The 'Profit & Sustainability' Thread | Page 24 | Vital Football

The 'Profit & Sustainability' Thread

Multiple threads?

:ban:

(not seen the other thread, does go to my constant nagging recently though, we can and should all do better and discussing in the correct threads, so things aren't a) missed b) repeated c) there is no c but just two points in a list seems a bit sterile) d) see point c.

So basically you condescend to the thick and call it something that it isn't and exclude intelligent people like me then? (I was going to misspell intelligent to make it even clearer to others I'm joking, but then, I'd have to explain that is a joke as well and it alllll seems tooooo complicated)

(I was a bit 'really, does it matter' when someone was pulled up about it in the meeting to be honest, seemed the least of our worries)

Woooooooahh there. Hold your horses. :bull:

No one has suggested we spend that much, or risk the club. I think I have been clear in what I've said, you'd have to go a long way to breach the rules in this league. Yes, £500m would be going a long way. Then again, if some bugger had £500m to spend, (come on in chorus everyone)

WE'D JUST PAY THE FINE....!

I don't like it when we agree. It makes me feel uneasy.

As said, they are confident you would have to go a long way to run into trouble in this league, no one would do that, no one has the finances at the club that would be willing to do that, and none of us are calling for that I don't think.

Yup.

:tophat:

Now if you go shave your head, you can almost present yourself as a respectable member of the forum owners team. But shave the beard as well, otherwise you'll simply look like your head is on upside down.

Sorry no idea how to format that given the multi quotes, and I thought I'd already replied earlier today so I'll just take in order matey.

It was an element that validly crossed threads, I can't help that, but yes, I get the possible confusion when anyone has said something and then thinks they've said it in a thread following a similar path. I've fallen for that lately myself - but I'm not that bright!

But no, not condescending...you know that. The easiest way to understanding is to title as people understand. It's P&S but everyone knows it as FFP. I will point out, you got 'all' and 'too' wrong there though (but I'm two lazee to point out it's a joke lol

I'll also not comment on trying to exclude you PMSL I've been trying to get rid of you for two decades!

But yes, looking back I think you were pulling me on the comment that FFP might not be a problem now at our level but it doesn't mean we can sign Ronaldo or whatever. If we are well run under Purslow, what he seems to lack when talking to the press and more quickly heightening expectations - FFP isn't an issue in this league (especially with McP and a couple of others helpfully pointing out my memory of wage restrictions was wrong.

We're still not where we want to be, but we are spending the sums to get us there - the question is whether it's on the right players - but that's a different debate and we both have concerns there, even if I like Cash (still not convinced he was necessary) and Watkins who is definitely an improvement if he adjusts.

Pay the fine yes - but I'd hate us to be the club who ran that gambit and helped bring around tougher punishments ala EFL and QPR etc. But for now, definitely pay the fine.

But I'm not sure where the horses come from?
200w.gif

Focus on the horses - we can hold on to that disagreement!

And more importantly, don't give me grooming advice you solar powered meh machine!

I need my hair (what little is left) to keep me warm in winter and I need my beard to make up for my hair!

Don't be so cruel!

One for you Mike, are we really still this deep in it? And if we are this season why weren’t we last?
Purslows words apparently.

@eltoro

Yes ultimately but we may not have the financial wriggle room of a Burnley from the FFP perspective/Premier League wages they are established we aren't....but we have a higher crowd/sponsorship/PL screening pull which means our revenue exceeds theirs anyway.

So it's smoke and mirrors. Burnley per se have a better 3 yr determination period on debt because they've been PL. But despite 2 yr Championship revenue for us, our revenue base is higher anyway which is what FFP looks at.

The stadium deal sorted the last 3 yr period...this season we roughly spent what the PL gave us on that front so we are roughly break even (minus the minimal Covid losses) but this summers spending is against next seasons (2020/21) PL revenue.

It's a futures game in some ways but a manageable one.

Am I making sense matey? If not, let me know lol

FPP is still a mystery to me. I understand revenue (including wages, transfer fees, player sales, commercial rights) is calculated over the previous two years with a projected figure for the current (coming season),

No, the third year in not projected in anyway it's set in stone in reality. The only wriggle room on that is performance bonuses. Each determination period takes place in March of a season, so you already know the transfer spend for the summer/January - you know your wages of the squad.

The third year is not a guess outside of performance related bonuses and forgive me, but FFP is pointless enough for me to not look that far!

So the final 6 months at best of the period are estimated figures, firmed up at the end of the season, but in reality they won't change much - by March you know if you are within FFP or breach.

Just a way if keeping the already rich clubs at the top. And even if they are caught red handed breaking the rules ala man city they get off without any censure whatsoever. Its a fucking joke.

That wasn't the Man City case. Sorry. That's a Daily Mail headline opinion like bendy bananas and illegal aids ridden immigrants coming onto a benefits system they aren't entitled to and raping the NHS whilst destroying a council house.

Profit and sustainability or FFP (whichever affects PL teams) should at least be scrapped whilst Covid-19 is affecting income at the very least. If anything it's making the Sky 6 even more powerful with their massive sponsorship deals which are probably not affected by what's going on.

Guys like Wes and Nas can underwrite any losses we make. Maybe these super rich owners could give personal guarantees to convince the authorities that they are not going to leave their clubs in the brown stuff.

Guys like Wes and Nas can underwrite any losses we make. Maybe these super rich owners could give personal guarantees to convince the authorities that they are not going to leave their clubs in the brown stuff.

Wes and Nas don't have infinite resources and who knows what other financial pressure they are under, and indeed how much they want to spend.

From actions to date you can guess that they are serious about this club and getting it somewhere. They've gone into it with their eyes open. But I'm not sure that goes beyond making sure we're in a sound financial position. What they've spent so far on putting this club back on its feet is something they seem prepared to do. But I don't think they'll just keep on spending, and its probably a good thing they don't. So I reckon we have to stick within FFP, whatever that is.

Wes and Nas don't have infinite resources and who knows what other financial pressure they are under, and indeed how much they want to spend.

From actions to date you can guess that they are serious about this club and getting it somewhere. They've gone into it with their eyes open. But I'm not sure that goes beyond making sure we're in a sound financial position. What they've spent so far on putting this club back on its feet is something they seem prepared to do. But I don't think they'll just keep on spending, and its probably a good thing they don't. So I reckon we have to stick within FFP, whatever that is.

If we have to stick to FFP then we will never dine at the top table again.

So this requires clubs to declare what they pay their players? Yeah right!! All they now have to do is pay a 'basic' wage per week and pay the rest in 'bonuses' to some off shore tax haven.
Can you see any of these 'dishonest' clubs paying any kind of luxury tax to help the grass roots football. I don't think so.
Until there is a ceiling on transfer spending and wages, then those at the top of the pyramid will continue to enlarge the gap between themselves and the also rans.