The Politics Thread | Page 41 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

So, the government is changing all the constituency boundaries to give each voter an equal say and reduce the number (and therefore cost) of MPs.

Or are they trying to guarantee a much larger majority (by getting rid of a large number of Labour seats and absorbing them into neighbouring Tory constituencies)? Not to mention helping pay for the 233 new Lords created under David Cameron.

It will all get sorted just in time for the 2020 election, as luck would have it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37344525

Hmmm, I wonder JPA... doing it for good reasons or not.... Politicians... :69:

:23:

lol

Still, they need not worry really,not if (and looks like he will) Corbyn remains in charge of his protest party.

Perhaps this is the real reason Cameron has gone. His seat is being swallowed up :17: I wish it was him who was being

Real reason Cameron has quit is fairly obvious. Didn't want to become Ted Heath Part II (and no, I don't mean THOSE allegations)...

Heath was defeated for the leadership in 1975 and clung on to a seat until 2001, having a 26-year-long sulk.

Then again, historically it wasn't that unusual for former PMs to serve in future cabinets, though the most recent was Douglas-Home when he served as Foreign Sec under Heath in 1970.

As for sitting MPs "losing" their seats if these boundary changes happen...you'd be surprised how easily other MPs in safe seats will step aside in the favour in exchange for a peerage or knighthood!

Anyone see the Question Time special between Owen and Corbyn last week?

Oh dear oh dear oh dear...!

Yes I think is about all I can say JF! Oh dear is as polite as it can get really. Bunch of amateurs

MP's moaning about the constituency changes saying it's not fair on the electorate. Obviously nothing to do with the fact they'll lose the highly paid expense galore lifestyle. I'd cut them further 600 MP's and the majority do sod all.

I'd have thought they could operate perfectly well with 400 and slash the house of lords as well.

The Fear - 14/9/2016 04:47I'd have thought they could operate perfectly well with 400 and slash the house of lords as well.

You're doing better than we are in Ireland. We have 158 for a population of 4.6 million.
Based on the UK population, you'd have over 2,000. :10:
Oh, and we have a Senate of 60 members as well.
I think we're a tiny bit over-represented.

India go for the other extreme...

1.3billion people, 790 MPs - so about 1.6million each.

Extrapolated, that'd give the UK about 38 MPs. Sorted.

The Real Neil - 14/9/2016 09:54

India go for the other extreme...

1.3billion people, 790 MPs - so about 1.6million each.

Extrapolated, that'd give the UK about 38 MPs. Sorted.

We'd have three - that's probably too many!

One UKIP er has defected to the Tories, first of many one would think.

Surely a totally irrelevant party now?

Neil Hamilton moaning because he's been removed from the agenda for an upcoming meeting. The bloke is a total fool as is his wife. Any party with them in has to be viewed as a joke surely? Although people in Wales didn't think so. Most strange.

And a new leader for them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37387162

The two programmes I've watched on Labour.. Despatches and Panarama, really do show what a mess Labour are in. It's like the the people's judean front and Judean's People Front ... only Python were hilarious and funny, some of these groups pouring into Labour are far from funny.

The left ain't arf an angry lot when they get going, you always think of just the far right being this angry don't you?

I don't really get why the likes of Momentum, the Communist, The Marxist and the Corbyns of the world need to infiltrate and use Labour, if they are so sure of their stance then form your own party

SPLITTER!!!!

[youtube=WboggjN_G-4]

I don't live in the UK any more but the Conservative Party is starting to scare me, largely because of the incompetence of much of its leadership, vividly on display at their conference in Brum.
It's nicely summed up in this opinion piece.

Right then. Get on with the job. That’s the May way. Get the Brexit thing over and done with on day one and then onward to the domestic stuff that no one’s voted for. In that sense, the four day Tory conference of 2016 will be a microcosm of the four year May administration. Rush through Brexit in as quick and kamikaze a fashion as possible, then save the electoral day with some guaranteed Ukip-friendly vote winners. Test the water with grammar schools, ramp it up with a bit of pledging to spend the international aid budget on repatriating prisoners (a genuine policy announcement on Sunday from Priti Patel). The election's not for four years. Don't imagine chemical castration for paediatricians is off the table.
Out they all came, on the stage in Birmingham, one by glorious one. May, Davis, Johnson, Fox. Not Liam Fox of course, that would be too risky, but as fortune would have it the MEP for Gibraltar is called Ashley Fox so they wheeled him out instead.
(Liam Fox is on Monday, by the way. What a pity the Tories don’t bother with any lefty Labour and Lib Dem nonsense like an on-stage signer for the deaf. They could have saved time by deploying a Number 10 Press officer to stand stage left live-denying his every word in semaphore.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/welcome-to-global-britain-an-arc-of-stupidity-bending-all-the-way-from-trump-tower-to-north-korea-a7341996.html