The Rotherham Low Down | Vital Football

The Rotherham Low Down

PompeyFrippy

Vital 1st Team Regular
OPPONENTS: Rotherham United Football Club
MANAGER: Paul Warne
NICKNAME: The Millers
LEAGUE POSITION: 19th

THE JOURNEY: New York Stadium to Fratton Park - Either 227 miles or 3,500 miles - depending on which New York you start from.

LAST TIME OUT:
* Pompey came from behind to rescue a surprising point at Wigan. Despite being under the cosh for most the game, Conor Chaplin popped up with a crucial equaliser with his first touch to send the Blues home with a point.
* Rotherham lost 2-0 at home to Charlton last week thanks to a goal either side of half time.

POMPEY STATS:
* Portsmouth have received as many red cards (2) in their first 4 games of this season as they did in the entire 2016/17 campaign - however in both instances the opposition had a man sent off prior to this in the match.
* At one point against Wigan last week, Portsmouth had 5 academy players on the pitch. They were Adam May, Ben Close, Jack Whatmough, Conor Chaplin and Brendan Haunstrup, with Ben Close and Jack Whatmough being the only two over 21 years old (both turned 21 in August).
* Conversely, Brett Pitman was the only player who finished the game who was over the age of 25 - with the average of the team 22.3 years.
* Pompey have the lowest amount of shots on target in League One so far this season, mustering just 10 in 4 games, giving them a shots to goals conversion rate of 40%
* Top Scorer: Pitman (3), Chaplin (1)

ROTHERHAM STATS:
* Rotherham have lost 3 of their 4 League One games this season, their only triumph coming in a 5-0 rout of Southend.
* Dating back to last season, the Millers have only won twice in their last 24 games.
* Rotherham had a dismal season in the Championship last year and failed to win any games away from home, with their last victory on the road coming in April 2016 - a run of 27 games without a win.
* The Millers are the most fouled team in League One this season, winning 61 free kicks, an average of over 15 per game.
* Top Scorers: Kieffer Moore (4) Joe Newell/Ryan Williams (1)

HEAD TO HEAD (Courtesy of Pompeyrama.com):
* Pompey currently lead the head to head 11-8, with 10 games finishing level.
* The Blues and the Millers passed like ships in the night during Pompey's descent through the Football League, and never met thanks to Rotherham achieving promotion from the league that Pompey were relegated to.
* This means the last meeting between these two sides came at Fratton Park in April 2003 - and it's a game that has gone down in history. Pompey won the game 3-2 thanks to a Todorov double and a Merson penalty, a result which confirmed Portsmouth as Champions of Division 1 with a game remaining.

PLAYED FOR US/PLAYED FOR THEM/SCUMMER WATCH
* Ryan Williams - You'd be forgiven if this one slipped under the radar, but the Aussie U23 International came through the academy at Pompey and made a handful of first team appearances in the Championship under Steve Cotterill.
* Gareth Evans - Won't be featuring against his old club because of suspension, but spent a season and a half at Rotherham, playing 49 games and netting 9 times.
* Darren Potter - Started his career as a promising prospect at Liverpool, but one loan spell to Southampton later and it's been downhill ever since! He spent 6 years and over 260 games at MK Dons before being signed by Rotherham this Summer.

* Richie Barker - When Barker took over at Pompey he came with plenty of excitement having steered Crawley to promotion, but instead became the shortest reigning manager in Portsmouth's history after getting the sack after just 20 games in League Two.
* Kenny Jackett - Speaking of ill-fated managerial reigns, our own KJ had his managerial record blemished less than a year ago when he took over at the New York Stadium. Rotherham were in freefall at the time and after going winless in his first 5 games he resigned, in doing so becoming the shortest reigning manager in their history. Ironically, this will be Jackett's fifth game in charge of Pompey against the club he only lasted 5 games at.

ONE TO WATCH:
* Jamie Proctor - He scores goals wherever he goes, and boy has he been a lot of places. The lad is only 25, but has played for 10 different Football League clubs in his short career. He's a typical lower league striker, good in the air and can hold the ball up well. The other option was former Arsenal man Oluwasemilogo Adesewo Ibidapo Ajayi, but there were too many vowels for my liking.

PREDICTION:
* Rotherham's away form is dire, 27 games without a win, but 25 of these were at a higher level and their 5-0 win against Southend shows they are capable of playing decent football at this level. With the Sky cameras in town and the transfer window closed players will be out to show what they can do, and I think a 3-1 victory is on the cards, with goals from Bennett, Pitman and Naismith.

NEXT 5 GAMES:
Sat 9th Sep - Wimbledon (A) - League One
Tue 12th Sep - Northampton (A) - League One
Sat 16th Sep - Fleetwood (H) - League One
Sat 23rd Sep - S****horpe (A) - League One
Tue 26th Sep - Bristol Rovers (H) - League One

PUP

Think it's easy to look at a poor away record for Rotherham and assume it'll be a Pompey win - as you point out most of these were during a woeful Championship season.

It's a game I think we could do with winning, the home games are where the Blues should be targeting most point, and if we play to our best we could.

I'll go with a 2-1 win.

The 2017-18 season continues with the latest round of games this weekend, 2nd-3rd September.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584903">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Rotherham's away form is dire, 27 without a win, but 25 of these were at a higher level and their 5-0 win against Southend shows they are capable of playing football at this level.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584933">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

It goes without saying the vast majority within Fratton Park will hope for Pompey to collect all three points... but will that happen? More shortly; first the Blues' MotM at Wigan.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584934">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game between Portsmouth and Rotherham United this Sunday.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584831">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

I think this is already quite an important game for Pompey as I do think we not only need to have a good performance, for 90 minutes, but could also do with the points.

NOT a given either will happen but I'm hopeful - will be interesting to see which of the new additions come straight in? Think O'Keefe and McCrory are near certainties to do so.

Very disappointed with this result, also surprised that KJ didn't give the new guys a bit more time to get to know the other players, Pompey need to get a few goals and points at F.P. very soon I think. :18:

Agree with Lorna, can't believe we expected miracles out of the new guys with a couple of days get together!
Tactics Nieve at best, and to be fair yet again we give a team 45mins head start!! Bloody infuriating.
Atmosphere was crap and summed up a wet day in Pompey and I do think we took this as three pointer without realising in May regardless we were two divisions apart and boy was it obvious, a HUGE wake up call

Disappointed without a doubt....sadly

We've only scored one goal, a penalty, against 11 men in the league. a worrying stat that didn't look all that under threat today. The new guys need to bed in quickly and show us why they were brought here, it's not the end of the world but any momentum we had going into this season has been well and truly put on it's back.

All the stats from Portsmouth (0) vs (1) Rotherham, Fratton Park, 3/9/17 Att: 17,118

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584961">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

The League One season continued with the latest round of games played over the weekend, 2nd-3rd September.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584965">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Sky Sports have selected a Pompey game - during the September international break - as the visit of Rotherham to Fratton Park has been picked up for television treatment.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?582897">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Last Saturday Pompey travelled to face former boss Cook's Wigan. This time round his replacement at Fratton Park, Jackett, will come up against his most recent ex, Rotherham.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584936">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Pompey are at Fratton Park with Rotherham the visitors today, this will be a 2:30pm kick-off.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584937">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Disappointing BUT there's a long way to go this season and Jackett's implementing his changes and bringing in new players - it'll take a bit of time so no panicking yet.

Yes, as said, disappointing to lose but we get over it and move on.

I'm normally positive about Pompey but I can only judge on what I'm seeing and there has been such a lack of encouragement in the performances, so far. If I could see progress and constructive football, the results wouldn't worry me at this stage. But it's been very painful to watch and yesterday in particular reminded me of Pompey under Awford/Whittingham.

The idea of utilising Clarke/Burgess/Whatmough in a back three is a good one, but the system regulars a lot of practice in training in order for it to work. Instead, it looked rushed and players were unsure on their roles. Jamal Lowe is no wing-back and had a very poor afternoon, while there was too big of a gap between the defence and midfield. That wasn't helped by the fact that Pitman was again strangely playing as part of the midfield and was a total passenger.

I think the only real positives to take are that Hawkins showed promise and put himself about. I'm really not pleased with Jackett's style of play that he seems to be implementing which is, put simply, long-ball. But as with the Walsall game when Kabamba came on, at least Hawkins was providing a target and did well in the air when challenging the defenders. Kennedy also livened things up a little when he came on as he was direct and was eager to deliver the ball into the box, but he might be better suited on the right side as it seemed a little too easy to read his intentions.

Not sure why Bennett and Rose didn't make the squad altogether. There have been some odd decisions being made and there has been no consistency at all in team selection or formation. Obviously I'm prepared to give Jackett time but he really does need to find a settled formula if we're going to improve.

The two away games against Wimbledon and Northampton - who have both really struggled so far - will show us exactly where we are. Any less than 3 points from the next two games and I think we might be in more trouble than expected.

PUP.

It was bound to happen at some point but Sunday wasn't the day we wanted Rotherham to get a long overdue win... a first in 27 away games when they beat Pompey 1-0 at Fratton Park.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584966">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

An article from FrattonBlue, looking back at the defeat against Rotherham on Sunday and the season so far under Kenny Jackett - better is expected against Wimbledon and/or Northampton.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584995">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>