The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 138 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

I
I honestly dont think Sturridge and Cahill fit into the plan that Persow had for Villa . I would be surprised if either were wearing Villa shirts at Spurs.
I think we need real PL, international, experienced players and they're both potentially top four quality players.

I honestly dont think Sturridge and Cahill fit into the plan that Persow had for Villa . I would be surprised if either were wearing Villa shirts at Spurs.

Not so sure as there is no transfer fee attached. I think its more that they are avoiding paying huge fee's for players of that age as we would be unlikely to get anything back on them.
Dont personally like Sturridge, quality player but awful attitude, the sort of guy who could unsettle team morale. Cahill I would be more than happy with on a 2 year deal so long as wages aren't astronomical.

I read into Persows interview that they are in the business of having players who go up in value not down. Also both players would have trouble with DS high pace style of football. We need younger fitter players.

I reckon there will be one more big 20m+ signing and I’d expect that to be a defensive midfielder. Hopefully Phillips. After that I think it’ll be lesser cost signings, we can’t spend 20m+ on them all. There’ll be another CB coming in, Tuanzebe loan would be the ideal scenario but depends what Utd plan with him. Cahill on a free or the likes of Hegazi from WBA who has a low ish release clause of 10m. A keeper for around 10m, most likely Heaton. I think there’ll be another winger coming in, probably from abroad. A back up striker and to utilise the loan market and get in another midfielder to provide squad depth.

We’ve spent about 65m now, on course to spend another 50m, somewhere in that region and that’ll be us done.

I read into Persows interview that they are in the business of having players who go up in value not down. Also both players would have trouble with DS high pace style of football. We need younger fitter players.
Ones a central defender and the other is 29. They're both fit.

It's strange how we each have opinions on players and who will fit with the system and yet none of us know anything about the individuals. I am happy to watch it unfold and trust Smith and Purslow to stick to their plan - players that add value. I'm not interested whether a player is £5 or £20m, 21 or 31yrs old. They just have to have the energy of McGinn, the leadership of Mings and the skill of Grealish. don't want much do I?

How times change and how quick we forget....

12 months ago we were going out of business, now I find myself saying "I would rather buy Butland than Heaton"

I actually do think that, but in reality, either (or Etheridge to be fair) will be a massive coup and so much more than what we should expect.

Because he's not good enough to play in the Premier League at his age.
Wouldn't put it quite in those terms Deano, I think he has his limitations and we require a ball playing DCM, not just a destructive force. Same with Jedi.

If we are looking to compete we need a more complete player. We also have no idea how Tshibola will turn out. We may already have cover in that position. I'm sure DS and Co will give him a fair opportunity in pre-season.

Your assessment is probably accurate and he won't make it here, but he hasn't really had an opportunity with us. Bruce didn't fancy him but perhaps he has grown up a bit. Even if we can sell him for what we paid, I would see that as success. Smith made players out of Whelan, Taylor and Elmo that we hadn't seen previously.

Looking at the keepers we are linked to - Heaton, Butland, Hart, McCarthy, Etheridge.

TBH, I would take any of them. Butland would be the preference due to the lower age, but any of those and I will be ecstatic.

Hart is actually younger than Heaton. Yes, he has lost confidence, but you dont get 70 odd England caps and win a load of trophies for being crap.

Butland, Hart, McCarthy, Heaton, Etheridge I would go, but any of them.

As I said earlier - could you imagine this debate a year ago ?. We would have been lucky with Sarkic in goal !

The book on Gary Cahill's next club seems to have been removed.

Not sure if that means anything, but Skybet were offering odds on him earlier this week and now they aren't.