The Official Wrexham Match Thread (Sponsored by Brad Galinson "for all North American ownership needs") | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official Wrexham Match Thread (Sponsored by Brad Galinson "for all North American ownership needs")

Organisation at the back between back four and keeper is shocking at the moment, we are giving goals away so cheap! Its hard to put your finger on why, but if we need to score 3 to win a game we are going to struggle.
It starts with the Goalkeeper. Turner is a better shot stopper but with Morris in goal the defenders are better instructed and the area between the defence and the keeper is more secure. The big difference between last years turn around team in the second half of the season and what we have now is that Masterson and Ogie seem uncertain in that area.

Yep. Interesting that most of Harris' biggest supporters are those that don't go or rarely go.

Still playing as if under Harris. Clemence has a lot of work to do.
This is the only iFollow match I've missed this season. Does that count as a go or a no go?

Much has already been said about our early season results not reflecting the below par quality of our performances. In our last 6 games under Harris we got 7 points. 2 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses. After the Crewe game we dropped to 8th.

Millen and then Clemence inherited the squad put together and coached by Harris. In their 6 games they've got 6 points. 2 wins and 4 defeats.

Nobody can know how many we would have got had Harris been in charge but the above makes it seem like it would have been very similar.

The difference is that Harris had PROVED he couldn't change the way things were going. Clemence now has the time to try and change things. If it doesn't work out he'll then have the same chance that Harris had to start again.
We watch very very different teams

Under Harris I thought we were a good team missing 1 player, Hawkins. Now I think we're a shambles.
Clemence has got his hands full and obviously I want him to succeed . The upper management of Gills however need to take a long hard look at themselves.
Precisely. And actually I thought we played very well against Mansfield and a dodgy decision, bordering upon ridiculous, was all that kept NH from having NINE points from his last seven games, and a 100% home record apart from the Colchester game.

The only above average result since his leaving was the 1-0 win at Swindon, but they have gone on to concede 11 goals in their subsequent 2 home games so even that should be taken in context. We beat MK but they had a massive amount of shots because we were so open and we were hanging on at the end.

Hawkins is not the whole answer but he was integral to us playing well in a Harris system, giving his strike partner room to attack, holding up the play and occupying defenders. Bonne is doing his best but that is not his normal role and all his prospective support up front is injured. At least under NH it was only our away form that was suffering.

Last edited:
So Hawkins was such a big miss that NH continued to play the same way without him, or didn't replace him in the summer window?
I dont hink Harris was getting all his own way on transfers. Kenny and Hess would be more say than him perhaps. He was clearly frustrated about the lack of leaders recruited .

Anyway when Harris was here many were saying we had a group,of players capable of automatic Promotion Harris was just holding them back. He’s been gone over a month, we’ve had Millen and now clem but many still seem to think Harris still has some supernatural hold over these players

if Harris was given another window and got the players he wanted we’d be a force. Maybe not an exciting team to watch but it’s likely we would have been successfully.

Last edited:
So Hawkins was such a big miss that NH continued to play the same way without him, or didn't replace him in the summer window?
Why would he replace him in the summer window ?
He’s still here ffs.
He got injured pre season at Como.
Hasn’t played since.
Do you mean we should have bought another target man just in case he didn’t recover quickly?
Jesus, that’s the dumbest post of the thread.
Congratulations Captain.

I do t think Harris was getting all his own way on transfers. Kemmy and Hess would be more say than him perhaps. He was clearly frustrated about the lack of leaders recruited .

Anyway when Harris was here many were saying we had a group,of players capable of automatic Promotion Harris was just holding them back. He’s been gone over a month, we’ve had Millen and now clem but many still seem to think Harris still has some supernatural hold over these players

if Harris was given another window and got the players he wanted we’d be a force. Maybe not an exciting team to watch but it’s likely we would have been successfully.

Agree to a certain extent but if we were truly after Alfie May I don't get how NH would've got him into the team playing the system NH used/preffererd throughout his time here and even persisted with when his supposed key to it Hawkins was missing.

IMO alot of our players are shot mentally and are lacking belief, whether that be down to the message, approach, mentality over the last few months who knows or down to not having characters/leaders but something is not right. We look lost when we go behind. Tactics, formations and line ups can all change but until the mentality changes we'll continue to lack what's needed to be challenging.

It starts with the Goalkeeper. Turner is a better shot stopper but with Morris in goal the defenders are better instructed and the area between the defence and the keeper is more secure. The big difference between last years turn around team in the second half of the season and what we have now is that Masterson and Ogie seem uncertain in that area.

A team that increasingly struggles to score is inevitably going to see increasing pressure on its defence. Personally, I don`t think we have a problem at the back - indeed, we have some very good calibre defenders. The problem is 75+ yards further up field.

He’s still here ffs.
Hasn’t played since.
Do you mean we should have bought another target man just in case he didn’t recover quickly?
Congratulations Captain.
We had no time frame on Hawkins return from injury very early on. NH said it could be weeks or months a couple of time before the window closed. If he was that key to the way we play you either get a player in to replace him or change the way we play. We did neither.

You should be happy and not moaning Shoty, if you'd had you way we'd still be under PS reign. Be careful what you wish for was your advice of a takeover wasn't it?

I dont hink Harris was getting all his own way on transfers. Kenny and Hess would be more say than him perhaps. He was clearly frustrated about the lack of leaders recruited .

Agree with that, Octo. I suspect he was also frustrated about not getting a big, fast forward - a need NH alluded to before the season started.

Drinking in Chester pre-game as Wrexham police said every pub but one in Wrexham were home fans only. Would’ve tried a couple of decent taprooms/micropubs afterwards when they surely wouldn’t be strict
I always planned to ignore this and did as it ended up being BS. We had a nice few pints in the Fat Boar and Nags Head in Wrexham before the match and it ended up elsewhere after. Had a good chat with some Wrexham fans who saw it like us. Poor quality game, which they edged, we were toothless, they weren’t much better but put a bit more in in the second half, but we should have had a penalty, which could have changed the game. They also agreed that the division is poor and certainly a playoff place is there for the taking. We’ve lost 8 games now and are just 2 points off of the playoffs, if anyone doubts how poor this division is. Even with a bedding in period for Clemence, playoffs are still very achievable, albeit automatic is now looking more distant than it should do.

Saw Brad and Shannon driving away at the end who were no good form, despite the result, reciprocating with some waves and thumbs up to the Gills fans.

Still on the train home, and to be honest I couldn’t be bothered to read through this thread but I have to say that I haven’t felt that flat at any Gills game for a long time.
There seemed to to be a real lack of urgency about the team today
I can forgive them for not being good enough, that is par for the course being a Gills fan, but lack of commitment and effort is a unforgivable.
I felt genuinely let down today.
Fucking piss poor.
Really, really poor.
The main difference between the two teams for me was that Wrexham put in more effort in the second half, which is unacceptable - don’t think they had that much about them otherwise. The other big difference was that Wrexham had someone up top who could deal with their numerous pumps up field and our tactic of doing that came to behind. And again, we had a key decision go against us, but that’s par for the course.

Not to criticise Bonne, who has good attributes and works hard, however I feel Nichols and Hawkins are both intelligent players with their movements and awareness of other players. At the moment seems very flat and one dimensional.

We had no time frame on Hawkins return from injury very early on. NH said it could be weeks or months a couple of time before the window closed. If he was that key to the way we play you either get a player in to replace him or change the way we play. We did neither.

You should be happy and not moaning Shoty, if you'd had you way we'd still be under PS reign. Be careful what you wish for was your advice of a takeover wasn't it?
Not true.
Once the announcement of the takeover was made, I was 100% behind it.
What I was against was halfwits saying that Scally should sell to anyone, because anyone else would be better.
Things at the club have improved tremendously since the takeover over.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, the only mistake that Brad has made is replacing the manager without a plan.
Had he sacked Harris and replaced him immediately, it would have made sense.
After all, football is about opinions.
However, we’ve been rudderless and have plummeted out of contention.
We’ve gone from talking about promotion to talking about hopefully making the playoffs.

He’s still here ffs.

Hasn’t played since.
Congratulations Captain.
IMO, the recruitment team appears guilty of failing to acquire additional attackers of the type and quality required for a serious promotion push.

There`s no doubt that Hawks is a presence up front and in the air. But, i`m not sure he`s the type of robust centreman that would define him as a top forward in L2. I like him and wish him well but having watched him quite a lot in the NL, as well as at GFC, he`s not got great pace and his strength in the box fails to be commensurate with his size. Plus, of course, his fitness is suspect and may, for all we know, have been an issue for quite some time.

The one question that remains unanswered for me, is just how well he`d do on the front foot, in the box and feeding off a winger. Something we didn`t see last season. My guess is that his lack of speed would not fit the play model we appear to aspire to, but he`d be a squad asset due to his aerial potential as a late sub.

All season long, we`ve been missing a forward, or two, of similar quality to those in teams occupying top six spots in the table. Up front, we have effort, but seriously lack in quality.