The Unai Emery Thread | Page 77 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

I’ve said already he can’t be excused for yesterday as he put that team out but he would’ve done so fully believing these highly paid ‘premier league players’ should have no problem against league 2 opposition, Stevenage did very well and fully deserved it but the game should’ve been put to bed in the first half. He now knows (At least I hope) that the players he has (on the whole) aren’t good enough, the fringe players are fringe players for a reason as they’re not even League 2 standard.

The biggest concern is not having any other options out wide. Gerrard shipped them all out and never replaced them.
Something that will take a while to sort aswell - Emery has already said that it is priority - January window isn’t a great time to sort it either - another of the long line of Gerrard legacies that will need sweeping up

Emery is learning about ’mistakes‘ alright. A year of shambolic management and off field decisions are the only mistakes he is dealing with.

Sooner people get their head around the fact that managers treat cups as second class competitions at this stage of them the better . I don't give a shit what soundbites they come out with. It’s true.

Imagine Martinez getting injured for 10 Premier league games as a result of playing yesterday. We lost Cash and August thingy which goes to show the risks are there.

Emery was right to play Olsen based on the risk of losing Emi1 for the most important competition. . The mistake was Olsen being bought in the first place by that scouse clown and friends.

Last edited:
Emery is learning about ’mistakes‘ alright. A year of shambolic management and off field decisions are the only mistakes he is dealing with.

Sooner people get their head around the fact that managers treat cups as second class competitions at this stage of them the better . I don't give a shit what soundbites they come out with. It’s true.

Imagine Martinez getting injured for 10 Premier league games as a result of playing yesterday. We lost Cash and August thingy which goes to show the risks are there.

Emery was right to play Olsen based on the risk of losing Emi1 for the most important competition. . The mistake was Olsen being bought in the first place by that scouse clown and friends.
Problem I have had is Emery came in and said he wanted to win silverware.. he's overseen 2 losses out of 2 in the knockout cups without giving it the full bollocks. These are the only 2 bits of silverware he has any chance of winning in the medium term.

12 Smith signings - several more being on loan
10 Gerrard signings
Only 1 Bruce signing at the club

Surprised me that 12 Smith signings are still there and shows that we supported Gerrard - Digne, Carlos, Coutinho, Kamara, Dendonker & Olsen all being his.

Just outlines the continuous evolution of the team.

Problem I have had is Emery came in and said he wanted to win silverware.. he's overseen 2 losses out of 2 in the knockout cups without giving it the full bollocks. These are the only 2 bits of silverware he has any chance of winning in the medium term.

Of course he did. Hardly going to say he isn’t here to win silverware. Just like in his presser the week of the game he is going to say he wants to win the competition. It’s all what they think they should say and what they think fans want to hear.

After all this time do people really believe that managers won’t rotate teams at this stage of the competition and therefore basically prioritise the league. We have this conversation every cup competition, under any manager we have .

But here is the thing that everyone seems to forget. How about the manager actually has a real belief that even if he rotates and makes changes that his players should be good enough. And he doesn’t see it as really making a weaker side especially given the opposition and they can give it the full bollox . Full bollox doesn’t have to be the strongest available side. That is exactly what Unai thought and did yesterday. And he wasn’t alone was he because it was pretty much universally accepted after the line ups were announced that they should beat Stevenage.

Of course he did. Hardly going to say he isn’t here to win silverware. Just like in his presser the week of the game he is going to say he wants to win the competition. It’s all what they think they should say and what they think fans want to hear.

After all this time do people really believe that managers won’t rotate teams at this stage of the competition and therefore basically prioritise the league. We have this conversation every cup competition, under any manager we have .

But here is the thing that everyone seems to forget. How about the manager actually has a real belief that even if he rotates and makes changes that his players should be good enough. And he doesn’t see it as really making a weaker side especially given the opposition and they can give it the full bollox . Full bollox doesn’t have to be the strongest available side. That is exactly what Unai thought and did yesterday. And he wasn’t alone was he because it was pretty much universally accepted after the line ups were announced that they should beat Stevenage.
Isn't there a story about him tossing a coin to pick a starting line up once, because he was that confident in the players, and they won. Tbh i don't remember where I even read that or what team it was. Point being, must be nice to actually have faith in a complete squad of players. I guess we are a long way off that.

Let’s not forget, the fixture list is fucked because of the World Cup. I think he looks at the league table and thinks with 2-3 good signings this Jan we have a shot at Europe.

Maybe I’m of a generation that has grown up seeing the cups as secondary but for me they’re a nice to have sort of thing rather than essential.

The league cup and FA Cup is just a nice day out, the likes of Birmingham, Portsmouth, Swansea and Wigan have won them in recent times, when it’s not them it’s the usual suspects, it’s no real platform to build on whereas finishing top 8 in the league consistently is.

Well he had me going more as he's won so many knockout trophies. His belief in squad rotation hasn't worked this time. Maybe too early doors.

Well he had me going more as he's won so many knockout trophies. His belief in squad rotation hasn't worked this time. Maybe too early doors.

In all my time watching villa squad rotation has never worked - and personally I don't think it ever will.
The best villa teams there has been a clear first 11 - with decent players to come in should we get injuries . Right now though we don't have a great first 11 - and rectifying that with some serious big hitters should be the priority - just adding more £15m squad players will only see us bumble along roughly where we are.

We should be aiming for players of the calbre of Wilfred Zaha, and a decent centre forward (Jonathon David ?) - players to make am impact at first team level

Reading reports this morning, Emery was livid with the players and, more importantly, shocked at their general malaise.

So he's finally seen, with his own eyes, what we've all been suffering for years.
A bunch of casual, slack-jawed freeloaders who blessed us with a result against Spurs so expected a week off as a reward and to coast the next two 'easy' games.

Upside is, it seems we finally have someone in place who can stop the rot at the heart of our club and to get rid of anyone who's not up to the job - players or staff.

Let’s not forget, the fixture list is fucked because of the World Cup. I think he looks at the league table and thinks with 2-3 good signings this Jan we have a shot at Europe.

Maybe I’m of a generation that has grown up seeing the cups as secondary but for me they’re a nice to have sort of thing rather than essential.

The league cup and FA Cup is just a nice day out, the likes of Birmingham, Portsmouth, Swansea and Wigan have won them in recent times, when it’s not them it’s the usual suspects, it’s no real platform to build on whereas finishing top 8 in the league consistently is.
So we get into a cup in Europe and then play a weakened side and get knocked out :shake:. All cups are important IMHO and winning breeds a winning mentality - it's a virtuous circle. Unai obviously thought it was a walk in the park and this translated to the players. No good bleating about it after the event.

Not calling for his head or anything just stating what I see in front of me.

Reading reports this morning, Emery was livid with the players and, more importantly, shocked at their general malaise.

So he's finally seen, with his own eyes, what we've all been suffering for years.
A bunch of casual, slack-jawed freeloaders who blessed us with a result against Spurs so expected a week off as a reward and to coast the next two 'easy' games.

Upside is, it seems we finally have someone in place who can stop the rot at the heart of our club and to get rid of anyone who's not up to the job - players or staff.

And the solution?

A £12m 29 year old full back from the Spanish league.......(it's a wonder we hadn't thought of this earlier)

So we get into a cup in Europe and then play a weakened side and get knocked out :shake:. All cups are important IMHO and winning breeds a winning mentality - it's a virtuous circle. Unai obviously thought it was a walk in the park and this translated to the players. No good bleating about it after the event.

Not calling for his head or anything just stating what I see in front of me.

I'm pretty sure the players thought it was a walk in the park as did 99% of the fans and let's be honest it was except we forgot to get 3 up before playing silly balls out from the back and somehow achieved the impossible by losing to a team that was happy to lose 1-0