The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 125 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

Couldn't care less about experience to be honest the experienced managers doing the rounds are looking washed up and stale anyway. All of the top managers had to start somewhere with no experience and it is becoming clear that in modern football it isn't that important. There is a new generation of managers coming in right now and if we get Henry then we have hit the jackpot. There is absolutely no reason why he can't be a very good manager. Very exciting and forward looking.

Or we could go for Big Sam or Pardew?

I think there's a lot in what you say Bikini. A lot of the old guard are looking like their days of being a top manager have gone.
The game is changing rapidly and a lot of them just can't keep up with the changes.

Yep. Zidane is the most successful manager in the world and had no experience. These days they all have to get coaching qualifications before they start they don't need 5 years in league 2 in order to learn how to counter a 4--4-2. The alternatives are uninspiring.

I think Bruce is a goner come Wednesday. The new owners will look at the failure of promotion with the squad he had last season as the catalyst for the chop. Id be surprised if he was kept on.

Henry is a massive risk, we all took the piss when Yorke kept touting himself for the job as he had no experience. If he does get the job I hope he brings in some experience as his number 2.

Yep. Zidane is the most successful manager in the world and had no experience. These days they all have to get coaching qualifications before they start they don't need 5 years in league 2 in order to learn how to counter a 4--4-2. The alternatives are uninspiring.
Give over - I could manage Ronaldo and Real Madrid and do as well as he did....and your missing the fact Madrid fans wanted him gone as he fucked the league, didn't live up to their expectations but saved it with the CL.

He also had experience, worked his way through youth setup and then assistant role.

Coaching qualifications are BS and it's no substitute for doing the actual job.

Henry is a massive risk, we all took the piss when Yorke kept touting himself for the job as he had no experience. If he does get the job I hope he brings in some experience as his number 2.
Yeah, on the current squee basis bring in Yorkie! Or Ivo Stas....I get the renewed optimism but let's not be Dr Tony Xia.

I think we need to think very carefully before we get excited by the name Thierry Henry. Because that's what we are appointing, a name. Not anyone with a shred of experience on his own as the top man

I'm also not sure what people mean when they say the game is changing rapidly. What exactly does that mean. Is it changing ?. Or is it cyclical . Styles and philosophies come and go then come round again. Remember Little and his 3 at the back in the 90s. Reared its head again 20 years later at the recent world cup with England and I think Belgium were playing it at times.

The one name out there worthwhile is Wenger. Keep Bruce as defensive coach if willing (doubtful), Henry as striker coach. Let Wenger set the basics then move to DoF - let Henry build experience before even thinking about taking the hotseat.

That's the only path for Henry I see.

Mellberg in as defensive coach. Laursen in as 'nut anybody not giving 100%'. Let Delaney take U23 role properly......

I've not read the Star (cough spunk merchants) report about Henry, so going off what people here have said about accuracy.

Sadly I can't say the same for websites of our ilk and it's now becoming a trend on aggregators where they report the Daily Star is actually factual? I need more to drink.

I'm about to report Bergkamp is going to be our new canteen manager btw - exclusive (ly bollocks).

Not been a fan of Bruce But Henry ? I just hope this does not turn out to be the new owners RDM but if so fair enough lets get it out the way now. There is no basis for me to judge him on never liked him as a pundit,superb player end of. Same story now being run on the bbc Mike but having accepted verbally only.

Could be true, likely not given original source - but I suppose the Star has to get something right this year eventually?

It's one of those, I could see the sense in 2 years - learnt under Wenger, Belgium assistant, the bloke is driven - but the situation he's walking into in reality - not the new optimism - it's not going to work if he's calling the shots.

It'd be overwhelming....another couple of years it wouldn't if he becomes the kind of manager I think he's capable of, as I vaguely remember him spending time coaching etc Arse's kids as well knowing he wanted to take that path and Wenger was happily willing.

Remi Garde was the same though - I can't squee over this.

I really think SB has earned first crack at it. He was willing to give it his best when we never had a pot to piss in due to incompetence. I admire him for that. He could quite easily have walked out.

However i could also understand new owners having new ideas. I hope TH is not one of them though. Being a good footballer does not make you a good manager as has been proved more often than not. Interesting times though at the moment.

In spite of huge achievements (some time ago), I'm not a fan of Arsenal and the Wenger style of doing things. He proved to be obstinate, dogmatic and incapable of objectively looking at the faults of his managment. I think Arsenal have done the right thing in breaking away and going for a manager of a different style.

By the same token I'm not enthusiastic about people who might be said to follow Wenger and his approach. That's my worry about Henry; it might be misplaced, but I'm not sure he's the right manager for us, no matter what position we find ourselves in. There's just one Arsenal player I'd take like a shot; Patrick Viera. It was Viera who gave Wenger his early victories. He never knew how to give up, he was an immense figure on the pitch, and he's carried that on successfully into management.

Viera's made the jump, I'm pretty sure Gerrard will succeed, and so will JT. It's because they were outstanding leaders, not just outstanding players. Not sure Henry is in that category.

I must admit although not a fan of Bruce, I do feel he might be the best option for now. Having said that all this rubbish about him knowing the league, to me is a load of crap it's like any other league get the most points and you win it, to do that you need to win games. He is far to negative for me. No guarantees who ever the manager is and how much is spent as we all well know. On the other hand if Henry can bring Mbappe and Hazzard to support Grealish well .maybe it's an option.

The notion of employing Henry in our position after the summer we have had is frankly crazy. Why on earth take such a massive risk straight away? It would be a sign of employing the big name just as RDM was, and look what a mess that cost financially and points wise. Bruce knows the squad has a great relationship with the players, why risk that. Give him the chance to see what he can achieve.

More of last year's strategy will not get us promoted IMO. If Henry were appointed, much would depend on the support team he brought with him. Could be entertaining, might be a car crash. Guess we'll find out one way or the other.