The Official Morecambe Match Thread (Sponsored by a returning Josh Andrews "for all your playoff desperation needs") | Vital Football

The Official Morecambe Match Thread (Sponsored by a returning Josh Andrews "for all your playoff desperation needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
It feels like a long time since the home draw with Grimsby last time out, a decent performance according to most sources, but resulting in only a second point from 12 at a time of the season where results are imperative.

Today it's a long haul to the Lancashire coast to take on a 12th-placed Morecambe side who have lost their last three on the bounce, effectively ending their own playoff ambitions.

All the talk emanating from the club this week centred around still believing in the possibility of making the playoffs, whilst acknowledging that our total inability to find the net will be the cause should we miss out. We remain the lowest scorers in the division for the third season running and have registered 39 shots at goal over our last two home games with just two goals and two points to show for it. It says something about our lack of forward options that Josh Andrews is being touted for a squad place today following injury when he will be some way from match fit having not featured in a league game for over four months.

The other consideration today is whether to return to five at the back as a result of Masterson returning from suspension. Going to a flat back four has seen our attacking intent improve markedly, but with no-one to finish them off our goal tally remains miserly. Is it therefore better to try and snatch one for a Gillsy 0-1 away win, or go a bit more gung-ho in the hope of scoring more than once despite not having the tools to achieve that?

For me, this game is pretty much shit or bust for our playoff hopes, we may only be a point off, but there's three teams above us for the final playoff spot and our rancid goal difference effectively adds another point into the equation. Every side bar Wimbledon also has at least a game in hand over us, plus we have Mansfield and Barrow amongst our final seven fixtures. We have to start winning from today to retain any realistic hope of a top seven finish, otherwise it's another season in the basement and a story of what could have been if we'd gone all out to fix the glaring issue with our frontline that's dogged us for years.

Our record in the head to head is excellent suffering just one defeat in our 11 meetings, although most of our victories have come at Priestfield, with just a solitary win coming at the Shrimps' former stadium, Christie Park in January 2009, one I was there for with a bunch of Gills supporting pals who these days can barely be tempted as far as Priestfield. Ah well, maybe one day we can experience the delights of some far flung Northern outpost again.

Safe travels to all those making the lengthy trip, I hope the roads and public transport operators are kind to you. I'll be tuning in on a train to London, hopefully terrifying my fellow passengers by bellowing my approval as Gills go goal crazy in the stonking high-scoring win that we've been promised for eons.

Enjoy the game and...

COYG!!!

For me, this game is pretty much shit or bust for our playoff hopes, we may only be a point off, but there's three teams above us for the final playoff spot and our rancid goal difference effectively adds another point into the equation.

This, absolutely. If the right Gills team turn up we can live to fight on. A loss and our season is over.

COYG

Despite losing their last 3 Morecambe will be right up for this. A win would take them above us with a game in hand. They score more goals than us but clearly they have started conceding a few as well.
Very tight game I feel, with Clemence needing to summon all his tactical nous to try and pinch all three points.

I feel we’ve been saying “this is a must-win game” for weeks. The fact is we’re surrounded by shit, teams who are just as inconsistent as us.

I reckon today will be designated must-win and we’ll fall short. However, only one out of the 5 teams around us will win, thus prolonging the torture until Mansfield.

Mansfield will be the equivalent of the opposition going 3-0 up in the 80th minute after some resemblance of a Gills comeback. They could’ve just buried us in the first half but no, they just prolong our misery

Our record in this neck of the woods this season is good. Good omen or the kiss of death? IFollow for me today rather than attending as had to pick up the eldest son from university. Fancy a narrow Gills win.

I’d say this is a must win as it’s essential we get a run together starting now at a crucial point of the season having been in (at best) indifferent form of late. If we can win today and beat Crewe at our place next week it’d set up an interesting finish. I’m not sure why as there’s no evidence to back this up but I’ve got a feeling we’re gonna win today. I follow it is. UTG.

:wagging: Don't you dare. Anyone.

Personally I think our season is over as far as playoffs or promotion are concerned.

Just hoping for a good performance.
I agree, after our last 4 results the play offs are unlikely but with 21 points to play for and being just off the play offs, the season certainly ain’t over.
COYG

Might have a couple of peronis this afternoon

Edit 1-1 today, after conceding first

Last edited:
1/. Good to see Andrews on the bench.
2/. Can't make a 4-4-2 out of that 11.

3/. n/g Pity any poor Ebbsfleet fans that made it all the way to Halifax to have the game called off at 2pm. Poor show!

I agree, after our last 4 results the play offs are unlikely but with 21 points to play for and being just off the play offs, the season certainly ain’t over.
COYG
Do you really think we'll make the playoffs? And if we do, that we'll get through them?

I think that getting to the playoffs just delays recruitment as we can't be certain of confirming to prospective new players which division we'll be playing in. So they can't really commit. And nor can we.

Do you really think we'll make the playoffs? And if we do, that we'll get through them?

I think that getting to the playoffs just delays recruitment as we can't be certain of confirming to prospective new players which division we'll be playing in. So they can't really commit. And nor can we.
It’s baby steps
1st is to get in the playoffs
2nd is to stay in the playoffs until the season ends
3rd is to win the playoffs
Then worry about everything else.