The Oxford Low Down | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Oxford Low Down

No, I am not referring about the disallowed Brett Pitman goal, which went against Pompey. As Kenny Jackett conceded, too many wrong decisions from the Blues proved costly at Oxford.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584125">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

It's tough to know what's what in the opening weeks of the season BUT I don't think we can afford to go out of August without further strengthening the squad.

I'd love to see May and Close given a chance but I think we need a physical and experienced central midfielder coming in without a doubt.

An 'emergency loan' can be done with a goalkeeper but perhaps an experienced option to cover McGee and challenge him with Bass sent out on loan could be best as we saw when THD got injured just how easily we could be left light.

I'm sure Eisner is doing this and that at Pompey and will fund a deal BUT with the right money involved as the clubs structure is where most money will be spent to begin, I'm sure.

Hi Rug, I am not expecting Eisner to bankroll the playing side of the club, but as his commitment (correct me if I am wrong) was to fix the infrastructure (i.e. the £5m or so to bring the ground up to scratch for the next 10 years + investment in training and youth facilities), he should cover the work that was done this summer and allow the playing budget to be increased accordingly. Without the noose of the ground and with the commitment of the supporters we should be able to get these 2-3 players we need in and stay well within budget. If he isn't going to do this, then what is the benefit? I know it's early days but he has effectively been involved for nearly a year now so should be able to hit the ground running.

In fairness does he really have a duty to cover work carried out over the summer when he wasn't the owner? Although, didn't he had some financial input anyway? I could, and probably am, wrong.

He first made his approach around May time didn't he? So, before he officially became owner a few weeks back, he's been there or thereabouts for, what, four months maximum really? No.

The rhetoric, was that the club was struggling to manage the ground and that c. £5m was needed - Eisner commented on this and as I understood it, this was his commitment. I think the timing is moot in this case, if he was waiting until the season starts to not have to commit to the ground improvements needed in the summer, I think that was misrepresented. 14k season ticket holders deserve a bit more, in my opinion of course.

NB he first got in touch with the club in Nov/Dec last year and he has retained the management team - everything is in place to be able to crack on, more so for a man of his calibre and experience. Again, my opinion.

I guess we'll find out what Eisner is all about in the coming months? If little to nothing has changed into the New Year, certainly this time next year, big question marks will be put besides his name.

I'm confident enough he'll deliver something though.