And I'm not sure the financial gain (TV money) which could result from a PL2 would actually materialise.

Surprised it didn't happen years ago to be honest. The EFL cutting out the clubs to negotiate the latest deal looked a very silly move, there are some big clubs in the Championship who do still attract big viewing figures.
Yes I agree J, surprised it hasn't happened. I used to be a traditionalist but the Premier League has changed all that. No good keep looking at the past we have to look at the future. So for me PL2 would be a go, also drop the League cup, not sure it is any use anymore.