The VAR / Refereeing Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

The VAR / Refereeing Thread

Now ,, when you get this recommendation from this person , we know we have a problem .

“Former Premier League referee Mike Dean said Attwell was the expert VAR in England.
He has been the VAR for four Forest games this season and refereed two. He has officiated in 10 matches involving clubs battling against relegation.
"Stuart is one of the most honest referees we've got," Dean told Sky Sports. "He is one of the best VARs we have in the country and throughout the world. To question his integrity was bang out of order."

Then you get Nuno saying what we have been saying in here for years !

Referees must take responsibility for decisions - Nuno​

Nuno Espirito Santo looks at the officials during the Everton game.
IMAGE SOURCE, GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,
Nottingham Forest are one place and one point above the Premier League relegation zone
Nick Mashiter
BBC Sport Senior Football News Reporter

• Published
      26 April 2024
Nottingham Forest boss Nuno Espirito Santo has called on referees to take responsibility and stop relying on VAR.
The head coach labelled the technology “a mess” but insisted Forest do not have a personal issue with Stuart Attwell – despite singling out the video assistant referee for Sunday’s 2-0 defeat at Everton.
Forest are expected to face Premier League and Football Association charges after a social media post on Sunday - now viewed more than 44m times - called Attwell’s integrity into question.
They had three penalty claims rejected, with the club posting on its official X account minutes after the final whistle that they had warned referees' body, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), that Attwell is allegedly a fan of relegation rivals Luton.
Nuno remains unhappy about the nature of decisions throughout the season.
“My personal feeling is about referees not taking decisions on the pitch," he said, before Sunday’s visit of Manchester City.
"They were doing it before so they should do it again and then comes VAR, not the other way around. The other way around is a huge mistake for the game."
Despite raising some concerns with PGMOL last week, the club did not ask for Attwell to be taken off VAR duties for the Everton match, BBC Sport has been told.
Nuno added the "general feeling" in football is that referees are waiting for VAR to intervene instead of making their own decisions.
“When it came I supported it but maybe, one day not much ahead of us, we will say football was better before VAR because it’s been a mess," said Nuno.
But Nuno said Forest do not want Attwell to receive any abuse because of their statement.
He said: “We don’t want things to go much further and it becomes personal or abusive to the referees."

I will say this until im being reduced to ashes , if referees were competent in the job they are being paid for , VAR would work .

If just one person stood up and said :

Being level was not offside AND REFUSED TO ALTER HIS DECISION, based on the fact that it is a high speed game and no advantage was being gained .
And a whole host of other common sense decisions .

I will say this until im being reduced to ashes , if referees were competent in the job they are being paid for , VAR would work .

If just one person stood up and said :

Being level was not offside AND REFUSED TO ALTER HIS DECISION, based on the fact that it is a high speed game and no advantage was being gained .
And a whole host of other common sense decisions .
Good decision to refer a foul not seen by the ref in the Chelsea game tonight. Just saying...

I think it's both of these.

Firstly, said this a million times but the technology can be adapted to cater for level (the laws). It's just about saying that if the red and the blue lines are less than 50cm apart then it's level. Then if the noise dies down about offside, we can really start using VAR to help referees. The easiest example is whether it's a corner or a goal-kick. A more complex example is assisting on the issuance of yellows. The vision needs to be about using VAR to uphold the laws first, and then driving the spirit back into the game.

But Ex is also right. We're now at the stage where we just forget every time VAR makes a valuable contribution to a game. We have also forgotten all those offside goals that were given in the past before technology.

What it all comes down to is whether there is acceptance of the problems and a willingness by PGMOL to get their house in order. I'm still not totally sure that they realise they are the problem.

Anyone see Will Lanksheer get booked on Friday for asking the the linesman why he was given offside when scoring against Fulham . He was still in the six yard box and only talking to the linesman .

It seemed a very harsh decision , the ball was put square across the box and he tapped it in .

But these are the ways I think we must go .
He was admonished by the ref , for arguing , and cautioned .

The linesman’s decision was final , as it should be , it was and can never be up for debate . And Lanksheer was cautioned as to his future conduct.

It wasn’t debated four hours after the game , disected in minute detail , shown in slow motion .

All the things the media have done , to spoil the game .

And the Governing Bodies have done to allow the media to spoil the game .

And the Footballing associations have done to allow to allow the referees and players to spoil the game .

I don’t care about wrong decisions , they are the ones that even themselves out over years . I care about the competence .

I can only go back to the late great Ken Aston who spoke at a referee dinner I was at back in the day , for the Hampshire Football Association. I have told this story before , on here .
I have never forgotten it .

This was long , long before twenty camera angles or any of the crap paraphernalia that refs have now to “assist “them .

He said he was officiating a Leeds United match , and Billy Bremner was on at him the whole time , moaning about everything .

He said he waited until mid way through the second half , when Bremner launched another tirade against him , when he called Bremner OVER TO HIM .

He said “ I said to him in a quiet orderly voice , …..Mr Bremner , for some reason , you seem to think I am not very good at my job . May I just say to you , that I have lost count of how many poor shots you have had on goal , you have made four very poor tackles that achieved nothing ,your marking at the second goal was abysmal and the amount of passes that have failed to find their targets has been embarrassing . I have watched all this and said absolutely nothing to you about all that.
Do you think we can get on with the game now and leave each other alone . “