The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Kalms "for all your stress and sleeplessness needs") | Vital Football

The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Kalms "for all your stress and sleeplessness needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
The penultimate game of the season has arrived as we make the trip to Portsmouth today with 1150 Gills fans in tow having sold out both our initial and secondary ticket allocations.

It's incredibly tight at the bottom of the table, as was pointed out in another thread, by the end of Tuesday night we could be safe, relegated or need a result against the faltering promotion candidates, Rotherham next weekend.

Our opponents today saw their play-off ambitions ended on Monday by one of our fellow relegation rivals, Morecambe, having previously won two on the spin against Lincoln and the aforementioned Rotherham. It's difficult to know whether teams with nothing to play for are a more dangerous beast given the lack of pressure on them, but I think we'd all hope Pompey are in beach mode today.

Our league record at Fratton Park is sound in recent times, two wins and two draws from our last four visits. It also seems to be a place where we enjoy scoring spectacular goals; who can forget Eaaaaaaves' sublime flick and volley, Wilkinson's incisive run and finish or either of Lee Martin's two belters from outside the box? What price Ben Thompson lashing home a howitzer today against his former side? Just as long as Ogilvie stays quiet.

A change of tactics will be required from us today following Charlie Kelman's red card last time out. Having seen the footage of the tackle used by the club in its failed appeal (shot from the Medway Stand side), it did appear as though we had a case, but the appeal was dismissed leaving us with a dilemma today.

Harris doesn't appear to have a great deal of faith in Dickson-Peters and with Sithole still coming back from injury, the boss will probably have to amend his preferred 5-3-2 formation, possibly pushing up someone like the underperforming Olly Lee into the No.10 position. His options are, as always, limited due to the small squad and the dwindling fitness of certain players after a long season.

Elsewhere today, Fleetwood take on AFC Wimbledon and the Franchise face Morecambe, the first fixture especially adding a little bit more drama to today's proceedings. Personally, I feel we need to take maximum points from either this or the Rotherham game to remain in with a shout of staying above the dotted line and given our frankly abysmal home record, today could have to be the day.

Safe travels to all who are attending, I hope today is as special for us as some of our previous trips to that part of the world and that we emerge at full-time looking less nervously at the table.

COYG!

Last edited:
I’m still in the Far East so have been tucking in to a few (medicinal) beverages for a few hours now.

yet another great away following; well done everyone.

COYG

The penultimate game of the season has arrived as we make the trip to Portsmouth today with 1150 Gills fans in tow having sold out both our initial and secondary ticket allocations.

It's incredibly tight at the bottom of the table, as was pointed out in another thread, by the end of Tuesday night we could be safe, relegated or need a result against the faltering promotion candidates, Rotherham next weekend.

Our opponents today saw their play-off ambitions ended on Monday by one of our fellow relegation rivals, Morecambe, having previously won two on the spin against Lincoln and the aforementioned Rotherham. It's difficult to know whether teams with nothing to play for are a more dangerous beast given the lack of pressure on them, but I think we'd all hope Pompey are in beach mode today.

Our league record at Fratton Park is sound in recent times, two wins and two draws from our last four visits. It also seems to be a place where we enjoy scoring spectacular goals; who can forget Eaaaaaaves' sublime flick and volley, Wilkinson's incisive run and finish or either of Lee Martin's two belters from outside the box? What price Ben Thompson lashing home a howitzer today against his former side? Just as long as Ogilvie stays quiet.

A change of tactics will be required from us today following Charlie Kelman's red card last time out. Having seen the footage of the tackle used by the club in its failed appeal (shot from the Medway Stand side), it did appear as though we had a case, but the appeal was dismissed leaving us with a dilemma today.

Harris doesn't appear to have a great deal of faith in Dickson-Peters and with Sithole still coming back from injury, the boss will probably have to amend his preferred 5-3-2 formation, possibly pushing up someone like the underperforming Olly Lee into the No.10 position. His options are, as always, limited due to the small squad and the dwindling fitness of certain players after a long season.

Elsewhere today, Fleetwood take on AFC Wimbledon and the Franchise face Morecambe, the first fixture especially adding a little bit more drama to today's proceedings. Personally, I feel we need to take maximum points from either this or the Rotherham game to remain in with a shout of staying above the dotted line and given our frankly abysmal home record, today could have to be the day.

Safe travels to all who are attending, I hope today is as special for us as some of our previous trips to that part of the world and that we emerge at full-time looking less nervously at the table.

COYG!
Great stuff as always although if this drags on until the last day, you might want to get sponsorship from Andrex........for all your "sh*t your pants needs".

In the med so heading out to a bar now with my iPad. I need beer to settle the nerves. It’s that same sort of feeling sitting in the dentists waiting room

COYG!