The Official Harrogate Town Match Thread (Sponsored by For the Love of God, Win the Game Gills "for all your desperation needs") | Page 15 | Vital Football

The Official Harrogate Town Match Thread (Sponsored by For the Love of God, Win the Game Gills "for all your desperation needs")

I’m hoping that Clem is going to look at himself as well Mark.
I can’t figure out why the subs were like for like when we needed goals. He put Walker on and played him in midfield.
Surely he should have left Hawks on and added Andrews to play two big guys up front and go long, with Laps and Clarke coming in late in pick up the clearance balls.
Personally I think he should go 4-4-2 next match with Mackenzie at the right back and Hutton wide right whipping the ball across to the huge forward players.
It’s literally a must win not a not lose.
I was thinking just this.
Also, most of us on here have supported the Gills for long enough that we don’t expect us to be Barca every week.
If we get dicked by a team vastly superior, if we give it a go but just aren’t good enough then so be it. We have learned to accept that over the years.
What I, and I suspect most of you, can’t stand is if I come away thinking they haven’t put it all in.
The reason this thread is full of so much anger is because yesterday we seemed to just roll over and have our tummies tickled.
That just ain’t the Gills way, no matter how poor we may be.
Boy, do we need a response on Saturday.
The owners and fans deserve better.
Professional pride should be the minimum that any of us can expect.

I`m back in Lancs and, following a long, hard reflection, I can confirm that the Steak & Gravy pies sold from the special kiosk in the away end are the best frikin pies i`ve ever had at a football ground. Filled with chunky steak and made with quality pastry, they are awesome and live up to the recent viral on-line praise. Also, the young people taking orders along the queue, those making the pies in the cabin and those serving were a terrific group of friendly, helpful smiley faced youngsters doing a super job.

Much as i`d like to pour the same praise in the direction of the Gills, i`m afraid I can`t begin to compare the super home pies with away serving dished up on the pitch. Plenty of gravy, no meat, pretty wishy-washy and mysteriously cold !

Enigmatic Gills. I thought we were actually pretty decent in the first half. Second half - will be, in my mind, a mystery for some time to come.

But, I`ve already moved on and am looking forward to being at the games at Bradford and Mansfield and shouting for the boys. It`s still possible - improbable, yes. But possible - i`ll go with that thought.

If all else fails, there`s next season. But !!! Brad and Shannon - some of us are getting older and want to see GFC back in the Championship - please can we get some proper frontmen in for 24/25 and let`s give L2 a right seeing to. Thank you.

UTG.

Team selection for Saturday should be interesting. Surely after these comments his credibility & authority will be questioned if there aren't changes.
Does he have many options to ring the changes?

Re: Young players: have Gbode, Sithole, Macarthur, Orji and Giles suddenly become ready for first team action, when not considered so before?

All the others around the team have been tried, not rated, and binned. Should we bring back and give starts to Nads, Malone, Ogie, S Williams? Or start Jayden Clarke?

Do we resort to the adage along the lines that a player never looks so good as when he is not playing. It then becomes a bit of a merry go round crossed with musical chairs.

Anyone calling for him to leave needs to watch this.
Clearly pissed off.
Called it all out and didn't deny anything.

What he's saying matches what a lot of us are saying/seeing.

SC isn't the issue.

Can he motivate reaction from this team ? Time will tell.

I liked what he said but words are easy......actions are something else all together.

Professional footballers need motivating.... there's the problem right there.
They are still human beings and we all need a bit of a lift sometime.

If we fail to win the last couple of home games I suspect the crowd will turn quite nasty on this team and some of them would struggle to build a case that they don't deserve some of it.

They are still human beings and we all need a bit of a lift sometime.

If we fail to win the last couple of home games I suspect the crowd will turn quite nasty on this team and some of them would struggle to build a case that they don't deserve some of it.
After Saturday the lift they need is a rocket up their arse (or a boot) to put them in their place in no uncertain terms. Oh sorry, not allowed to do that anymore.

Team selection for Saturday should be interesting. Surely after these comments his credibility & authority will be questioned if there aren't changes.
Depends really.

On the one hand you could make a good case for binning them all off, not that there’s anything much better to come in instead, but that seems a little like letting them off easy.

I’d be quite happy (maybe happy isnt’t quite the right word) for him to field the same team and very publicly challenge them to face up to the supporters and show if they actually do care.

Re: Young players: have Gbode, Sithole, Macarthur, Orji and Giles suddenly become ready for first team action, when not considered so before?

All the others around the team have been tried, not rated, and binned. Should we bring back and give starts to Nads, Malone, Ogie, S Williams? Or start Jayden Clarke?

Do we resort to the adage along the lines that a player never looks so good as when he is not playing. It then becomes a bit of a merry go round crossed with musical chairs.
Exactly this. The subs didn't cover themselves in glory either. Ogie could be worth a go but does anyone really think S Williams or Nadesan are the answer? Jefferies might well improve us but seems to have been injured for most of the season.

As for the youngsters... Matty MacArthur was on the bench for Tonbridge yesterday, Orji I believe is at Hemel Hempstead who've lost 10 of their last 12 games - both in National League South. Sam Gale is playing one level lower than that, the others I've lost track of but we probably can't recall them at this stage of the season anyway.

I went yesterday, my views on that performance have been covered already, Mark GRS's idea of fielding the same team against Bradford is a good one. A repeat of yesterday is unthinkable, but if that happens SC should go again with them and see what reception they get at Priestfield. They would have blown the play off's let them then face the fans.

Simples, get a decent coach, after all they are supposed to give shape and direction to improve a'team'
Otherwise just rely on blaming everyone else and spending lots of money.

Either way i am still stupid enough to keep watching lol.

Doncaster Rovers had a new manager at the start of the season and were in a relegation battle but stuck with the manager and are on such a good run of form that if they win their games in hand they will go above us, no doubt their fans were calling for a change of manager

Doncaster Rovers had a new manager at the start of the season and were in a relegation battle but stuck with the manager and are on such a good run of form that if they win their games in hand they will go above us, no doubt their fans were calling for a change of manager
Were they ever actually in the bottom two, though? I think Sutton and FGR have occupied those places almost the whole season.

I think Donny's lowest ebb was end of Jan/Start of Feb when they were still 7 points clear of the bottom two, having achieved a point per game.

They have been on a great winning run but technically still only 14th, so I suspect reaching 7th will be beyond them.

Not scoring more than 2 a game though so the manager will be on borrowed time for being too boring and lucky. ;)

Last edited:
Were they ever actually in the bottom two, though? I think Sutton and FGR have occupied those places almost the whole season.

I think Donny's lowest ebb was end of Jan/Start of Feb when they were still 7 points clear of the bottom two, having achieved a point per game.

They have been on a great winning run but technically still only 14th, so I suspect reaching 7th will be beyond them.

Not scoring more than 2 a game though so the manager will be on borrowed time for being too boring and lucky. ;)
Seeing as there record for their first 7 games was W0 D2 L5 I think you will find they were in the bottom 2 from the 12th August till 16th September. They have won their last 5 inc games against Crawley, Crewe and last night Wrexham so I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Last edited:

I think there will be a change of shape with a return to a back 5. One of the midfielders will miss out. Dieng for me. Might use McKenzie as one of the 3 central defenders.

Personally would bin Walker now & use Gbode. Need to see more of him in first team action.

My point remains that to make no player changes after such a wretched display & the subsequent angry post match interview would undermine Clemence. He's got to show he means business & will not tolerate such rubbish.