The Official Wrexham Match Thread (Sponsored by Brad and Shannon "for all your North American owner needs") | Vital Football

The Official Wrexham Match Thread (Sponsored by Brad and Shannon "for all your North American owner needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Right, this is going to be rush job because it's the last day of my holiday, it's snowing heavily and I want to get out there.

Gills are without a win in three as we take on Hollywood FC at a sold out Priestfield today. I'm not sure of the attraction over any of the other rag-tag, average clubs in this division, but the people have spoken. We all know how we usually perform in front of a large home crowd...

While we currently average a point per game across the last six matches (absolutely not play-off form), the Red Dragons can only go one better with seven, although they've bounced back well from three successive defeats by beating Sutton, Notts County and nabbing a point off the Franchise.

The squad is looking light again with recent maimings for Hurtado, Jefferies and Lapslie, plus a bit of illness impacting the Hawk. Andrews may have scored in a blue shirt for the first time, but his proper debut is no nearer after he was injured in the B Team fixture earlier this week. Glenn Morris, who's of an age that gives me hope I could still turn professional, is also on standby following Turner's inability to train due to a couple of knocks sustained keeping out Stockport.

Wrecsam lead the head to head by 17 to 9, and due to their sojourn in non league and our own dalliance with the second and third tiers we've not met at Priestfield since 1999 when I (mostly) missed Bob Taylor's second-half hattrick in a 5-1 thumping having rightly been lobbed out at halftime (for the only time in my Gills career) for being a knobhead towards the away fans. I saw the goals go in from Redfern Avenue, the Medway Stand being nothing more than a green fence and celebrated by doing aeroplanes up and down the road on my own...good times.

No commentary or even updates for me today, £7 a mb of data in Andorra and I currently don't love Gills that much! 🤣

Hopefully an improved attacking performance against a side that has been notably porous at the back this season.

Enjoy the game and...

COYG!!!

Last edited:
The Wrexham advance party are apparently already at the ground sorting the players 'riders'. A bowl of leek flavoured M&Ms with laverbread and an inflatable sheep each. A dominos set on a table will replace the tactics board.
Stewards will be confiscating any autograph books at the turnstiles and anyone turning up in a Deadpool mask will be barred for life.

Just getting my cocoa in before a few zzzzds then up at 4 for the main event.
See you guys later
Edit: omens are good chocolate hobnobs back in the supermarket

Last edited:
Enjoy your last day skiing Herr. A bad day skiing is still better than a good day at work :-)

I really should be up for today, full house, still in the race for the playoffs but I'm really not. All of the positivity from the start of the season has evaporated. The lack of any real goal threat (other than set pieces) make this team a hard watch and a hard team to love.

So on that negative outlook we will probably score a hatful today and thrash the Welsh :-)

Overall though I am positive about the direction of the club. The Galinsons have been a breath of fresh air and the club is on an upwards trajectory. The likes of Hutton show that we can and we will attract better players and over time we will build a squad capable of challenging at the top.

We've had lots of bad luck this season (Hurtardo especially) and over time that evens itself out.

As the banner says -"these things take time" and at least we are moving in the right direction and we haven't said that for a few years.

Beautiful weather for football, sell out crowd so please, please Gillingham show some attacking intent today.

I loathe the hype & hoopla surrounding Wrexham. Tedious & tiresome. For me it's just another L2 game for the Gills, one as ever I want us to win.

Never seen a Ryan Reynolds film & not a clue what the fella looks like in case I bump into him on the way to the ground.

We are so inconsistent it's very difficult to accurately predict a score, not that I'm very good at that anyway.

Given my dislike of the likely predictable media circus tosh, I'm going with the heart & fancy us to pull off an unconvincing 1-0 home win.

I always look forward to attending home games and always used to enjoy the extra buzz generated by a bigger crowd.

Unfortunately in recent times the influx of those that only attend 'big' games has had the opposite effect as most of them seem to be neanderthal youths hellbent on making the afternoon about them.

I hope things go well on the pitch as from previous experience a poor Gills performance will only provoke them to behave worse.

Fingers-crossed the dozens of usually empty seats around me will be filled today with 'football fans' that will enjoy what they see so much that they come again.

Most importantly, I hope that the team turn up and put in a performance that makes Gills fans proud. We should beat Wrexham at home. If we don't I'll become resigned to watching L2 football again next season.

COYG

Fck off talksport
Known around these parts as TalkShite.
The squad is looking light again with recent maimings for Hurtado, Jefferies and Lapslie, plus a bit of illness impacting the Hawk. Andrews may have scored in a blue shirt for the first time, but his proper debut is no nearer after he took was injured in the B Team fixture earlier this week. Glenn Morris, who's of an age that gives me hope I could still turn professional, is also on standby following Turner's inability to train due to a couple of knocks sustained keeping out Stockport.
😂😂😂

Wayne Rooney is 10 years younger than me to the day. 24th October. When he announced his retirement it finally dawned on me that I was probably gonna stay in Engineering, and that I had missed my chance as a pro footballer. ☹️

I loathe the hype & hoopla surrounding Wrexham. Tedious & tiresome. For me it's just another L2 game for the Gills, one as ever I want us to win.

Never seen a Ryan Reynolds film & not a clue what the fella looks like in case I bump into him on the way to the ground.

We are so inconsistent it's very difficult to accurately predict a score, not that I'm very good at that anyway.

Given my dislike of the likely predictable media circus tosh, I'm going with the heart & fancy us to pull off an unconvincing 1-0 home win.

Me neither Surveyor. In fact the wife put one of his films on the other Saturday evening. In disgust and as a show of defiance I plugged into the MacBook and watched the whole meridian series of 97/98 under Pulis on YouTube.

I’d imagine he’ll be easy to spot. He’ll have flashing lights, a swarm of sycophants and the worlds media following his every step and hanging on his every word.

CYUG

Enjoy your last day skiing Herr. A bad day skiing is still better than a good day at work :-)

I really should be up for today, full house, still in the race for the playoffs but I'm really not. All of the positivity from the start of the season has evaporated. The lack of any real goal threat (other than set pieces) make this team a hard watch and a hard team to love.

So on that negative outlook we will probably score a hatful today and thrash the Welsh :-)

Overall though I am positive about the direction of the club. The Galinsons have been a breath of fresh air and the club is on an upwards trajectory. The likes of Hutton show that we can and we will attract better players and over time we will build a squad capable of challenging at the top.

We've had lots of bad luck this season (Hurtardo especially) and over time that evens itself out.

As the banner says -"these things take time" and at least we are moving in the right direction and we haven't said that for a few years.

Beautiful weather for football, sell out crowd so please, please Gillingham show some attacking intent today.
Very much agree with what you've written.

I got the impression from the forum that the Galinsons have "discovered" the realities of the club and are realistic about what needs to be done to wake the "Comatose Giant". In particular, Brad's comments when asked about a new ground were (for me) very telling.

No idea what Gills side will turn up today. We could go down 7-0. Or we could reproduce or better the tonking Harrogate got at 9-2. Or it could be a dire 0-0. Good luck to all the Prediction League contestants.

I'll be doing the best I can with the BBC online and Final Score plus the comments on here.

UTG

I do not care if the football is not entertaining. I do not care if we fart around with the ball at the back. Anyway but loose Gills; just find a way to win!

UTG

To be fair you are entitled to that view but its a lot easier when you arent sat in the ground watching it.

I tend to feel the same as you when listening to an away day on the radio. When in the ground (home or away) i want something to get me excited and out my seat.