The Philippe Coutinho Thread | Page 54 | Vital Football

The Philippe Coutinho Thread

Starting to really look like a disastrous signing and you can see why Barcelona wanted him off the books at any cost.

I still think there's a player in there. At times when he came in we saw it, confidence was high for him still at that point and players were offering triangles. There was a pass and move option. I honestly cant remember the last time I saw us offer up a passing triangle.

I expect he could do well in the middle of a three behind a striker but he's not providing any running where he is right now. Maybe he's just depressed at seeing such crap.

His best years are behind him, otherwise he'd still be at Barcelona (or better).

But irrespective of that, he's been a major disappointment. Whether that's because Gerrard (and his extremely limited ability as a coach) can't get a tune out of him, or whether Coutinho himself doesn't give a shit, I don't know.

He's only 30, so has a good 3-4 years to go (at least). If he could reinvent himself as a 'quarterback' style playmaker, he might be of use to us.

But as things stand, it's actually quite sad to watch his decline before our very eyes, hastened no doubt by the shambolic coaching he's being subjected to.

I don't think he's finished but it's clear that we'll never see whatever his best is nowadays with Gerrard at the helm. Like everyone at the club he's worse now than the day he started working under Gerrard.

I still believe a talented manager could find a way of using him properly rather than just "give him the ball 40 yards from goal and hope something happens"

I still think there's a player in there. At times when he came in we saw it, confidence was high for him still at that point and players were offering triangles. There was a pass and move option. I honestly cant remember the last time I saw us offer up a passing triangle.
They couldn't even offer up a Dairylea cheese triangle as they've been banned from the canteen along with mayonnaise etc

I don't think he's finished but it's clear that we'll never see whatever his best is nowadays with Gerrard at the helm. Like everyone at the club he's worse now than the day he started working under Gerrard.

I still believe a talented manager could find a way of using him properly rather than just "give him the ball 40 yards from goal and hope something happens"
"Give it Phil and stand still"

I've said this in a few other threads but he seems to be suffering with too many miles on the clock having started his first team career some 13 odd years ago, he no longer appears to have the legs for this level anymore, at least certainly for the advanced positions he has been deployed in.

For him to have much of a top flight future he needs to be redeployed, perhaps as a more deep lying play maker type. Other than that, MLS beckons.

Yep same as Rooney just burnt out at 30, some players are and some are Ashley Young and Ronaldo still going but in fairness not many 37 years olds still in the top flight just as there's not many 18 year olds

Same, whether thats just pure fantasy or optimism I don't know. Some players definitely have better natural fitness. He has probably played more than the average however he hasn't played too many games for his age IMO. Whats more likely is the injuries which is similar to Ings.

Both of those lads should probably be just limited to sub appearances and sold at the first opportunity.

His best years are behind him, otherwise he'd still be at Barcelona (or better).

But irrespective of that, he's been a major disappointment. Whether that's because Gerrard (and his extremely limited ability as a coach) can't get a tune out of him, or whether Coutinho himself doesn't give a shit, I don't know.

He's only 30, so has a good 3-4 years to go (at least). If he could reinvent himself as a 'quarterback' style playmaker, he might be of use to us.

But as things stand, it's actually quite sad to watch his decline before our very eyes, hastened no doubt by the shambolic coaching he's being subjected to.
Coutinho has done absolutely nothing of note since he last played for the dippers in Dec 2017. He was a panic buy by Barca and completely failed there. So we are talking nearly 5 years since he has been on his game - Gerard clutching at straws.

We’ve been sold a right pup. His legs can’t cover the ground and more importantly he lost his motivation and will to win a long time ago, well before he arrived here.

He’s come to Villa for one thing and one thing only - a final payday and to top up his pension.

Massive disappointment from a signing I championed . Of course he is in the middle of the worse managerial tenure in our premier league history. However., apparently he only signed because of the SG factor.and if that's the case we may as well get rid at the same time SG goes. I'd have to take getting shot of PC of it meant YTS had gone.

Last edited:
Massive disappointment from a signing I championed . Of course he is in the middle of the worse manager tenure in our premier league history. However., apparently he only signed because of the SG factor.and if that's the case we may as well get rid at the same time SG goes. I'd take getting shot of PC of it meant YTS goes.

The writing was on the wall as history told us he was an impact sub at Barca and Bayern and now e know why, we've all seen he can't run.
That however does not explain why he did so well first 10 games and then gave up and still got signed permanently. I think he was signed to make a statement and stop the meltdown if he'd gone to Newcastle or somewhere.
Very disappointed with him is an understatement but he is a 17m player now

The writing was on the wall as history told us he was an impact sub at Barca and Bayern and now e know why, we've all seen he can't run.
That however does not explain why he did so well first 10 games and then gave up and still got signed permanently. I think he was signed to make a statement and stop the meltdown if he'd gone to Newcastle or somewhere.

I'm fairly certain that the reason he did so well in his first 10 games or so then dropped off a cliff is the same reason Digne looked like the first choice LB for the current world champions for part of last season but looks like a French Matt Targett this season and the same reason why the team looked better in Gerrards first couple of months then fell away to what we see now.

The Gerrard effect kicked in. This bloke could turn Pele into Wesley I'm certain. Kamara and Carlos got injured before he could do the same to them and hopefully we'll have a proper manager by the time they're back fit.

If he'd joined any other PL club the meltdown on here would have been unbearable. Probably by some of the same who are now complaining we signed him. Personally I'd still keep hold of him to see if the next manager can get more consistency out of him, but it is telling that he has hardly ever played a full 90 minutes for us.

If he'd joined any other PL club the meltdown on here would have been unbearable. Probably by some of the same who are now complaining we signed him. Personally I'd still keep hold of him to see if the next manager can get more consistency out of him, but it is telling that he has hardly ever played a full 90 minutes for us.

My fear is that if his best buddy Stevie Gee can't get a tune out of him the next manager has no chance.
Hes a very influential member of the squad and if others see him, looking like he's not bothered they will start to fall in line. Which looks like its happening, SJM looks like he can't be arsed and he's captain