The Ollie Watkins Thread | Page 151 | Vital Football

The Ollie Watkins Thread

I know some on here are no big fans of stats, but when they are this good, they need to be shared far and wide. What a player he is turning into.

His stats speak for themselves. One in a long line of decisions that Dean Smith got right at Villa. Pretty sure he had a big say in bringing Ollie to the club. Whilst he took us as far as he could and went at the right time, I dont think any of us should forget what he did for us. Putting those building blocks in place were key in enabling us to progress once we finallly appointed an elite manager, capable of building on what he’d put in place and what Gerrard was on course to dismantle! Gaining promotion and uniting the club was probably his greatest achievement, staying there and consolidating was another and the purchase of Ollie is certainly up there as one of many decisions he very much got right. Good old Deano!

His stats speak for themselves. One in a long line of decisions that Dean Smith got right at Villa. Pretty sure he had a big say in bringing Ollie to the club. Whilst he took us as far as he could and went at the right time, I dont think any of us should forget what he did for us. Putting those building blocks in place were key in enabling us to progress once we finallly appointed an elite manager, capable of building on what he’d put in place and what Gerrard was on course to dismantle! Gaining promotion and uniting the club was probably his greatest achievement, staying there and consolidating was another and the purchase of Ollie is certainly up there as one of many decisions he very much got right. Good old Deano!
Don’t forget that Deano was constrained by finances as well. Having just been promoted, Purslow reminded everyone that it would take a period of stability in the PL to afford big wages. We’ve now got that, plus some great sponsorship deals and European football. Deano and Sousa had to wheel and deal in dark alleys and backstreets - hence some of the major failures with some signings (Jota, Wesley, Engels, Samatta etc)

Don’t forget that Deano was constrained by finances as well. Having just been promoted, Purslow reminded everyone that it would take a period of stability in the PL to afford big wages. We’ve now got that, plus some great sponsorship deals and European football. Deano and Sousa had to wheel and deal in dark alleys and backstreets - hence some of the major failures with some signings (Jota, Wesley, Engels, Samatta etc)
Pivoting from another year in the Championship to suddenly being a Premier Lge. team also played a role. Engels started life well but was firmly Championship standard in the end. Makes sense when you consider he was being tracked by Brentford at the time. Guilbert was another that was clearly Championship level.

I was playing golf behind Deano a few months back. Basically told him the same thing. Richard O'Kelly was with him, great servant to the club just when we needed him A true Villan.

I hope Ollie see's the doubters are still out there, Simon Jordan saying he won't score 25 goals in a season or anything like it ever again.

I hope Ollie see's the doubters are still out there, Simon Jordan saying he won't score 25 goals in a season or anything like it ever again.

I can certainly see him getting 15-20 in the league again so add on European and domestic cup games then it's not a bold shout to suggest he can do it again. There definitely seems to be some in the media set that have an agenda against Ollie.

Also Simon Jordan is a blustering moron who fucked up so badly at Palace they nearly went bust.

Last edited:
He's entitled to say what he likes about any one of the players. He may be right or wrong. Players come and go and it's all about timing it right as to when to let them go.
I was gutted when we let Andy Gray leave, unbelievable goalscorer but eventually, Ron brought in a 500k donkey called Withe, the rest is History as they say.

He is 28 years old, pretty much at his peak as a footballer.

Unai has turned him into a machine and I would back him to have a similar season next season if he is still here. If he was playing somewhere else, under a different manager, he'd be as likely as not to go back to what he was like under Slippy. I think Jordan has misjudged his improvement this season but I get where he is coming from.

He is 28 years old, pretty much at his peak as a footballer.

Unai has turned him into a machine and I would back him to have a similar season next season if he is still here. If he was playing somewhere else, under a different manager, he'd be as likely as not to go back to what he was like under Slippy. I think Jordan has misjudged his improvement this season but I get where he is coming from.
Yep, no reason to suggest that with the team set up a similar way next season, he couldn’t be even better. Watching him, his confidence and his all round game has improved during the season. So, as someone once said “opinions are like arseholes - everybody’s got one,” I prefer to use what I am seeing to make my own judgements.

Ollie used to be a decent striker, unai emery has turned him in to a top class striker. Martinez and watkins would walk in to most club sides in the world. Work rate, finishing with both feet, heading, pace, he has it all these days
Martinez has the swagger to play for any team in the world.

You know whats funny about Ollie, he gets knocked because "we're set up to play for him", isn't that what Pep is doing with Haaland? He could play for almost anyone too TBH. Maybe not Barcalona or Madrid but Atletico? Juve? Even City? Yeah I think he could.

Martinez has the swagger to play for any team in the world.

You know whats funny about Ollie, he gets knocked because "we're set up to play for him", isn't that what Pep is doing with Haaland? He could play for almost anyone too TBH. Maybe not Barcalona or Madrid but Atletico? Juve? Even City? Yeah I think he could.

Real Madrid don't really have a proper striker currently so he'd honestly walk into their first 11.

One more to become our first 20 goal Premier league striker and the first to get 20 in the top league since Withe in 80/81.

Saying you are wrong is not for everybody on here. I have no problem in saying this and admitting I have been wrong about Ollie . I didn't think he would be the one to take us to the next level.

Wouldn't swap him for anyone at the moment. Has the lot....pace, intelligence, strength to go with finishing quality. Fuck me, he is even becoming dominant in the air heading goals in from within the box.

That run and finish today was absolutely top, top class. If a wankfest striker had done that it'd be played over and over again and talked about for weeks.