The Ollie Watkins Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Ollie Watkins Thread

Think we are all beginning to run before we've learned to walk here. Ollie had a great game, but, lets all wait a while before suggesting he's world class. He'll have days when it just doesn't happen for him as well. We'll only begin to understand if he is truly world class after another 2 or 3 games :fish:

Looks like he's been in the PL for years. When we were negotiating the transfer I watched his goals and assists for Brentford loads and initially thought "He won't get that much space in the PL", but it's clear that he makes his own space with strength, speed *and* intelligence. It's the third one that makes him so dangerous. I don't want to wax lyrical too much, but he's got an experienced head on very young and fast shoulders. Should be a devastating combo.

Thats what I thought as well, same with the lad from Celtic because a lot of the goals he scored up there were a joke. I am not sure Ollie is an amazing finisher like Van Persie i.e. his striking of the ball is not as crisp but he is certainly a goal scorer. What I started to come away with watching his goals is that he will get the ball over the line anyway he can.

His attitude is what is going to set him apart, his post-match comments are a coach's dream and we're starting to see why we paid the money.

These are the only 10 who have scored a hattrick in PL against the dippers -

Andrew Cole Newcastle Nov 1993
Matt Le Tissier Southampton Feb 1994
Peter Ndlovu Coventry Mar 1995
Fabrizio Ravanelli Middlesbrough Aug 1996
Mark Viduka Leeds Nov 2000
Kevin Lisbie Charlton Sep 2003
Thierry Henry Arsenal Apr 2004
Andrey Arshavin Arsenal Apr 2009
Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United Sep 2010
Ollie Watkins Aston Villa Oct 2020

These are the only 10 who have scored a hattrick in PL against the dippers -

Andrew Cole Newcastle Nov 1993
Matt Le Tissier Southampton Feb 1994
Peter Ndlovu Coventry Mar 1995
Fabrizio Ravanelli Middlesbrough Aug 1996
Mark Viduka Leeds Nov 2000
Kevin Lisbie Charlton Sep 2003
Thierry Henry Arsenal Apr 2004
Andrey Arshavin Arsenal Apr 2009
Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United Sep 2010
Ollie Watkins Aston Villa Oct 2020
Let's hope this means he's the new Thierry Henry, and not the new Kevin Lisbie.

I rated him to get 15-20 goals this season and some thought I was mad and that 10+ will pay for his fee, For me he has it all and I still genuinely believe he could hit 15-20 goals this season.

Some Liverpool fan I was talking to was impressed with how well he held up the ball, everyone goes on about his speed but his strength to hold the ball up even after the Liverpool players were angry and getting physical, not many players have been able to do it.

Here's a stat for you, Ollie Watkins is only the second player ever to score a Hat trick in the first half, Owen (Against us) being the other one.

I rated him to get 15-20 goals this season and some thought I was mad and that 10+ will pay for his fee, For me he has it all and I still genuinely believe he could hit 15-20 goals this season.

Some Liverpool fan I was talking to was impressed with how well he held up the ball, everyone goes on about his speed but his strength to hold the ball up even after the Liverpool players were angry and getting physical, not many players have been able to do it.

Here's a stat for you, Ollie Watkins is only the second player ever to score a Hat trick in the first half, Owen (Against us) being the other one.
I'm sure Robbie Fowler did it in about 10mins one game - the little git loved scoring against us and Newcastle from memory - could be wrong of course and can't be arsed to look it up - why let the truth get in the way of a good story ehh?

I'm sure Robbie Fowler did it in about 10mins one game - the little git loved scoring against us and Newcastle from memory - could be wrong of course and can't be arsed to look it up - why let the truth get in the way of a good story ehh?
Fowler destroyed us a few times. Amazing on his day. I remember him getting a ovation from Villa fans after the FA Cup semi against Liverpool at Old Trafford.

Fowler destroyed us a few times. Amazing on his day. I remember him getting a ovation from Villa fans after the FA Cup semi against Liverpool at Old Trafford.
I would "like" the post, but I don't like Robbie Fowler, but yeah, he certainly loved to play us.

Edit - I looked it up McManaman scored the first and Robbie Fowler got 2 more (all in the first 10 mins) SUN 3 MAR 1996 :shake:

Didn't Gabby score a hat trick against Man City in about 5 minutes on the first game of the season a few years ago?

Ah misheard him! first half hat trick only done once in this fixure! I remember Gabbys Hat trick vs Man City couldn't remember if it was all in the first half though.

Still when Watkins has scored a Hat trick in his 3rd game in the Premiership and Gabby only got one in his whole career, you know the lad is something special.

What I loved about him was despite missing chances his head never dropped - if anything it made him even more determinded to find the back of the net. He is a natural finisher and let's just hope he stays fit for as long as possible. It does no harm that he has the likes of Barkley and Grealish buzzing around him either. Big price tag and I had my doubts at the time but we have a helluva player on our hands. Long may it continue and not that he seemed to need any more confidence than he appears to already have a first half hat-trick against the Champions will do him the world of good.

Looks like he's been in the PL for years. When we were negotiating the transfer I watched his goals and assists for Brentford loads and initially thought "He won't get that much space in the PL", but it's clear that he makes his own space with strength, speed *and* intelligence. It's the third one that makes him so dangerous. I don't want to wax lyrical too much, but he's got an experienced head on very young and fast shoulders. Should be a devastating combo.

I thought exactly the same about him getting chances as most of his goals were Rudd Van Nistelrooy types but that’s not a bad thing, very few strikers have that brain and intelligence as you said.

The only concern for me is if we have games where we barely get the ball in the box which happened last season he could go a couple games without scoring, but we are so superior to last season I don’t see us having many games where all he gets are scraps off 30 yard crosses from the full back.

I'll let you guess which one is Jack and Ollie and that's based on the 3 games we have played so far.

That's the beauty of it, Jack and Ollie play so close together they've always got options with each other.

Ross Barkley's movement as you can imagine is all over the pitch, but he also kept advanced central left more with Ollie and Jack, I think as an opposition you're going to find it tough to defend against those three, and when you do overcommit to one side you've got Trezeguet, McGinn and Cash running down the opposite side.

1602003725075.png
1602003776217.png

Last edited: