The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 150 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

I reckon most of our business will be done in the last week or so of the window. Price 'stickiness' is probably going to be the big reason. Clubs are still valuing their players based on the pre-COVID world. How else can the likes of Brentford be talking up £20m odd for Watkins and £30m Benrahma despite being a small club who will have been massively impacted by disappearing match day revenues.

It's a case of who blinks first. We've probably got a lot of money to spend but probably don't want to be overpaying, especially given COVID in theory represents a good opportunity to exploit other club's financial weakness.

I reckon most of our business will be done in the last week or so of the window. Price 'stickiness' is probably going to be the big reason. Clubs are still valuing their players based on the pre-COVID world. How else can the likes of Brentford be talking up £20m odd for Watkins and £30m Benrahma despite being a small club who will have been massively impacted by disappearing match day revenues.

It's a case of who blinks first. We've probably got a lot of money to spend but probably don't want to be overpaying, especially given COVID in theory represents a good opportunity to exploit other club's financial weakness.

My sentiments exactly, It happens every year but this year is unusual. Championship clubs will be robbing the best of League one and two for peanuts and we'll be robbing the championship for their Crown jewells but not at 30m.

Apparently, according to Norway's biggest tabloid, we've been knocked back by some Norwegian player that I've never heard of, he chose Galatasaray over us and Shalke. For those that don't know me, I live in Norway and Norway currently has a dreadful national team......so no great loss then and highly unlikely to be true.

It's getting really 'exciting' now.

A couple of days ago, we were preparing a bid for Watkins, now we've stepped it up. We are now 'poised' to make a bid apparently.

Can't wait for Christmas!..............

With the new fixtures out, scanning through the sequence seeing if we have any nightmare run ins, cant help but compare games vs results last season....the the reality kicks in, we really did just survive by skin of teeth.

Sure we played better in the last 9-10 games and the last season should give players that experience... but we need to be better all over the pitch.... and on the sidelines too

New assistant coach to help with tactics and substitutions- check
Develop the youth set up- check
New keeper to replace Reina and challenge/ cover Heaton if not fit - TBC
New defenders to improve on being the second worst defence in the league- TBC
New forwards to improve our goal scoring record- TBC* ("poised" for last 3 weeks to prepare a bid)
New wingers to actually cross the ball to new forwards - TBC
New midfielders to help team defend and also push on and be a better option than Lansbury- TBC
Improve the scouting network to achieve above steps- TBC

Still an awful lot of steps needing completion before we kick off in 3 weeks time
Apart from that------.

According to some reports, we are £7m apart with Brentford on the valuation of Watkins. That's a pretty big gap so I can't see it happening in the next few days.
These chumpionship clubs need to be careful though, Stoke have been holding out for close to £30m for Butland for the last 2 Summers and now with just 1 year left on his contract he's valued around £8m. Maybe they should have taken the reported £20m offers when they came in.

I dont think we need to worry too much about staying up next season (unless we really don't sign any quality). We were the 25th best team in the country going into last season, this season we are the 17th. We're better than West Brom, Leeds and Fulham. I expect Palace to struggle this season, and Newcastle if this ownership debacle continues. I think Sheffield will struggle too losing one of their best players in Henderson and not signing any quality. Two or three quality signings and we should comfortably finish lower mid table. Four or five and who knows?

According to some reports, we are £7m apart with Brentford on the valuation of Watkins. That's a pretty big gap so I can't see it happening in the next few days.
These chumpionship clubs need to be careful though, Stoke have been holding out for close to £30m for Butland for the last 2 Summers and now with just 1 year left on his contract he's valued around £8m. Maybe they should have taken the reported £20m offers when they came in.
They'll be regretting it even more after a couple of months of the new season with an empty stadium.

I dont think we need to worry too much about staying up next season (unless we really don't sign any quality). We were the 25th best team in the country going into last season, this season we are the 17th. We're better than West Brom, Leeds and Fulham. I expect Palace to struggle this season, and Newcastle if this ownership debacle continues. I think Sheffield will struggle too losing one of their best players in Henderson and not signing any quality. Two or three quality signings and we should comfortably finish lower mid table. Four or five and who knows?

If only it was that straight forward. West Ham spent a small fortune last year and were looking to push for a European spot. As we all know they ended up in a relegation battle

I read that Mr Smith is looking for a winger, if so I have a suggestion as to one he might take a look at.
Sassuolo's Italian International right winger/second striker Domenico Berardi is 26, played 31 games in Serie A last season, scored 14 times and had 10 assists. £20 million would get him I think and he'd be a better return than Wilson from Liverpool and cheaper than Benrahma from Brentford.

I read that Mr Smith is looking for a winger, if so I have a suggestion as to one he might take a look at.
Sassuolo's Italian International right winger/second striker Domenico Berardi is 26, played 31 games in Serie A last season, scored 14 times and had 10 assists. £20 million would get him I think and he'd be a better return than Wilson from Liverpool and cheaper than Benrahma from Brentford.

Someone else mentioned him a couple of weeks ago. He's got a good record but I'm sure he's being linked with Juventus and one or two of the other top Italian sides. He appeals more than Benrahma does to me, might be difficult to get him though

Wasn't it widely reported a couple of weeks ago that Watkins had an £18 million release clause?

Was that a load of rubbish?

If he has how can we be £7 million apart and them demanding £25 million? Just trigger the clause already