The perfect storm. | Vital Football

The perfect storm.

billytwodogs

Vital Squad Member
We seem to have hit the perfect storm.
An owner who, appears, can no longer invest in the club and is losing interest.

A manager, who by his own admittance, cannot manage the behaviours of [some] players.

Players who are unable, or unwilling, to follow basic instructions.

Definitely the worst set up I can remember. Askey is out of ideas, Raj is out of money and the players are out of control, at least there appears to be an element of insubordination.

As the owner Raj’s hands are tied financially, I’m not defending him as it’s his own doing sacking people left right & centre without thinking of consequence.

Askey is out of his depth here, football is a niche profession, sometimes you fall lucky and sometimes you struggle. Personally I think Askey’s previous good performances have been down to good luck rather than good management.

The players, with their accumulated experience should have enough about them to perform adequately in this league. The unprofessional way in which some of them are conducting themselves will see them exactly that…unprofessional, plying their trade part-time.

Quoted it before, players get managers sacked however Askey is definitely not helping his cause.
Outside looking in looks like very few want to be here [in this present set up], Raj, Askey or certain players, something has to change otherwise we’re heading for a s#it storm of biblical proportions. It will no doubt be the cheapest option, we limp along and finish just above the drop zone or we go to the wall, either way we should live to fight another day in whatever guise.
Happy New Years :red:

"Players who are unable, or unwilling, to follow basic instructions."
I'm guessing you mean, amongst other things, unable or unwilling to consistently pass the ball to members of their own team.

I hadn't heard about the 'behaviour' issues but if it's the case, as you suggest billy, that the players could play better but aren't doing then I hope karma comes round to bite their future careers.

Askey continually referring to ‘they're not doing what we ask them to’ in his post match interview suggests certain players are unable to comprehend, interpret or are unwilling to carry out, his instructions.
Once they cross the white line and all that!

The behaviours are those which constitute a professional football player, teamwork [which may well be choosing not to pass to a team mate] hard-work, resilience etc.

20 games remaining, after Oldham, it’s hardly game over.
:red:

I agree with what you're saying. I was meaning that passing the ball to the other team on a regular basis (which happened a fair number of times in the last match, among others) isn't even about basic instruction is it? It's not exactly rule no 1 in the how- to- train footballers manual. You hope that even rookie footballers go out of their way not to do that without being told!

Anyway, yes the game is hardly over especially now that Mancini has returned. But I do agree with what OP said previously that one gets to the point where it seems not a good use of time just watching the team playing badly year after year, scrabbling to avoid relegation.

When I posted on 12 November, I was adamant that I wouldn't post again! But, with the current dire situation I feel it is necessary to have, yet another, final say.
As Billy2 alludes to, it would seem obvious that Askey has "lost the dressing room" and is incapable of organising and motivating his "squad ". On which basis, Mr Singh's only course is to put him and Goodlad on "gardening leave"; and appoint one, or two, of the senior pros in charge of team affairs. (A low cost option) They can't do any worse!
Perhaps, this might expedite a return to fitness of some of those missing with long term injuries?

I don't know if there's scope for player recruitment, or indeed who does the recruitment, but it is necessary if Pools are to avoid collapsing into NLN to bring in some "quality " reinforcements PDQ!
At the Transfer window last January mistakes were made and, for the most part, recruitment was poor and desperate, whilst those near us (Gillingham and Crawley) made positive season saving signings. Pools can't make the same errors again.

Suppose January will answer some questions. It should at least be interesting.
Those we play are below us in the league table however all are above us in the current form table, where we really have bottomed out. We will be spending the month in the company of similar quality.

We can all speculate on how we think it might pan out, reality is it’s down to those who take to the pitch, their willingness to work hard and how resilient they are in the light of recent performances and events.
:red:

Will Raj be selecting the team at the weekend? Surely, if a temporary appointment from within was to be made an announcement would have been forthcoming by now!

Did JA request funds for squad strengthening, only to be denied, precipitate his dismissal?

Pools have, at least, 3 what can be seen as "six pointer" matches in January and as usual the Club is in complete disarray. I'm genuinely of the opinion that 2024 will see the end of Pools in its current guise.