The Official Morecambe Match Thread (Sponsored by a returning Josh Andrews "for all your playoff desperation needs") | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Official Morecambe Match Thread (Sponsored by a returning Josh Andrews "for all your playoff desperation needs")

Nope. He is saving all his energy for fighting off the 3 defenders who spend all game hanging off his neck, trying to rip his shirt off and chopping away at his Giant Redwood legs.
I also remember the Hawk making eye contact and interacting with us after he hit the bar at Colchester.

I think he is just more laid back than some others.

Hi OSK.

Madrid was spot on with his interpretation.

Absolutely NOT a dig at you. Far from it, you didn't mention gender anyway.

Can understand that you misread it but again, not a criticism of you at all. Wasn't meant to be a whoosh of you either.
🙂

Thanks G58. Glad my whoosh-free reputation is intact as well.

Never been whooshed in my life. Never.

Ever…

He didn't. He was making a point. Gills69 mentioned that it was a female commentator as if that was relevant and only female commentators would make mistakes. Gills58 suggested (tongue in cheek) that obviously a man wouldn't get their facts wrong, so "obviously", by that logic, the vlogger from your video (who also got their facts wrong) would've had to be a woman too. I suspect he knows full well that it was a man.

- Yes, Gills69 made gender the issue. At no point does anyone suggest that you did.

- Because in your post there's an example of a man also getting their facts wrong about the Gills. That's it.

Sorry OSK, but I really think you've well and truly got the wrong end of the stick on this one. I honestly can't see how Gills58's post is about you or aimed at you in any way, shape or form. To me, it reads entirely as a dig at Gillg69.
Nah, you`ve all missed the real issue - ageism ! Gills58 v Gills69 - Tut tut :wack:

Last edited:
Arguably our best win of the season that. I know we outplayed Salford for large parts in both games and Notts away was a comfortable win in the end - but to come from behind twice, so late on, against a team in a similar position, at the business end of the season - takes the prize for me.

Morecambe is one of only 3 grounds in the league I haven't done (Barrow and FGR being the other 2), so you can sense my joy that I chose to go England v Brazil instead of this.... :rolleyes:

Arguably our best win of the season that. I know we outplayed Salford for large parts in both games and Notts away was a comfortable win in the end - but to come from behind twice, so late on, against a team in a similar position, at the business end of the season - takes the prize for me.

Morecambe is one of only 3 grounds in the league I haven't done (Barrow and FGR being the other 2), so you can sense my joy that I chose to go England v Brazil instead of this.... :rolleyes:

Definitely an important win as we reach the business end of the season. And a huge confidence booster to come from behind twice in one game especially in horrible conditions. But I thought Morecambe looked very average and we made very hard work of that 2-3 win.

What will be will be. I hope we make the playoffs but won’t be too disappointed if we don’t make it. Next season, however, there are not excuses other than to make automatic spots.

What will be will be. I hope we make the playoffs but won’t be too disappointed if we don’t make it. Next season, however, there are not excuses other than to make automatic spots.
To say that, I presume you feel you can see gradual improvements, as in, say, we look like we are one year in to a two year project? Or signs that the team are learning from their mistakes, particularly defensively?

Otherwise, why just be disappointed this season, but say in advance that there are not ANY excuses next season?

There are certainly no guarantees that the budget for next season will be any higher than this.

So why do you feel that the team should definitely be doing a lot better by August?

To say that, I presume you feel you can see gradual improvements, as in, say, we look like we are one year in to a two year project? Or signs that the team are learning from their mistakes, particularly defensively?

Otherwise, why just be disappointed this season, but say in advance that there are not ANY excuses next season?

There are certainly no guarantees that the budget for next season will be any higher than this.

So why do you feel that the team should definitely be doing a lot better by August?

A number of reasons.

1) budget might not be bigger next season but it doesn’t need to be - it just needs to be used better in certain areas (i.e. up front) - hopefully Andrews plays a big part in addressing this

2) I’m expecting a few comings and goings in the summer with the squad that starts the season more in tune with the style of play that Clemence is looking for.

3) A coach that has been brought in to change the playing style should benefit greatly from working with his squad in pre-season.

4) there are signs of improvement, yes - number of chances created and goal attempts has noticeably increased under Clemence and particularly of late.

A few reasons/excuses as to why we’re not better placed this season that shouldn’t be so influential next season.

A number of reasons.

1) budget might not be bigger next season but it doesn’t need to be - it just needs to be used better in certain areas (i.e. up front) - hopefully Andrews plays a big part in addressing this

2) I’m expecting a few comings and goings in the summer with the squad that starts the season more in tune with the style of play that Clemence is looking for.

3) A coach that has been brought in to change the playing style should benefit greatly from working with his squad in pre-season.

4) there are signs of improvement, yes - number of chances created and goal attempts has noticeably increased under Clemence and particularly of late.

A few reasons/excuses as to why we’re not better placed this season that shouldn’t be so influential next season.
Agree with all of that, particularly point 2).
SC has had only had one window, and that was the notoriously difficult January window.
He can juggle the squad in the summer and build his own team.

A number of reasons.
I can see what you mean but I don't actually think that a different playing style necessarily gives you a better chance of success and certainly not automatic promotion. More excitement - I accept. More entertainment - I accept.

So 2) will undoubtedly give us a more attacking style, if that is how SC wants to play but he has not previously coached a team to League Two promotion, so saying there are no excuses not to be automatically promoted is pretty demanding IMHO.

I agree with 4} but those signs of improvement in goal attempts has to be balanced against how more fragile we look in defence and how many individual mistakes from defenders have crept in to our games. If I had a pound for every time someone has posted "ffs" about some goals we have recently conceded, I could buy a few pints 😊

Having abandoned Project Harris when our goal difference was -2 and then temporary project Millen at -6, we now have a goal difference of -8.

We were 8th when Harris left, 8th when Millen moved aside and are 8th now.

We have not changed our scouting or coaching structure since last summer, just the head coach so my expectations are that we will be creating and scoring more goals and also conceding more. Much like recent games v Tranmere, Grimsby and Morecambe.

Anything better than that would delight me but I would not say that there are "no excuses" for not being in the top three next season. Clem has not proved enough yet to be that confident.

Last edited:
I can see what you mean but I don't actually think that a different playing style necessarily gives you a better chance of success and certainly not automatic promotion. More excitement - I accept. More entertainment - I accept.

So 2) will undoubtedly give us a more attacking style, if that is how SC wants to play but he has not previously coached a team to League Two promotion, so saying there are no excuses not to be automatically promoted is pretty demanding IMHO.

I agree with 4} but those signs of improvement in goal attempts has to be balanced against how more fragile we look in defence and how many individual mistakes from defenders have crept in to our games. If I had a pound for every time someone has posted "ffs" about some goals we have recently conceded, I could buy a few pints 😊

Having abandoned Project Harris when our goal difference was -2 and then temporary project Millen at -6, we now have a goal difference of -8.

We were 8th when Harris left, 8th when Millen moved aside and are 8th now.

We have not changed our scouting or coaching structure since last summer, just the head coach so my expectations are that we will be creating and scoring more goals and also conceding more. Much like recent games v Tranmere, Grimsby and Morecambe.

Anything better than that would delight me but I would not say that there are "no excuses" for not being in the top three next season. Clem has not proved enough yet to be that confident.
All fair points, but I don’t think anyone is saying they are confident that Clem will make us genuine challengers next season.
The point being made is that IF Clem has another transfer window, IF he is backed in that window, IF he has his own squad and IF he has been given time to impose his style on his squad (which he will if he is still here next season), then he will be short on excuses if we are not challenging next season.
May seem harsh to some but I think SC knew the aims of the owners when he took the job.

A very interesting debate but I think maybe only Stockport and Wrexham, perhaps MK, would have felt they were in a position to demand automatic promotion with no excuses.

Fans from Crewe, Barrow, Crawley and even possibly Mansfield might have had found their current positions in the table pleasantly surprising. Maybe that's just my take on it.

Whereas fans of Bradford, Salford and Swindon, for instance, may have had higher expectations.

So if we reach Christmas playing well and showing signs of steady improvement in attack but are still only about 6th or 7th (maybe by conceding more) will we rip it up and go for another reset?

I think you’ve got a bit carried away with the respective merits of different playing styles, GBN. For me it’s an irrelevance here -whatever playing style we wish to use, we’ll be better equipped to implement it with
- pre-season training
- incoming / outgoing transfers

tailored to getting the best out of it.