The transfer window has 'slammed shut', but have Villa missed a trick? | Vital Football

The transfer window has 'slammed shut', but have Villa missed a trick?

Must agree 100% with you JPA, ample cover all over the pitch except in the forward line, we will need our wingers and midfielders to be very active in and around the box in support of Wesley.

Must agree 100% with you JPA, ample cover all over the pitch except in the forward line, we will need our wingers and midfielders to be very active in and around the box in support of Wesley.
Wesley will be a version of Peter Withe, Jack will sniff around like Gary Shaw and Trez or Jota will be Tony Morley - now that is wishful thinking ???

Agree.
Missed a trick. This is a huge risk. No point papering over it with expectations and dreams that midfielders will do this that or the other and reinvent the game by claiming they will make up the short fall in goals. They are not prolific goal scorers hence why they play in midfield and not up

Wesley gets injured or suspended?.
Kodjia or Davis then .....mmmmmm....not convincing at all .
Goals win games and will keep us up.

And I like kodjia but to go into a premier league season this light up front is worrying in my humble .

How do you keep two expensive young strikers happy is probably part of the picture. IMO Wesley will have until Christmas if we are being ruthless.

Said it before, keeping the squad happy, together and competitive will be a key objective.

Really well written piece.

Bit concerned at left back and very concerned up front, but we’ve just got to get behind them.

If we’re rock bottom at Christmas I wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of marquee signings.

Got a horrible feeling we’ll regret missing out on maupay but would love it if he draws a blank at Brighton

I feel the same, i was really happy a week ago but the more i think about it the more i worry. As much as wesley is a good player, he is not scoring more than 10 this season, he is not that kind of player. We NEEDED a striker that will get goals even if we gambled on maupy better to have 2 strikers to gamble on than just wesley.

I am surprised another striker wasn't brought in, thought something might happen today, especially as Hogan was let go out on loan.

It's a risk and a concern, but let's see how it plays out. I hope we don't regret not bringing in Maupay.

Maybe there's a hotshot striker in the academy waiting to step up? Anyone know?

I feel the same, i was really happy a week ago but the more i think about it the more i worry. As much as wesley is a good player, he is not scoring more than 10 this season, he is not that kind of player. We NEEDED a striker that will get goals even if we gambled on maupy better to have 2 strikers to gamble on than just wesley.

Welcome to Vital, Zach :utv:

Not going to worry about something I have no control over. DS and his team are happy with business. We were never going to buy a perfect team in one window. We were never going to win the league this season.

This is a young team with potential and added value. It has been built on a strong defence, a strong keeper. I believe in the management team of professionals running the club, their vision and their ability.

It's easy to say we are weak here or weak there, play FIFA from the comfort of your armchair. This has been 130mil window and people want more - yet they despise the greed league. This window has far exceeded my expectations and I await with nervous apprehension, the fruits of the efforts. Wolves finished 7th scoring 47 goals and playing attractive football.

Not suggesting we will achieve 7th, but I believe we will comfortably survive.

This window has far exceeded my expectations and I await with nervous apprehension, the fruits of the efforts. Wolves finished 7th scoring 47 goals and playing attractive football.

:stupid:

We won't be seeing too many 5-5 or 3-3 draws, so there's no way we will be scoring 80-odd goals like last season.

If we can get 45-50 goals, we'll do just fine as I rate the defence and keeper we have in place so we won't concede nearly as many as last year, even allowing for better quality of opposition.

The problems will arise if Wesley misfires or he or Kodjia get injured. Then we might struggle, even with the capacity for goals from Jack, Conor, SJM and the wingers.

Nope we haven't missed a trick. DS never plays 2 strikers up front, only 1. We have 3 strikers covering that position. In terms of numbers it's enough. That's why a fourth, Hogan, has gone. Last season we went on a record run with mainly just Tammy up front; Kodjia was still recovering his form from a horrendous injury, likewise Davis was still being gently eased back in. During that run Tammy was missing more shots than he was putting in. Yet we won.

This year we have a new striker Wesley with more experience than Tammy. He was bought because the recruitment team thought he was good enough; that's good enough for me. He might still flop, can happen in any team. But I think we have enough elsewhere to make us competitive even if he isn't contributing goals; it might cost us the odd place, not a lot more.

Kodjia is looking good. If Wesley gets injured he can step in. He isn't injury prone; he just had one very nasty one. Davis looks fit and has matured a bit. We'll be OK. Even if all 3 got injured I think DS could find a formation to cope; we have enough good players fighting for places. Under DS players tend to play to their best, because of the system and the training. I think we have a lot of resilience, even up front.

Goals are the new currency and we are short. All this huffing and puffing in the window and not one natural predator purchased. Will cost Smith his his job IMO. Shame, it could have been so, so different

Gotta say I am a bit surprised with what’s gone before that we didn’t get a striker in today , but there’s goals in Jota , sjm , sjg , and Anwar , plus how creative are this lot , they will create and assist also , my worry is Wesley gets crocked and we have to rely on strikers that didn’t really score last season in a league below , that being said , I’d take this rather than be away at Luton on sat , hope and pray that this works out for us , let the journey begin .

Gotta say I am a bit surprised with what’s gone before that we didn’t get a striker in today , but there’s goals in Jota , sjm , sjg , and Anwar , plus how creative are this lot , they will create and assist also , my worry is Wesley gets crocked and we have to rely on strikers that didn’t really score last season in a league below , that being said , I’d take this rather than be away at Luton on sat , hope and pray that this works out for us , let the journey begin .
Don't think Drogba was ever truly prolific, but we'd all have taken him