The Positive Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

The Positive Thread

I'd love to be more positive about the NHS. The Mrs getting her eyes sorted would be a good start over 7 months on and 3 different clinics/ hospital later. We actually got as far as her sitting in the waiting area for her op for 2 hours last Tuesday, a big improvement on it being cancelled at 24 hours notice like the time before. The problem is the microscope supposedly broke down and we were sent home with a consoling pat on the back and a promise of a rapid new appointment. So close but yet so far eh? The letter's arrived today and her new rapid appointment will be the end of April. That fooks up our holiday now but hey we mustn't grumble. If it get's done then, something that we were promised would be sorted within 6 weeks will only have taken 9 months.
Fingers crossed for your lass Gray mi owd pal.I had similar problems wi mi Heart op a couple of years ago at NGH,cancelled 5 times(twice on the mornin i was supposed to be havin the op) but it got done eventually and it defo improved mi health.Were you goin abroad for your holiday? UTB

I'd love to be more positive about the NHS. The Mrs getting her eyes sorted would be a good start over 7 months on and 3 different clinics/ hospital later. We actually got as far as her sitting in the waiting area for her op for 2 hours last Tuesday, a big improvement on it being cancelled at 24 hours notice like the time before. The problem is the microscope supposedly broke down and we were sent home with a consoling pat on the back and a promise of a rapid new appointment. So close but yet so far eh? The letter's arrived today and her new rapid appointment will be the end of April. That fooks up our holiday now but hey we mustn't grumble. If it get's done then, something that we were promised would be sorted within 6 weeks will only have taken 9 months.
I’ll bang a pan outside my front gate and give them all 20% discount, if that would help..?

If I had to spend any amount of time in and around hospitals, some more than others, I can't imagine how angry it would make me. You can guess why. It's a seriously big incentive to maintain my health and avoid any accidents.

I’ll bang a pan outside my front gate and give them all 20% discount, if that would help..?

My lad had a Doc's appointment this week. He was phoned the night before to ask him if he could come in an hour early so he rearranged his work and did so. When he got there he was told that they were running an hour late. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My nephew also had a Docs appointment this week. He was told they needed to check his blood pressure but unfortunately the only machines they'd got available on the day were for barometric use. He asked if he should come back and was told 'No, go to your chemist, they'll do it and then phone the results through to us'. It's like they're deliberately trying to piss people off.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for your lass Gray mi owd pal.I had similar problems wi mi Heart op a couple of years ago at NGH,cancelled 5 times(twice on the mornin i was supposed to be havin the op) but it got done eventually and it defo improved mi health.Were you goin abroad for your holiday? UTB

No mate, just our usual early season trip to the north of God's own county. We'd booked it later this year just in case thinking it would give her more than enough time for her eyes to be sorted but it turns out we were wrong.

My lad had a Doc's appointment this week. He was phoned the night before to ask him if he could come in an hour early so he rearranged his work and did so. When he got there he was told that they were running an hour late. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My nephew also had a Docs appointment this week. He was told they needed to check his blood pressure but unfortunately the only machines they'd got available on the day were for barometric use. He asked if he should come back and was told 'No, go to your chemist, they'll do it and then phone the results through to us'. It's like they're deliberately trying to piss people off.
Chemists are increasingly part of the front line.Fortunately they have a retail business to run and are much more entrepreneurial than anyone ever employed in the NHS.

Just as the world needs re-calibrating so does the sainted view of the NHS.As we are all finding it's massively inefficient, a bureaucratic nightmare that needs modernising and streamlining.

I always ask for the 1st appointment of the day when I go for my eye check up so that emergencies/delays have little effect.However, even that fails and I observed closely how they work to see why I was waiting for long and others , with later appointments, were going in to the consultant before me.
The problem was obvious-
you check in with the receptionist
they take your file to the table outsiide the consultant's room
he come is about 9.30 so drops go in about 9.00
Later appointments come along in the meantime
The receptionist takes their file and PUTS IT ON TOP of the files already there
Consultant arrives, picks up FIRST (top) file he sees and you're left waiting while he works through the pile!

I've pointed this out to them many times but they don't grasp the problem so I sit by the table and tell them I was first so move my file to the top every time they come along with another one.

If they can't even get that right it's going to be a long haul to modernise, computerise and stream line services.
That's apart from the increasing age across the population, the increasing life expectancy, the increasing demand and cost for more drugs and operations and the very fact that there's less people paying into the kitty than there is needing their services.

When I have had eye treatments it's normally contrcated out to private service and has been very efficient so it seems your good lady has been more than unlucky.

Chemists are increasingly part of the front line.Fortunately they have a retail business to run and are much more entrepreneurial than anyone ever employed in the NHS.

Just as the world needs re-calibrating so does the sainted view of the NHS.As we are all finding it's massively inefficient, a bureaucratic nightmare that needs modernising and streamlining.

I always ask for the 1st appointment of the day when I go for my eye check up so that emergencies/delays have little effect.However, even that fails and I observed closely how they work to see why I was waiting for long and others , with later appointments, were going in to the consultant before me.
The problem was obvious-
you check in with the receptionist
they take your file to the table outsiide the consultant's room
he come is about 9.30 so drops go in about 9.00
Later appointments come along in the meantime
The receptionist takes their file and PUTS IT ON TOP of the files already there
Consultant arrives, picks up FIRST (top) file he sees and you're left waiting while he works through the pile!

I've pointed this out to them many times but they don't grasp the problem so I sit by the table and tell them I was first so move my file to the top every time they come along with another one.

If they can't even get that right it's going to be a long haul to modernise, computerise and stream line services.
That's apart from the increasing age across the population, the increasing life expectancy, the increasing demand and cost for more drugs and operations and the very fact that there's less people paying into the kitty than there is needing their services.

When I have had eye treatments it's normally contrcated out to private service and has been very efficient so it seems your good lady has been more than unlucky.
I don't think for one minute we'd have had an issue if we'd payed and gone private at the very same clinics TT. It seems that the fact that it's been done under the NHS umbrella immediately downgrades your standard of service now. One was like an airport where there was completely different staff and areas for private patients. I'd have said feck it and paid TBH but the Mrs is of a mind that so many people we know have had it done on the NHS, some absolutely loaded so why shouldn't she? I do take her point.
By the way I don't believe for one minute the machine broke down. They were running 2 hours late and looking twitchy but post op patients were still coming out. I reckon they decided to take a group out of the equation to get back on time. Meanwhile she's been pushed to the back of the queue yet again. A friend of hers was initially referred a month later and she was fully up and running by Christmas.

Last edited:
I don't think for one minute we'd have had an issue if we'd payed and gone private at the very same clinics TT. It seems that the fact that it's been done under the NHS umbrella immediately downgrades your standard of service now. One was like an airport where there was completely different staff and areas for private patients. I'd have said feck it and paid TBH but the Mrs is of a mind that so many people we know have had it done on the NHS, some absolutely loaded so why should we? I do take her point.
By the way I don't believe for one minute the machine broke down. They were running 2 hours late and looking twitchy but post op patients were still coming out. I reckon they decided to take a group out of the equation to get back on time. Meanwhile she's been pushed to the back of the queue yet again. A friend of hers was initially referred a month later and she was fully up and running by Christmas.
I fully appreciate you not paying as it should just be a routine, part of normal day to day treatment routine. Sounds likely that they used an excuse as they were behind on the day's list.
I found that establishing a relationship with the appointments supervisor or whatever they are called helps.Have you contacted them to say that you are happy to take any cancellations that come along at any time?
That's worked for me before and, if I haven't had a check up for a while I call and say I'm free at any time in the next week if that helps them.
Might be worth a try if you have that flexibility.

I fully appreciate you not paying as it should just be a routine, part of normal day to day treatment routine. Sounds likely that they used an excuse as they were behind on the day's list.
I found that establishing a relationship with the appointments supervisor or whatever they are called helps.Have you contacted them to say that you are happy to take any cancellations that come along at any time?
That's worked for me before and, if I haven't had a check up for a while I call and say I'm free at any time in the next week if that helps them.
Cheers TT, we did do that with the second clinic and she was booked in pretty quickly but that was pulled the day before due to a Derbyshire county council funding issue. She's got herself psyched up for it 3 times and seems a bit twitchy about really short notice now but I'll give them a call next week and tell them we'll be up for a cancellation provided they can give her a few days. (y)

I have my rota and hol weeks at the ready when I phone and like yourself TT I go for the earliest available so you’re in and out I had one in Jan where I had to take an afternoon appointment it was 50 mins late 🤷‍♂️

The funniest thing (well sardonically), is that on each of her op booking letters, there is a not so veiled threat stipulating that should she cancel the op twice, she could be removed from the waiting list and her doctor informed. You couldn't make it up! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Havin watched England play Brazil & some of the Belgium game the big positive for me was Mainoo lookin so good when he came on v Brazil and startin the Belgium game.He looks a real prospect to me.I really like Bellingham as a player,he's obviously a top talent but i was a bit disappointed with Foden in the 2 games,tho i do think he's also a top player.We looked very average at the back in both games in my opinion. UTB

Havin watched England play Brazil & some of the Belgium game the big positive for me was Mainoo lookin so good when he came on v Brazil and startin the Belgium game.He looks a real prospect to me.I really like Bellingham as a player,he's obviously a top talent but i was a bit disappointed with Foden in the 2 games,tho i do think he's also a top player.We looked very average at the back in both games in my opinion. UTB
We were down to the bare bones at the back though yesterday Rod, Bellingham could well be our best midfielder this century if he can keep his head right. A fantastic talent.