The Politics Thread | Page 39 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Agreed Neil, within this thread somewhere I've said the same.

Tax
NHS
Pensions

All need reforming. No one party will dare to do anything other than tinker because they could lose votes for several generations if they did.

I'd rip the whole system up and start again.

Tax is just odd when you think about it.

Many people think "Road Tax" is ring fenced for road repairs and building. Hasn't been since the 30s!

And what logic is there in having more than one rate of income tax? Making it flat surely makes sense so people just pay a proportion of earnings?

Reason why I'd roll NI into income tax, well one reason, is because it grates when people say "I've paid into the system, I should get it back" where in reality it's not as though everyone has a personal pot for NHS and pensions. My girls cost the NHS about £600k in their first year, unlikely I'll ever pay anywhere near that in NI...and I assume there will be no state pension when I'm 70 or whatever.

But you're right. No Party will tackle it as no Party will ever do "the right thing" at the cost of losing voted for years.

Heck, let me be controversial. What is fairer, the "poll tax" or council tax? Council tax is per property, so a family of seven pay the same as a family of two, assuming same band etc. That's ludicrous.

One policy the Lib Dems had, which I basically see the logic in, is having a local income tax replacing council tax.

And back to "road tax" - if a penny was stuck on every litre of fuel for road repairs and building, we'd have the best roads in the world!

Neil, I feel that your talents are wasted in England.

With your support for flat taxes and privatised health care, you could go far in the Republican Party. They might even parachute you in instead of Trump if you can get over there fast enough.

There is no such thing as Road Tax, hence the apostrophes, I assume, Neil? It's a Vehicle excise Duty.

In terms of getting anything changed, the 5 year term just scuppers any chance of that. Any measures taken for the long term usually come with short term downsides. Looking to get re-elected, any Government wouldn't risk such action.

Maybe things like the NHS should be taken away from Party Politics, and held under a separate trust, with a clear, long term goal set? I suggested an extra 2% on Income Tax, with all of it going to the NHS, some time back. Short term pain, for long term gain?

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 15/7/2016 21:48

There is no such thing as Road Tax, hence the apostrophes, I assume, Neil? It's a Vehicle excise Duty.

Which is my point, I know that and you know that but many people assume Road Tax exists. Obviously it hasn't for almost a century.

And BB, I'm no righty Republican, more a socially liberal libertarian who prefers less state control and more personal freedom with the caveat those in real need deserve the state backing them.

Thing is, without wishing to blow smoke up my own arse, while everyone has views on politics, which is great, I actually do it.

I see Andrea Leadsom made other gaffs last weekend. I do hope she learns to keep her mouth shut else she will find herself with not many friends and out of a job. Oh dear at the latest. The woman really is naive and stupid. Watch out climate change Andrea about.

................................................................................

Andrea Leadsom Says It Is 'Sensible' Not To Let Men Look After Children As They May Be Paedophiles

..................................................................................

Andrea Leadsom has said it would be “sensible” for parents not to employ a male nanny to look after their children because he could be a paedophile.

The former Tory leadership candidate, who was yesterday appointed environment secretary by Theresa May, made the comment during the infamous Times interview which is credited with sinking her leadership ambitions.

Cont: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/andrea-leadsom-says-it-is-sensible-not-to-let-men-look-after-children-as-they-may-be-paedophiles/ar-BBumzHh?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

She had a very bad weekend didn't she! Probably why she is in the nothing job of environment.

once again she proves herself to be at best naive and at worst just plain bloody horrible!

The Fear - 16/7/2016 19:21

once again she proves herself to be at best naive and at worst just plain bloody horrible!

I mean (and just to clarify I am being sarcastic) why doesn't she want all Dad's banned from spending time with their children on their own, just incase you know they are paedophiles FFS! Absolutely ludicrous. The woman gives all of us who are of faith a bad name

I think she must be Boris Johnson in disguise or a relative

Yep, still lying, what's that Dave? No matter what the result of the Euro vote you'll stay as PM? Errr Dave, DAVE!!!!

Boris, Boris! Seriously! He's what? No! Surely not :21:

TM PM's first session, well people, how many disabled and unemployed do we have to fcuk up to pay for Trident?

Indeed, I expect this to be a busy thread. Their politics are so unpalatable to the public that a lot of lying is necessary to make them electable. Of course, they wouldn't be electable if Labour could sort themselves out but that looks unlikely in the near term.

I am completely cynical about anything they say or do , on both sides.

Not a good starting point when you want to be convinced on particular points.

1st PM q's with May

Single biggest asset for the Tories seems to be Corbyn really!

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/theresa-may/?_ga=1.178600228.1612978249.1369991117

[youtube=lc5YfSWuhWA]

It's tremendously depressing that a principled man such as Corbyn is being so widely ridiculed, with the disgraceful media witch hunt putting more and more nails into his coffin every day.

If parliament were populated by more politicians who have the courage of their convictions, and actually stick to what they say and believe in instead of misleading, u-turning and telling people what they think they want to hear, maybe society would be better off.

I was starting to re-engage in politics, but the appalling referendum campaigning, the outright lies, and the systematic character assassination of people like Jeremy Corbyn just makes me sick.

Not sure I buy his principles to be honest JPA

not part of the peace process but pictured numerous times with Jerry Adams and his lot.

And John McDonald, the leader of the Tories in Scotland ripped into him on Peston on Sunday a few weeks back for walking by our troops to go straight to IRA

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11924431/Revealed-Jeremy-Corbyn-and-John-McDonnells-close-IRA-links.html

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/defence/news/76074/ruth-davidson-accuses-john-mcdonnell-‘wanting-ira-win’

Wolf in sheeps clothing I think, also on stage with Hezbollah and Hamas etc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/01/jeremy-corbyn-under-pressure-to-denounce-friends-hamas-and-hezbo/

I just don't think he's what this country needs as an opposition leader, in fact he's ripped that party in half with Momentum working so hard now to re-join to keep him in as leader.

The Tories also will hope he remains as well, I'm sure, because if he does they'll win the next election surely without a doubt?

Fair enough. But at least he was trying to engage with the IRA, unlike our pathetic Tory government of the 1980s who did it all through back channels.

It's notable that the links you've posted are to articles from right-wing media, the very ones looking to discredit him since day one. I'm not saying he is the right man to lead Labour, but he is definitely where Labour should be politically, ie on the left, rather than the Tory-lite version we ended up with under Blair and Miliband, and where the parliamentary party want to take them by getting rid of Corbyn.

I just think the whole thing stinks, and doesn't motivate me to engage fully in our politics when a leader elected by an overwhelming majority of party members is under threat from a handful of MPs.

It's ridiculous that his challenger is someone who nobody has ever heard of, and telling that none of the big names in the party (Chukka Umunna or Hilary Benn for instance) are nowhere to be seen, but many of them are quite happy to put the boot in. Unfortunately, the electorate sent a very clear message to the Labour party at the last election, especially in Scotland and Wales, but they don't seem to be listening to it.

Desperate times for Labour, and the country as a whole, as without an effective opposition as mentioned elsewhere, the Tories have free rein and will win the next election with ease, and a far more substantial majority you would think.

He wasn't part of the peace process, John Major (right) Blair (further right :3: ... or left if you believe others) were.

This guy, something not right about him or how he is behaving in the party. It isn't the right wing press (I don't know my left from right with press, I form my opinions as far away from what they dictate as I can) it is his own left party who have sussed him.

A protest politician yes, a leader? Not a chance. He proved that during the EU stuff.

Well his efforts in the EU campaign were widely ignored by the press, but he made far more appearances than Angela Eagle, to pluck a name at random.

And I get that he wasn't involved in the peace process, but at least he doesn't try and hide who he is and what he has said and done in the distant past unlike plenty of others.

Don't get me wrong, I am not particularly a fan of his, but he was elected with the largest mandate of any political leader in Europe less than a year ago, and I just think it's a very dangerous time when a parliamentary party can go against the will of a huge number of their grassroots party members.

He's quite right to stay in post and contest the leadership election, otherwise it would be nothing less than a coup. Having said that, he won't win a general election for Labour - his face doesn't fit, and the media will see to it that he doesn't get a fair chance - so it would be best all round if he were to step aside, arguably for the 'greater good'.

The Fear - 21/7/2016 16:11

He wasn't part of the peace process, John Major (right) Blair (further right :3: ... or left if you believe others) were.

This guy, something not right about him or how he is behaving in the party. It isn't the right wing press (I don't know my left from right with press, I form my opinions as far away from what they dictate as I can) it is his own left party who have sussed him.

A protest politician yes, a leader? Not a chance. He proved that during the EU stuff.

He's a conviction politician.
So was Margaret Thatcher.
Just sayin'...