The Official Local derby v Blues Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Official Local derby v Blues Thread

Elmo can't be dropped because of his excellent ball-crossing abilities, and i can't believe that some want him dropped because of an own goal !! Anyways, we have to be focused on the game and not take them lightly as the most disappointing thing would be for them to end our excellent run of form !

Shame they've hit a bit of form. 3 weeks ago I would have had us to smash them 3 or 4 nil, but now... both sides are high on confidence so it's going to be a pretty big leveller.

I think we should still have enough. We have more quality, we have the fans, we just need to hope we have the edge needed for a big battle.

Time for Grealish to become the new Gabby and put them to the sword!

Villan84 - 5/2/2018 07:57

Elmo can't be dropped because of his excellent ball-crossing abilities, and i can't believe that some want him dropped because of an own goal !! Anyways, we have to be focused on the game and not take them lightly as the most disappointing thing would be for them to end our excellent run of form !

I can't believe anyone would want anyone dropped after 6 wins in a row.

Same XI, same result....a win for the good guys!

I think I'd drop Hourihane for this one and play Jedi or Whelan. We need someone to put these turds in their place.

Dropping a creative player for a defensive enforcer at home to a weak side sounds very small time to me.

The kind of move managers have been slated for in the past.

If you want Jedi in then Bjarnasson comes out. Like for like.

They are seriously not good enough for us to bother changing our formation for.

Home team, emphasis on us to attack, not tighten things up against a team who until the weekend had hardly scored a goal all season.

Yes we are a better team than them , and need to take that mind set into the game.

Let them worry about us.

Small Heath have a meaningless fa cup replay tomorrow night .
Again this should work in our favour. Come Sunday last 20 mins they will be blowing out their arses , same as Sheffield Utd were last week .
COYVB's .

Well said Deano, this talk of Jedi in for Hourihane doesn't add up to me. 2 DM's against the shit, if we play DM's then we'll just be inviting pressure as Hogan will be chasing lost causes again.

Had to slap myself earlier.

I actually had a few moments where I thought to myself that there is absolutely no way we will not win this one.

If only it was that straightforward!

Can't believe that many of you want to bring in Jedinak for Hourihan. We're playing Birmingham fucking City, one of the worst sides in the championship, and you want us to play two DMs??? Give them any respect at all and we let them into the game, we need to play attacking and aggressive football, take the game right to them and prove we ain't gonna be pushed around.

Jack needs protection?? No he doesn't, he's a tough boy, last weekend he got knocked around, got up and scored a few minutes later - as long as he channels his aggression like that, he'll be fine.

Elmo - one dodgy game and he should be dropped? Forgive me, but haven't we just won 6 games on the trot? No way does he get dropped.

Same team again for me. Grabban on the bench, no point in having that spuds bloke on the bench, he'll be useless in this game (not too great in most other games either)..

Hogan will be fine against this lot, i don't see the benefit of bringing Davies in for a start, we need goals, not great hold-up play. IMO Davies should never be a lone striker, not yet.

4-1 Villa, let's smash these fuckers.

No changes, we are winning, it would be ridiculous in my opinion.

(Hey romanian, good to see you about!)

The Fear - 6/2/2018 10:57

No changes, we are winning, it would be ridiculous in my opinion.

(Hey romanian, good to see you about!)

Cheers Mr Fear, alive and kicking, just very very busy :7:

I agree 100% with romanianvillan.

No need to be tentative , take the game to them and we will score goals.

I can't see what exactly we'd be losing by playing our best midfielder Jedi in place of Hourihane.
If he's the creative spark then it's hard to see tbh - and Thor pushed forward I reckon would offer more anyway. (wouldn't see it either as defensive or tentative tbh)

as for changing a winning team - well the winning run started with Jedi in the side but also has featured OhNo, Elphick and Whelan. Changing those for better available options has proven the right choice results wise. Nowt wrong with a change if it strengthens the team.

At least we have some options at the mo
3 points is all that matters

BringbakMON - 6/2/2018 13:58

I can't see what exactly we'd be losing by playing our best midfielder Jedi in place of Hourihane.
If he's the creative spark then it's hard to see tbh - and Thor pushed forward I reckon would offer more anyway. (wouldn't see it either as defensive or tentative tbh)

as for changing a winning team - well the winning run started with Jedi in the side but also has featured OhNo, Elphick and Whelan. Changing those for better available options has proven the right choice results wise. Nowt wrong with a change if it strengthens the team.

At least we have some options at the mo
3 points is all that matters

I’m not saying Hourihane is the next Merson, but he’s effective in his role. Take a quick look at the highlights from Burton match and you’ll see his involvement and work rate in the build up to all three of our goals plus other chances created. We’ve tried Thor in more advanced roles but right now he is doing a very nice job as a DM.
So, to mirror the other posts, why on earth would we replace Hourihane with a holding player then play a holding player in an advanced role that he’s never played before at this level (and in a local derby to boot)? Maybe Thor would be effective in an advanced role, but now ain’t the time to be experimenting!

You wouldn't replace Hourihane with a holding player you'd replace Barney with a holding player and the replace Hourihane with Barney .
You could actually get Hourhanes highlights into a 5 second clip , as I said it was 5 mins 25 seconds on Saturday before a he a central midfielder touched the ball ! then after 25 mins he'd touched it 3 times . Hardly much more use than a stuffed shirt . Flaps his arms about a lot but rarely does anything of note
Mind you it took some a couple of years to realise Westwood wasn't the new Carrick .
Quite a few players about who run round hiding from the ball but always look busy doing nothing

Yes I get we've won 6 on the trot and it's only Birmingham city but let's not get all cocky and complacent. It's their cup final it's never been ours .

Pick a team to win it rather than just picking a team because it won the last game . If that theory worked we'd never lose again and we all know we will .

There is always room for improvement and the weakest link is Hourihane and has been for several weeks