The Vital Super-Exciting January Transfer Window Thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

The Vital Super-Exciting January Transfer Window Thread

Pope John XXIII - 1/2/2018 06:42

Yesterday was a ruthless and impressive tour de force by Karanka and the new owners.

Karanka said they were shocking, that some of them didn't want to play here so they could go.

He fooked off six players in one day and Traore might still go to.

When was the last time we were that efficient in getting rid of players?

He then ships in seven, a mix of experience, skill and promise. How many of those seven don't have premier league experience? Just Tomlin and Tobias I think? And there is still Ben Watson to go.

We are talking about the kinds of names I assumed were out of our reach.

And it doesn't look like we even spent any transfer money? None had been mentioned.

From the ruthless cull of toxic deadwood to the brilliant efficiency of the recruitment, yesterday was impressive on all sides.

None of the ponderous pissing about of the summer.

And then you've got us standing up to a PL side for the first time ever, telling them 'the price is £19m, now piss off' and making Burnley skulk off because they can't afford our young player.

I think some of us were worried and had every right to be based on past experiences, but the new regime has been impressive in its dealings here and the new manager has been utterly ruthless

Excellent summary!

As far as a statement of intent goes, it could not have been much better.

Most of the problem areas have been addressed with significant upgrades; upgrades that will sit very well with the young talent we already have.

It will make a refreshing change to see some of the grown ups in the team taking on the responsibility and leadership that has been so badly lacking.

AdebolaCornflakes - 1/2/2018 07:39

fook lads I've only just stopped firing my muck everywhere. Great day of business and we finally have a ruthless manager who isn't afraid to get rid of the deadwood.

Shithouses like Mancienne will know exactly where they stand now; improve or you're being fooked off.

If Mancienne and Traore had left as well it would have been as close to perfect as we could have hoped for.

The very next thing Karanka needs to do is strip the Captaincy from that clown and give it to a player who gives a fook.

And Nixon is saying that a ‘new face behind the scenes in a senior role is imminent’.
The Spanish geezer as DOF ( Herrera )?

I think the interesting thing is BA wanted to go and was allowed to go. Sensible, don’t want “want aways” disturbing club harmony. Worrall wanted to stay, and rather than force him against his will, we made a stand. If you want him it’s going to cost. I think Mancienne will be gone in the summer.

Brilliant that have stood up to PL club over the sale of a young player. It must have however that the said player didn't want to go. Hopefully this is (another) new beginning

As Pope and others say yesterday was an impressive show of intent from both our new owners and manager.

Decent, experienced players in and a host of deadwood out with little to no outlay (wages excluded of course). Hopefully all the new players turn out to be hits but the impressive thing for me is that it feels a low risk strategy.

The players signed permanently are proven who will strengthen us and give us a good start to rebuilding the squad for the start of next season. The loanees also bring experience and are upgrades. Some ate a risk but if they don’t do well we are not stuck with them.

Shift Hobbs, Vaughan, Mancienne & rest of deadwood at the end of the season, find good replacements especially to cover defence and up top and we could have a decent squad capable of challenging.

There seems to be a plan at last!

We're apparently still considering a move for another free agent (not Watson). A Spanish left back. No idea who but looking through who's available the standout name is Javier Garrido, 32, ex Norwich and Man City.

Don't know when or even if it'll happen, but allegedly Karanka is keen on whoever it is.

Lay of Mance everybody. He's a good sound player for us but just had a poor game the other night (he wasn't the only one).

For all we know he might have been ill, half injured etc - with Mills on his way out the door we had zero defensive cover in that position.

The manager wants players who 'want to be here'. Well Mance took a pay cut in the summer to stay with us. Deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Impressive workload yesterday, with a mixture of gambles and proven players brought in. Of all the business done I think Joe Lolley is the pick, followed by Pantimilon (tough on Smith, but what we need). Between Watson (assuming it gets done) Guediora and Colback we will be more solid through the middle in the short term, though expect to see Colback as a left back initially.

I do wonder how long Geudiora and Watson will be able to control a midfield at this level, so keeping an eye on contract lengths there - worth remembering there is little wrong with Bridcutt as an option and we have Yates to hopefully come through in time. Perhaps the idea is that they will fight out the same spot?

Tomlin is a nice cherry on top - as much as I like Jamie Ward for his angry little dog impression, he isn't having the impact these days. While enigmatic, Tomlin has the ability to be several levels above when at his best - what I'm hoping is that Karanka knows him well enough to get that out of him with some kind of regularity. And he will remind us all of Reidy which can only be a good thing - I'd hope this is longer term than the loan indicates.

The big thing for me is how well Figurido (I'm guessing his name - there are too many to remember) fits in - I really don't like Mancienne as a player and especially as a captain: ability in spades but as we saw again on Tuesday he buckles under any kind of pressure. Really hope this lad can dislodge him and prove to be a worthy addition. From what I've read I'm expecting someone a bit like Ayala in his first spell, without the glass legs. Karanka knows his onions defensively so I'm hoping that he can have the desired impact to see this guy dislodge captain marvel.

Meanwhile we also have something of an unknown quantity in the winger whos name I don't even know - I'm expecting impact sub cameos from him: apparently he is pacey, direct and somewhat unpredictable.

No idea how we will fit what we now have into a 451, but based on recent events I expect only Worral (incredible work to keep him), Osborn, Cash and Brereton to continue to get regular action. Probably Dowel too who will benefit from the likes of Guediora... Cash will have a job on if we see Lolly as right sided, though he is one of the few who can have his head held high in terms of recent form. Good old competition - there's plenty of it now.

paplane - 1/2/2018 09:55

Lay of Mance everybody. He's a good sound player for us but just had a poor game the other night (he wasn't the only one).

For all we know he might have been ill, half injured etc - with Mills on his way out the door we had zero defensive cover in that position.

The manager wants players who 'want to be here'. Well Mance took a pay cut in the summer to stay with us. Deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Agree with this- share a mutual friend and mancs is happy with us. Obviously his form means some of us are less happy but it cannot have been easy for players who want to be with us surrounded by wasters who didn't. benefit of doubt for sure imo

Brettwilliamslipcap - 1/2/2018 09:57

No idea how we will fit what we now have into a 451, but based on recent events I expect only Worral (incredible work to keep him), Osborn, Cash and Brereton to continue to get regular action. Probably Dowel too who will benefit from the likes of Guediora... Cash will have a job on if we see Lolly as right sided, though he is one of the few who can have his head held high in terms of recent form. Good old competition - there's plenty of it now.

good post- it's the last bit I'm excited about. keeping the glory kids group of cash, Joe, os and bb (be great if we could keep dowell as well) and putting quality alongside is absolutely the way forward imo.

The kids.best encapsulate the forest spirit and the older pros need to get with it or get out.

What a 72hrs- from horror to hope!

I won't be laying off Mancienne - making players with his mentality captain is what gets managers sacked: far and away Warburton's worst decision in his time here. Since Dawson didn't arrive I will agree that we currently need him, though I'm really hoping that is as cover only. We need better than him if we are to progress.

Brettwilliamslipcap - 1/2/2018 09:57

Impressive workload yesterday, with a mixture of gambles and proven players brought in. Of all the business done I think Joe Lolley is the pick, followed by Pantimilon (tough on Smith, but what we need). Between Watson (assuming it gets done) Guediora and Colback we will be more solid through the middle in the short term, though expect to see Colback as a left back initially.

I do wonder how long Geudiora and Watson will be able to control a midfield at this level, so keeping an eye on contract lengths there - worth remembering there is little wrong with Bridcutt as an option and we have Yates to hopefully come through in time. Perhaps the idea is that they will fight out the same spot?

Tomlin is a nice cherry on top - as much as I like Jamie Ward for his angry little dog impression, he isn't having the impact these days. While enigmatic, Tomlin has the ability to be several levels above when at his best - what I'm hoping is that Karanka knows him well enough to get that out of him with some kind of regularity. And he will remind us all of Reidy which can only be a good thing - I'd hope this is longer term than the loan indicates.

The big thing for me is how well Figurido (I'm guessing his name - there are too many to remember) fits in - I really don't like Mancienne as a player and especially as a captain: ability in spades but as we saw again on Tuesday he buckles under any kind of pressure. Really hope this lad can dislodge him and prove to be a worthy addition. From what I've read I'm expecting someone a bit like Ayala in his first spell, without the glass legs. Karanka knows his onions defensively so I'm hoping that he can have the desired impact to see this guy dislodge captain marvel.

Meanwhile we also have something of an unknown quantity in the winger whos name I don't even know - I'm expecting impact sub cameos from him: apparently he is pacey, direct and somewhat unpredictable.

The really big positive from my perspective is the impact that the new players should have on the younger players.

Up to now, Worrall, Osborn, Cash and Brereton have had a relatively easy ride; they have all done well enough but the competition for their places has been fairly poor.

The only way they will get better and fulfil their potential is by playing with, and competing for their places with, better players; those better players are now at the club.

How the likes of Worrall and Osborn have coped with having to compensate for some of the rubbish around them is beyond me; at least now they can get on with focusing on their own contributions.

paplane - 1/2/2018 09:55

Mancienne has been poor for the best part of three years; he is a woeful defender.

Brettwilliamslipcap - 1/2/2018 10:16

I won't be laying off Mancienne - making players with his mentality captain is what gets managers sacked: far and away Warburton's worst decision in his time here. Since Dawson didn't arrive I will agree that we currently need him, though I'm really hoping that is as cover only. We need better than him if we are to progress.

It's definitely fair to say Mance isn't a captain, but I do think he's a professional and doesn't deserve lumping in with some of the others. I'd hope with a better team around him he can improve, I don't think lack of effort has caused his problems. I think he's the kind of player who doesn't hold much influence, and is more likely to suffer in a bad team and improve in a good one. Just my opinion of course.

Traore going to Cardiff. He's done well to get a move to a team challenging for the playoffs.

The way I see it is that this level you can't really afford passengers, and in recent weeks we have had too many. Take McKay as an example - he has ability in spades but he all to often loses his battles and is ineffective for long periods. You could say similar about Dowell, but in his defense he does impact games with much more regularity and has greater quality in the first place. I reckon Dowell does enough in his off time to justify his shirt.

The problem comes when they are both off - that's two players who aren't winning their battles and impacting - you simply can't afford that at this level. Tomlin aside, we seem to have brought in battlers and hopefully the type that take pride in their work rate - add those the handful we already have and that should make us competitive.

I should add I'm also pleased not to see a striker come in, which I'm hoping represents a commitment to developing Brereton. I see that as a hugely positive (and sensible given his potential value and the value of average strikers in the current market) move.