The Official Rochdale Match Thread (Sponsored by Jack Tucker "for all your one goal in the last SEVEN at home needs") | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Official Rochdale Match Thread (Sponsored by Jack Tucker "for all your one goal in the last SEVEN at home needs")

Much more encouraging but I will be interested to see NH's comments as to whether the shape and pattern of play that he wants is coming together.

Greenaldo is clearly the player that needs to be given the freedom so he can create and float, making him difficult for the opposition to pick up. Even Reeves does not have his flair.

Almost too many positives to mention. Ryan Law was assured at full back and came forward with purpose. Wright as well as defending well takes a great free kick and produced one stunning cross. Baggott was excellent at the heart of the defence. Williams produced the neat passing and footwork in midfield that we’ve been lacking. Lee looked much more like his old self. Kashket was all energy and produced a superb headed goal. Reeves helped us control the midfield for 75% of the game. Jordan Green as well as being lightning quick and a real danger to the opposition defence was superb at winning the ball back high up the pitch. No one in the team could be said to have had a poor game.

At this stage of the season I am far more interested in how we are beginning to look as a team than simply getting results. There were enough promising signs today to suggest we could be a force in this division. A couple of additions would be useful but the bones of the team are there.

Woke up too late to watch over here in the US

Great to get the first win of the season and fantastic to hear that the performance was good

Seen our goal on twitter and looked like a fantastic free kick and header from Kashket. Nice that one of our forwards is off the mark already.

Anyone who watched or went, did we look like scoring from open play?
Yes we did, dominated most of the play, and knocked the ball around very well. If it hadn't been for their excellent goalkeeper it could have been 3 or 4. They all played well, my only criticism was of Mandron, their centre half won most of the aerial balls and he seemed a bit slow to me. Contrast that to Oliver last season who won virtually everything in the air, perhaps Mandron was carrying a knock.

Agree about the Green comments. Harris was applauding the crowd for the standing ovation that Green rightly deserved. Will have given his confidence a real boost. I predict he will earn us a hat trick of penalties this season.
Special mention for Wright too. Great work rate, attitude and always looking to create something.

Green is going to win us so many fouls in and around the box (and probably in the box too). Really impressed with him, which was my takeaway today. And I'm a little bit biased as I saw him play several times for Dulwich last season; was absolutely delighted he signed for us

Significant improvement today from last seasons woeful home performances.

We scored …we had shots …we were good value for the win…..

Green looks a handful and will scare lots of defenders…. Liked the look of Williams as captain too…. Encouraging start for me.
Green and Williams are the two that stuck out for me in the Portsmouth game. Green will always head for goal, none of this doubling back and looking for a defender to pass to and looks strong for a small lad. Likes a tackle too so when he loses it, will, more iften than not, get it back. Very exciting. As for Williams, you can tell he's and ex international always got time on the ball and his passing, although not spectacular, is very accurate.
Couple of great signings IMO.

Thought Wright was better after Wimbledon and great free kick.

Very nice passing from the Gills and we never looked that troubled outside of one spell by Dale.

Greene looks great and seems like he can improve. A bit more strength wouldn't go amiss but its a great signing. Baggott again assured and Glenn Morris wasn't troubled. Hopefully he can do nothing all season and rob us blind of his wages.

Some good positives today.
Most of all an enjoyable game with a good atmosphere, and some good football
(unlike the dark days under Evans) .
Credit to Rochdale for trying to play football with only one bad tackle and no moaning - and taking the knee

We now look to have a really exciting right winger and a proper left back, both of which have been lacking for years.
We do need O'Keefe fit as Lee has the right ideas but is just a bit too slow to make them work; and to keep Reeves fit.

I look forward to a good season, top half but we prob need 2/3 additions to think of playoffs

COYG

Good result and great performance today, but I'm not getting too carried away, because Rochdale were very poor, but I think that shows that this is a poor division there for the taking - things didn't work out last week at Wimbledon and maybe they're better than we were expecting and may do well, but Rochdale were lightyears from 90% of the teams we played in League One last year - a very different level of football.

It was nice to see us get it down more today and play some lovely struff. Probably the best football we've played - actually, since god knows how long as under Evans and to be honest, Lovell and Pennock too, the brand of football was always direct. That's not saying that we played tika-taka as NH himself has rightly noted that some more direct teams got out of the division and more attractive teams stayed down. Today, we got the balance right - mainly kept it down, but when needed we played it longer, but it was more an educated and directed long ball, direct to Mandron's head or in space for Green or Kashket to chase (obviously a few Max punts aside).

For 60 minutes, we completely controlled the game. Kept the ball down, created lots of chances and only the excellent Dale keeper kept us out behind their shambolic defence. In the last 20-30 mins, we sat back a bit and Dale, with a few changes, finally had more of a go, but to be honest created absolutely nothing with Morris really not having anything to do, bar dealing nicely with a couple of crosses - however, it didn't seem like that at the time as at 1-0, I always feared we could slip up.

As for performances, the defence were sound without being threatened. There was concern about Max last season, but I think he's more than good enough at this level - wins most things in the air, physically strong, even if he does still love a hump up-field - silly booking for smashing the ball into the Rainham End for no reason after conceding a corner, but I though it was a bit harsh as it didn't waste any time and Rochdale players did similar things at least twice without the same punishment. The Lad, Bagot, looks a talent. Sublime in the first half, winning lots of headers. Good on the ball, but for me did look a little rattled in the last 20 when Dale finally got their act together and had a go at him. I was impressed with the two full backs Low and Wright - especially Wright. They played proper full back roles and understood their defensive duties which was key with the attacking Kashket and Green in front of them. Our midfield looked a class above Dale - to be fair apart from their keeper as did the rest of our team. For all the doom merchants, our League One failures from last season and some of our new players - especially our midfield three and wingers in Lee, Reeves, Williams, Kashket and Green were miles better than Rochdale's midfielders. Williams added the composure and ability to keep the ball and play the simple ball that we've been lacking for years; Lee playing deeper than last week, likewise did the same and showed some class touches. The pick of the midfielders was Reeves, who I thought was excellent - great touches and passes and excellent crosses, free kicks and corners. Man of the match, Green, was fantastic. Chased everything down, created chances from nothing and was an absolute menace to the Rochdale defence. Kashket similarly was a menace and caused all problems with his pace and ability to keep going.

And now for the slight negatives. Mandron was a big disappointment for me. He won little in the air, but didn't do a lot when the ball was played in to him and didn't make a nuisance of himself as I would like to have seen him do. We desperately need a second forward to give him some challenge. The other negative is that our first XI was lightyears ahead of Rochdale, but our bench clearly isn't. Our first subs were Macdonald and Walker. Macdonald looks way off of fitness and his slowness got him booked and gave away a free kick in a dangerous area. Walker - the jury is out on him - does not look like the sort of quality we need to replace Mandron, albeit that the big man did not play well. Rochdale brought on a black guy with dreads who looks very dangerous - better than out subs and TBH probably better than most of their starters! Scally needs to pull his finger out and back our excellent manager and give him backing and squad he deserves. The other negative was a poor refereeing performance that we'll have to deal with this season - Max was silly, but harshly booked as I say whilst Dale players were let off for similar indiscretions. Wright and Macdonald were probably rightly booked, but Reeves and Green must have been fouled persistently at least 10 times without the ref taking any further action.

All in a good job done - we're off the mark and I'm convinced will only get better if we can bolster the squad a bit.

Last edited:
Couldn’t watch last night. But so refreshing to wake up to a win and reports from everyone that we actually played good football and deserved it. For once, Facebook is not full of negative trolls. Even some of the more despondent fans are quite upbeat about the performance. That hasn’t happened for probably a couple of seasons.

Early days, but Jordan Green is sounding like the find of the season. And finally there’s some praise for our midfielders. Williams, Reeves and Lee have all been praised in the early games. Jeffries sounds promising and O’Keefe still to fit in. Add in MacDonald on the comeback and we might actually have riches aplenty in the middle and not be continually over-run in games.

I hope today is a sign of things to come for the season. Especially if, as NH says, we are just a work in progress for the first few months.

UTG!

Credit to Rochdale for trying to play football with only one bad tackle and no moaning - and taking the knee
COYG

Credit to Gills on that front for finally not wasting their time and energy on a futile gesture. They certainly got a hearty "well done, Gills" from me (the first of many on the day thankfully) for that.