The Official Shrewsbury Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Simon King's Magic Back Pocket) | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Official Shrewsbury Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Simon King's Magic Back Pocket)

We are a shambles both on and off the pitch. Quite frankly after what's happened today, I don't care if Evans and Raynor go. And I never thought I'd be saying that. No creativity, except in the punching off the pitch.

Summed up succinctly. Never liked our management side, always thought they were foul mouthed yobs, they're really going all out to prove that this season.

If PS addresses all the current and recent issues at the club, both on and off the pitch in his next Chairmans chat it'll be two hours long.

Did anyone see who punched who at the final whistle? Radio Kent seemed to think that Steve Cotteril was sent off, along with Raynor, but the pictures seemed to show the Shrews' sub keeper being sent off. I don't think the camera showed anything useful.

Last edited:
Firstly. pathetic performance from us against an abysmal team - a game we were winning fairly comfortably and should have gone on to win fairly easily, but again we sit back and hang on and gift an awful team who haven't won or scored all season two goal s and an undesserved win.

Now on to the more controversial aspect. Shrewsbury chronically wasted time at the end, which is their wont and what we'd have done, but the referee completely lost the plot and facilitated this. It all started with a clear bad foul on Jack Tucker, which I thought the ref gave, but somehow it ended in a drop ball. And then, having added six minutes on, he allowed Shrewsbury to waste at least two minutes during that six minutes, which would have need to be added on at the end. Then, bang on the 96, there was a flair up between Phillips and one of their players (both players had been booked), and the ref yellow carded them both and only sent off Phillips. Paul Raynor then pointed that out to the ref, and various members of the Shrews bench reacted and it ended with Raynor being pushed over (possibly punched - the iFollow footage wasn't that clear) and the ref sending off both the culprit (who I think was their reserve keeper) and Raynor, presumably for being pushed over/punched). And then to top things off, he blew the full time whistle before the game had been restarted and, there is no doubt that there was time still to play, as had the game ended, the whistle would have already been blown. I'm afraid as a referee, you just can't blow the whistle because you've lost control of the game, when there is time toi play in which we could have easily equalised. I think we've got a good shout to ask for that match to be replayed.

Last edited:
I think he wanted to end it rather than continue to dish out more red cards if it carried on. Total loss of discipline .

Well if that's what it takes, that's what you do. If you get down to 6 a side (is that the limit), then you abandon the game. Regardless of what's going on, surely the ref can't just decide to end the game early?

There was also the incident with Tucker a few minutes earlier, which I think probably served to wind our bench up a fair bit. Looked like Tucker went down, the ref didn't give a free kick, but then thought there was a head injury to Tucker so stopped play and called on the physio. Tucker was OK, didn't need any treatment, but because the ref had called on the physio, he had to send Tucker off the pitch to restart the match.

Not defending anything that our players or management did, but the ref well and truly lost control in the last 5 minutes or so plus stoppage time. Doesn't justify everything that went on at the end, but I certainly think it contributed to the frustration at our second half performance which resulted in everything kicking off the way it did.

We could get a big fine for the scenes at the end.

Don't think Gillingham players or officials did anything hugely egregious - obviously Evans and Raynor were as gobby as ever, but they struck no one. I think the one who could be in real trouble is te referee. You just can;t blow the whistle for full time because you've lost control when there is still time to play - it ain't a kids game or match down the park.

A friend in ground who’s a Shrews fan said it was reserve keeper sent off although RK commentary said Cotteril and Raynor were the ones exchanging punches. You can’t expect to keep discipline in the squad if your management team continually set such a poor example. Fully expect Smith to be announced as manager next week.

Did anyone see who punched who at the final whistle? Radio Kent seemed to think that Steve Cotteril was sent off, along with Raynor, but the pictures seemed to show the Shrew's sub keeper being sent off. I don't think the camera showed anything useful.

Looked like the Shrews reserve keeper to me, but there assistant manager or coach was also in he Gills' technical area - didn't see Cotterill involved.

Don't think Gillingham players or officials did anything hugely egregious - obviously Evans and Raynor were as gobby as ever, but they struck no one. I think the one who could be in real trouble is te referee. You just can;t blow the whistle for full time because you've lost control when there is still time to play - it ain't a kids game or match down the park.

I don't know if a certain number of cards handed out, triggers a charge of 'failing to keep one's players under control' or 'bringing the game into disrepute'. Like I said , I don't know the rules.

Next week certainly won't be quiet with either new players arriving or a management team leaving I'd think.

We are indeed a shambles though.

When the ref blew the whistle to start with, I wondered whether he had abandoned the game as I couldn't fathom why a ref would blow a whistle when there was still time to play? As I say, I've never seen anything like that, other than at kids' games and the like, if say a team is getting gubbed. It will be interesting to see what the repersussions are and I personally think GFC should be pushing for the match to be replayed - for the integrity of the game, you just can't blow the whistle to finish it when there is time to still be played.

When the ref blew the whistle to start with, I wondered whether he had abandoned the game as I couldn't fathom why a ref would blow a whistle when there was still time to play? As I say, I've never seen anything like that, other than at kids' games and the like, if say a team is getting gubbed. It will be interesting to see what the repersussions are and I personally think GFC should be pushing for the match to be replayed - for the integrity of the game, you just can't blow the whistle to finish it when there is time to still be played.
Weren’t we into the 7th minute or injury time when he blew the whistle? It’s not like there was only 85 mins played. I think it’s basically up to the ref when to end it once in injury time.

What was the original time added on ? I mean were we in time added onto the time added on ?

Either way no chance of getting it replayed. FA will back their ref, at least publicly.

I'm concerned at another shite performance. What's going to happen when we play a decent side ?