The Title Race | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Title Race

Over the last few seasons, it's taken around 70 points to come fourth.
We have 46 already and on that basis we would need 24 points out of 15 games to be in with a shout.

Over the last few seasons, it's taken around 70 points to come fourth.
We have 46 already and on that basis we would need 24 points out of 15 games to be in with a shout.
Still not sure Spuds will fall away so I suspect we'll need something like 73-76 points to secure 4th. 30 pts out of 15 games might be asking just slightly too much.

If Spurs fall away I agree 70-71 points will be enough. United would need to get 32 pts out of the final 15 games to hit 70 themselves. It looks highly doubtful they can reach that sort of form playing the way they are. Spurs and ourselves have just as hard a run as each other with both of us needing to play Arsenal, Liverpool and City again.

If we average 1.5 points a game we'll be close then.
I'd rather we went on another unbeaten run of say 10 wins and 5 draws, that would give us 81 points.

We’ve had such a great start to the season, finishing outside the top 5 or dare I say, finishing 5th and then learning it’s only top 4 qualifying for the Champions League would be pretty gutting given our current position. Given that possible scenario I think we really have to target 4th or above. Looking at the table as it stands we surely won’t have a better chance to finish top 4 or higher.
Looking at the fixture list we’ve got a pretty decent run between now and the end of March. United, Fulham, Forest, Luton, Spurs, West Ham and Wolves. Europa games, possible FA cup ties etc could well hamper us with fatigue etc playing a part but if we can eek out a decent points return between now and that Wolves game we are well and truly in the mix for the top 4 or above going into the last 8 games of the season when we’ll then face City, Arsenal and Liverpool with the finishing line in sight. Every game from here onwards is going to be like a cup final, something resting on every single one of them.
Sunday’s game is massive because realistically given the current gap, it’s only really United who could possibly gatecrash the current top 5. Beat them, open up what in effect will be a 12 point lead and that’ll set us up perfectly. Either way, I think we’re in for one hell of a ride between now and mid May! Double dose of blood pressure tablets from here on inwards starting on Sunday!

We’ve had such a great start to the season, finishing outside the top 5 or dare I say, finishing 5th and then learning it’s only top 4 qualifying for the Champions League would be pretty gutting given our current position. Given that possible scenario I think we really have to target 4th or above. Looking at the table as it stands we surely won’t have a better chance to finish top 4 or higher.
Looking at the fixture list we’ve got a pretty decent run between now and the end of March. United, Fulham, Forest, Luton, Spurs, West Ham and Wolves. Europa games, possible FA cup ties etc could well hamper us with fatigue etc playing a part but if we can eek out a decent points return between now and that Wolves game we are well and truly in the mix for the top 4 or above going into the last 8 games of the season when we’ll then face City, Arsenal and Liverpool with the finishing line in sight. Every game from here onwards is going to be like a cup final, something resting on every single one of them.
Sunday’s game is massive because realistically given the current gap, it’s only really United who could possibly gatecrash the current top 5. Beat them, open up what in effect will be a 12 point lead and that’ll set us up perfectly. Either way, I think we’re in for one hell of a ride between now and mid May! Double dose of blood pressure tablets from here on inwards starting on Sunday!
It's a massive contrast to all those seasons , where by at this point we were out of the cups and mid table or worse isn't it ?

Not so straight forward as looking at the fixture list and saying we'll pick up x amount of points over a period. Back in December we thought we'd do well to get 2 points off City and Arsenal then batter Sheffield Utd and Burnley and possibly get a win up at ManU. It all turned out very different.
I dont personally think we'll win it, but it is disrespectful of the media to just completely ignore the fact we're sitting up there with the other 3. We're level on points with Man City FFS. Having said that it probably works out best for us that way, as it keeps the pressure off.
Top 4 would be a miraculous achievement by Unai considering where we were when he took over 15 months ago

we will win som,e games we didn't expect to and also lose some likewise. Injuries / suspensions etc will affect all teams but Ci£y will win it then probably Liverpool . The rest is up for grabs between us Arsenal Spurs and Utd

We're in it until we're not anymore, simple really.

Nobody is expecting us to go down to the wire with the other clubs up there, so there's no pressure at all. If we can't dream anymore, what's the point?

But really it's all about Champions League, who thought we'd be this close so soon? Just imagine strengthening the squad with Champions League football to offer, it's another level. Finishing 4th would be an amazing achievement.

It's a massive contrast to all those seasons , where by at this point we were out of the cups and mid table or worse isn't it ?
Too right, someone was saying over the weekend that we had 13 points after the same number of games in the relegation season….the culmination of several years of dross after O’Neill’s departure! We’re in dreamland now compared to where we were then both on and off the pitch!

It'll be quite galling for them to give us a guard of honour onto the pitch as we'll have it wrapped up by then :smoke:
Pmsl. Can you imagine!.

Klopp leading the applause ( he’s leaving at the end of the season apparently )

The good lord could take me there and then in my seat after watching that and I would be a happy man.