The Official Mansfield Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Birthday Laxatives "for all your party pooping needs") | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official Mansfield Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Birthday Laxatives "for all your party pooping needs")

Never said its all his fault. I'm just questioning whether he's the right manager for league two football

Getting the right players is key but you also need the right manager to understand how to be successful in league 2. I'm not convinced someone with ZERO league 2 experience was a gamble worth taking.

If Clemence is so good then you might have thought he'd have gotten more out of this squad. I didn't like Harris football one bit but I suspect we'd have finished higher had we kept him.

Dave Challiner was appointed by Stockport in 2021 when County were mid-table. He had around 3 months League two experience. Not long prior to that he was sacked by non league Fylde.
Last year Stockport fans wanted him sacked.
They ran roughshod over the league this year.

The key has been stability and investment, especially up front.
If we have both of those, we'll go up.
I think we would have done it with Neil Harris too, fyi.

Invest in the front line.

I've said multiple times back him or sack him but be decisive. That decision needs to be made the week after the Doncaster game.

That game should change nothing - the decision should already have been made - whichever it is.

I've said multiple times back him or sack him but be decisive. That decision needs to be made the week after the Doncaster game.

That game should change nothing - the decision should already have been made - whichever it is.

Google rocks. It was stated crystal clear nearly a month ago.

“Culturally and personality-wise they are fantastic, they fit our organisation perfectly and they absolutely have my support, they are very excited, play-offs or no play-offs, to get the first transfer window in the summer to get everything right and I have every expectation that next season we will see us come right out of the gate and continue where they left off.”

Got to disagree. Mansfield delivered the pressure, they had the personnel to turn the screw. Jeffries was never going to do 90 & we put an awful lot into first half
True, however, we seem to be stuffed out with players who can't last 90 minutes and I wonder if our training regime is a bit soft. It doesn't help acquiring crocks of course.

I thought the first half was as good as we have been all season, positive, snappier passing to feet, good movement and winning battles. We rattled one of the top two teams from the off but I thought we needed at least another goal because they were bound to come back at us, Jeffries and Williams weren't going to do the full 90, we had zero extra goal threat on the bench and they had plenty to bring on. That first half suggested to me that coaching has improved several players and our overall play.

Second half it was always going to be about how we managed their threat because we'd kept them on the back foot first half. We just about kept it together in the early stages but they were a growing force and we didn't have the players to match them. Cruucially they had much better players in reserve. I don't see how Clemence could have been more attack minded at that stage. Andrews had taken a knock and has not played much football since his injury and most posters have expressed no confidence in our other attacking players.

That game was a good measure of what we are capable of, first half, and also of what is needed for next season. I don't think we are as far away as some believe and I think a lot of you were dreaming of the play offs far more than you have declared. Such disappointment leads to over criticism.

Yes Clemence confirmed post match that Jeffries and Williams could not play 90 mins, and that one or two others picked up knocks so had to come off. For Jeffries it’s understandable as he’s returning from months out of the squad, for Williams though it’s been a problem all season, I’m not sure he’s built for the rough and tumble of league 2 football.

We have, from what I can see, a significant amount of players out of contract in June ; Morris, Ehmer, S.Williams, Alexander, Masterson, Dieng, Lapslie, Hawkins and Jefferies. In addition, Mahoney and Walker are on loan. I would assume that Masterson and Jefferies will be leaving on their own accord. I can't see much benefit in keeping any of the others or the loanees. That's a complete team to replace!! I have little confidence in SC, but if he is to stay, I hope the Gallinsons, KJ and Hess have got an improved set of players lined up....stats based or otherwise!

Don’t get me wrong, there are lots of great things the owners have done, but they almost solely been off of the pitch. I think they need to reflect and learn more about how to achieve success on the pitch. And I think replacing the three stooges below them would be a start….
Thing is, it was watching whats happening on the pitch that got me into football all those years ago and not looking at flashing adverts and pretty pictures of ex players but if thats how success is measured now maybe I'm not a proper football fan.

We have, from what I can see, a significant amount of players out of contract in June ; Morris, Ehmer, S.Williams, Alexander, Masterson, Dieng, Lapslie, Hawkins and Jefferies. In addition, Mahoney and Walker are on loan. I would assume that Masterson and Jefferies will be leaving on their own accord. I can't see much benefit in keeping any of the others or the loanees. That's a complete team to replace!! I have little confidence in SC, but if he is to stay, I hope the Gallinsons, KJ and Hess have got an improved set of players lined up....stats based or otherwise!

Alexander has already gone hasn’t he?

And where have you heard Lapslie, Hawkins and Dieng are out of contract? It was widely rumoured when those 3 signed that they were given 2 and a half year deals. I’d say that’s more likely true given our circumstances at the time.

And where have you heard Lapslie, Hawkins and Dieng are out of contract? It was widely rumoured when those 3 signed that they were given 2 and a half year deals. I’d say that’s more likely true given our circumstances at the time.
No one really knows the length of the players’ contracts now as the club has a policy of not announcing it when they sign.
Max Ehmer told fans at the player of the year night that he has another year left, when many thought he’d be out of contract this summer.
Yes Alexander mutually agreed to leave in January, a strange one when he didn’t have another club to go to.

One of those "out of contract sites". I didn't realise, obviously, Alexander had gone.

Google rocks. It was stated crystal clear nearly a month ago.

“Culturally and personality-wise they are fantastic, they fit our organisation perfectly and they absolutely have my support, they are very excited, play-offs or no play-offs, to get the first transfer window in the summer to get everything right and I have every expectation that next season we will see us come right out of the gate and continue where they left off.”

I hope they don’t “continue where they left off”. As 2 wins in 10 isn’t how I’d want us to start next season.

Yes Clemence confirmed post match that Jeffries and Williams could not play 90 mins, and that one or two others picked up knocks so had to come off. For Jeffries it’s understandable as he’s returning from months out of the squad, for Williams though it’s been a problem all season, I’m not sure he’s built for the rough and tumble of league 2 football.
Pretty sure Williams hasn't completed a 90 minutes all season

Pretty sure Williams hasn't completed a 90 minutes all season
You can maybe accept that from your best player, if they are contributing with goals and assists. In the main, Williams hasn't.

For me, if I had to describe in one word the main thing you need in League Two, it would be energy. So few in this team seem to have it or be able to maintain it over 90 minutes.

That may have got us in to the play offs under Harris as his main strength was organisation. This team was just not set up to dominate games.

It will be interesting to try to work out whether Clem realised that and has tried to emulate NH's approach for the remainder of the season as it suited the players, before putting together his own team so we can properly go in another direction next season.

It may explain why it has been difficult to see a major difference in approach.