The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread. | Page 115 | Vital Football

The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread.

Have to remember we have owners who have invested a great deal of money in the club and won’t want to see the upward trend since they became owners falter by returning to the championship. Sure there is much work going on and major forward signings will happen soon. It’s not of might happen .... it must !!!!

& it's much the same about how good Reina is
(I guess we've a few fans of Italian reserve games)
Or maybe people have seen Reina play previously considering he’s played stacks of games for Liverpool and Napoli and think he’s a decent keeper. We are dying for experience and this guy has bucket loads of it at the highest levels of the game. Really do not understand the negativity of this deal, yes he’s a bit too old but we are desperate considering our injury situation and position in the league

Have to remember we have owners who have invested a great deal of money in the club and won’t want to see the upward trend since they became owners falter by returning to the championship. Sure there is much work going on and major forward signings will happen soon. It’s not of might happen .... it must !!!!

I believe you're right. Reckon they think they did as much as was sensible in the summer, with a view to being able to tweak things in this transfer window, whether that was plugging serious gaps or simply taking advantage of opportunities. Scouting has probably been going full blast since the summer. Hope so anyway!

Or maybe people have seen Reina play previously considering he’s played stacks of games for Liverpool and Napoli and think he’s a decent keeper. We are dying for experience and this guy has bucket loads of it at the highest levels of the game. Really do not understand the negativity of this deal, yes he’s a bit too old but we are desperate considering our injury situation and position in the league

great stuff - fans of recent Napoli games (well 2 seasons ago) can say how he looked.
When he last played in England, before being replaced by Mignolet, Joe Hart was England keeper - maybe we should go for him instead ?
5 keepers - always room for another 37yr old.
We're dying for quality now rather than in yesteryear.
who knows maybe after not playing for a while he'll be adequate

woot

Last edited:
Benteke is a confidence player and he was never accepted at liverpool. At palace he had injuries and as a result lost his way through that lack of confidence. If he signs for us, the moment he sets foot on the pitch will be a rather odd second coming of Christ type of reception which he will thrive on. Long term? No. Dig us out of a hole now on loan? Yes Siree.

I see him on loan and a younger permanent signing.

I think there's more to this thsn lazy journalism

And he will be invaluable for the development of Nyland and Sarkic. For sure we need some recruits at the top end of the pitch but you don't lose games if you keep clean sheets and that has been a problem this season.

Doris has picked up a repetitive strain injury, scrub her off as well.

She needs the help.
Our Doris is being replaced by one of those automatic tea/coffee machines that make the fancy chai latte and caramel machiatto stuff that is favoured these days.
Failing that, according to WM last week, Polly the Whiner is at a loose end and could stand in to the end of the season 😩🙄

Benteke is a sign of desperation. Why not get the band back together, snake, cleverly and Westwood?
Either invest in real quality to safely keep us up or buy championship players to look like we’re having a go (but really with an eye on promotion next season).
The next few weeks will tell us a lot about deano’s belief in the team and the owners’ belief in him.

Lots of way of looking at signings, but these days not many players even see out their current contracts never mind stay for life.
We are currently training up the not so young and hungry for other clubs to plunder when they have served their time here. The idea of making a profit is all very good but the contract getting shorter negates that profit, so we could end up not even breaking even A few old uns whose career is coming to an end who has cost us little but wages for 18 months certainly won't fo us any harm The risky ones are the ones like Newcastle and West Ham and the rest of the perennial underachievers sign .
The £40m ones from the European leagues who can't hack it in England

Benteke is a sign of desperation. Why not get the band back together, snake, cleverly and Westwood?
Either invest in real quality to safely keep us up or buy championship players to look like we’re having a go (but really with an eye on promotion next season).
The next few weeks will tell us a lot about deano’s belief in the team and the owners’ belief in him.

Don’t think it will tbh OTITM, we all know that January, probably even more so now than in the past, is an extremely difficult month to recruit the kind of quality both we as fans and I’m sure the coaches and hierarchy would ideally want. If we were in a comfortable position in the league I very much doubt the likes of Benteke would get a mention, let alone be considered but if we can’t get real quality in, ie £25m +, it’s a case of short term solutions for long term gain. The true moulding of any squad comes in the summer (though whether we got that right last summer is still open to question!) Other than the odd exception, clubs don’t want to lose their top players in the middle of the season which makes the January window a bloody nightmare if like us you’re forced to recruit with injuries to key players and are in danger of relegation. In a January window, Drinkwater for McGinn and Reina for Heaton is an acceptable start for me. That’s not me being happy with second best, it’s just I think being realistic in the current window.